My friend bet me his computer that his TV can display 600 fps.

Old Gregg

marketing speak to compete with 120/240hz lcd tvs. looks like they succeeded in selling their tv to your friend based on a bunch of numbers.

regardless, plasmas are beasts and i prefer them over lcds.

He has some high end Samsung TV that is marketed as 600hz.

On Thursday I'll let you guys know what it's like using his dual 780s.

if the output source know to get 600hz it will be possible but i don't think he know the concept of it.

like all the people said maybe on mine sweeper or just on 240p res

if the output source know to get 600hz it will be possible but i don't think he know the concept of it.

like all the people said maybe on mine sweeper or just on 240p res

Minesweeper is the destroyer of GPUs :P

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Its plasma they advertized the hz when their trying to compete with lcd. Which is stupid because they dont refresh in the same way at all

and did you win?

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

and did you win?

What do you think?????? lolol

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

What do you think?????? lolol

did he give it or did he make excuses? hope the first

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

did he give it or did he make excuses? hope the first

either way, he lost the argument :). but yeeeea i hope he didnt make excuses

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

He has some high end Samsung TV that is marketed as 600hz.

On Thursday I'll let you guys know what it's like using his dual 780s.

its a plasma. so the refresh rate is simulated anyways its not real. they use some sort of light flickering trick to simulate it so u basically won before the test

its a plasma. so the refresh rate is simulated anyways its not real. they use some sort of light flickering trick to simulate it so u basically won before the test

Not really, plasmas just work in different ways.  They use voltage to ignite Noble gases to produce light, but it can only be all the way bright or all the way dark, not in between.  So during each frame it does 10 voltage pulses.  If the plasma is ignited for 5 out of the 10 cycles and left off for the other 5, then the pixel will let out only half the light that it would if it were on the whole time, and it is fast enough that to us it just appears at half brightness.  So that's how a plasma TV controls variable brightness.  Whereas in an LCD a "cycle" is an electrical current modifying the position of a liquid crystal in order to allow or block (or inbetween) the light from the backlight from passing through the LCD.  It does this once per frame, to modify the brightness of that pixel during that frame.

Basically, Hz refers to completely different things in the two technologies.

Not really, plasmas just work in different ways.  They use voltage to ignite Noble gases to produce light, but it can only be all the way bright or all the way dark, not in between.  So during each frame it does 10 voltage pulses.  If the plasma is ignited for 5 out of the 10 cycles and left off for the other 5, then the pixel will let out only half the light that it would if it were on the whole time, and it is fast enough that to us it just appears at half brightness.  So that's how a plasma TV controls variable brightness.  Whereas in an LCD a "cycle" is an electrical current modifying the position of a liquid crystal in order to allow or block (or inbetween) the light from the backlight from passing through the LCD.  It does this once per frame, to modify the brightness of that pixel during that frame.

Basically, Hz refers to completely different things in the two technologies.

Thanks you for posting this! Im so glad someone else understands what plasma display technology is and how it works. Also thanks for saving me the time of having to type something similar up.

I believe your friend is referring to Samsung's CMR. Which converts 600 CMR = 120Hz.

I believe your friend is referring to Samsung's CMR. Which converts 600 CMR = 120Hz.

Sounds like it.  Even then, there's no way to display 120Hz on current TV except in 3D... and even then it's just 60fps... in 720p!  :lol:

My Rigs (past and present)

So I guess you have to give him yours when you loose?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

You're not going to get his computer.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Not with older games.  Some people can play 300fps in Half Life 2 on a single Titan.  Double that up, and it should easily be able to do 600fps. 

The problem is a display that can display 600fps natively, in full, with no interpolation and with no frame dropping.  Almost no displays can natively do that yet, only a few vendors such as vpixx.com has a 500fps @ 500Hz capable projector for vision science researchers, but it's monochrome.

I play it at 70-ish on my netbook. MY NETBOOK IS SO POWERFUL xD But that's at low. Still though.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

But it doesn't have to produce 600 unique frames, if it produces 600 frames of the exact image then it's still 600 Hz

Fixed it for ya.  Repeat refreshes do not create extra "frames per second".   

Playing 30fps on a 60Hz monitor, doesn't automatically mean 60fps.

Some manufacturers multiply the LCD refresh rate and the backlight rate :-) so if you have a 60hz lcd and 100hz back lighting voila 600hz... This makes me wanna pull my hair out :angry:

Can I have your friend?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Time to bust out some Solitaire.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Technically, flashing 600 times the same single image during one second still means displaying at 600Hz.

Spoiler

Technically, flashing 600 times the same single image during one second still means displaying at 600Hz.

600 Hz does NOT mean 600 fps.

Did I mention your friend is a bit of an idiot?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If it were flashing an image 600 times then it would be, but it's not.  A 600Hz TV is not flashing an image 600 times.