6700k, 6800k or wait for kabylake?

breeze8

I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU (and motherboard) from an AMD FX 6300. As it says in the title I am trying to decide between the i7 6700k and the 6800k or waiting for the KabyLake cpu's to come out January time.

Currently the 6700k is on sale from £349.99 to £319.99 and the 6800k is on sale from £449.99 to 389.99 so I'm tempted to just go with one of them. So what I'm saying is do you guys think it is better off waiting for the new kabylakes to come out or go for the 6700k/6800k. I would be using my PC for gaming (and possibly streaming) and work related stuff e.g. design/3d modelling/ programming.

Thanks for the help in advance :).

Unless you urgently need the upgrade, its worth waiting to see if kaby lake will be worth it over skylake.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

if your workload can use the cores i would get the 6800K now because thats a good deal and if you can find a good deal on an X99 board it would be great, but if your workload cant use all the cores then i would wait for kabylake and get a 7700K

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Personally I highly prefer the x99 chipset and cpu lines.... soldered ihs so LoweR Temps, lots of pcie lanes, lots of ram slots, way better boards. but that's just me..

Thanks for the help. I think I'm leaning more towards the 6700k at the moment. Just wanna make sure it can handle streaming and be powerful enough to last a good number of years (don't want to end up wasting money).

I'm in the same boat. I've decided to wait for kaby lake which is expected to drop in January. Prices are similar, why not wait and get the newest CPU?

2 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

why not wait and get the newest CPU?

I would but at the moment they've got discounts on them and the motherboards too. I'm still tempted by the kabylake though. :)

Like i said, i see no harm in waiting till January-February to buy the Intel's new flagship. The price is so damn close and the release of the CPU is just around the corner, buying an 6700k right now, you could end up regretting it. However, i highly doubt the difference between botch CPUs is going to be big. Probably like a 5-10% bump in performance. So if you find a very good deal on 6700k+mobo, you could go for it. If the discount is not that big, then you should wait. Anyway, it's easier for me to decide since i already have a compatible motherboard, you'll probably be better off taking advantage of bundle deals.

We are a little over one month to CES. Just wait and see.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

wait for kaby lake. Some sites claim the 7700k can reach 5GHz easily

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

2 hours ago, breeze8 said:

Ive decided to wait for kaby lake. thanks.

if Kaby lake sucks Remember Prices for Skylake Would drop