Tools needed to build a gaming PC

AniJan

A screw driver, static wrist strap and your hands.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

A screw driver, static wrist strap and your hands.

What size?

And no, not including my hands. lol

Just now, AniJan said:

What size?

ROFLMAO .....

Should be the standard Philips #2. You miiiight need a socket but highly doubt it.

Go buy yourself one of these and you'll be set for pretty much anything pc building (with few exceptions).

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Pro-Tech-Toolkit/IF145-307

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just a phillips head (possibly a flathead as well) screwdriver (I'm not sure what size, but in my experience it doesn't really matter) and an anti-static wrist strap (optional - I've never used it and have never had any problems, just plug your power supply into a grounded outlet and touch it every once in a while to remove static electricity)

Just now, AniJan said:

$64?

Screw that, I'm out.

you dont have to buy one it just a suggestion

#2 philips all I use. but I do have one of those kits and it does come handy when I need to fix certain parts of my build.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, AniJan said:

$64?

Screw that, I'm out.

You don't need to buy that unless you plan on taking apart prebuilt systems. Your case will only have phillips head screws.

For building a pc, a screwdriver, and a hand (a second is optional). If these strict requirements prove elusive, one may be well advised to pursue a different profession. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

For building a pc, a screwdriver, and a hand (a second is optional). If these strict requirements prove elusive, one may be well advised to pursue a different profession. 

I second this, I've never needed more than a phillips #2.

Thank god the second one is optional though. I seem to be in a predicament.

9rk2dv.gif

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

26 minutes ago, AniJan said:

$64?

Screw that, I'm out.

That's a great screwdriver kit, I highly recommend it in general (not for solely PC building), but all you'll really need is this: [Link]

EDIT: I just used iFixit because that was quick, pretty much any standard multibit driver will work, just make sure it had Phillips #2.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

That's a great screwdriver kit, I highly recommend it in general (not for solely PC building), but all you'll really need is this: [Link]

EDIT: I just used iFixit because that was quick, pretty much any standard multibit driver will work, just make sure it had Phillips #2.

This is directed at both of you: why do people always forget to say that you need a 3/16 inch nut driver for the motherboard standoff screws? ?

I didn't know I needed one the first time I ever worked on a desktop (last February) and it held me up for a day until I was able to get one and resume my upgrades.

Yes a #2 screwdriver, an anti-static wrist strap, and a ratcheting screwdriver with a 90 degree angle to the neck for small spaces or when you run into a stubborn screw are pretty much all else you need besides some common sense but you do still need a 3/16 inch nut driver.  Just saying.  ?

5 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

This is directed at both of you: why do people always forget to say that you need a 3/16 inch nut driver for the motherboard standoff screws? ?

I didn't know I needed one the first time I ever worked on a desktop (last February) and it held me up for a day until I was able to get one and resume my upgrades.

Yes a #2 screwdriver, an anti-static wrist strap, and a ratcheting screwdriver with a 90 degree angle to the neck for small spaces or when you run into a stubborn screw are pretty much all else you need besides some common sense but you do still need a 3/16 inch nut driver.  Just saying.  ?

That particular piece had been included with the case during the times I built the PC. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

That particular piece had been included with the case during the times I built the PC. 

Really?  What case would that be?  (Just curious I promise.)

My first/main desktop was first purchased as a prebuilt so I wouldn't know if NZXT includes a nut driver but the corsair 88R and Spec-M2 cases I moved my secondary desktop to and used for the Usagi build I did for my friend did not include a nut driver.  

Perhaps it's only more expensive cases or brands?  I don't have enough experirjve buying cases to know how common including a nut driver might be.   

5 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

-snip-

I've always used either an adapter (they come with most good cases) or vice grips. Usually an adapter.

All I ever used when bulding/repairing my PC was a screwdriver.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

An el-cheapo screwdriver from your local Home Depot/Lowe's and your hands are all you need. Have a friend help if you have one available.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

11 hours ago, AniJan said:

What size?

You'd be surprised: I almost always needed a pair of extra hands: mine are too fucking big to handle most PC case internals (doesn't helps that diabetes has made my hands very numb and unresponsive) and ironically enough I like rather small enclosures so I need someone's help.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Screw Driver and nothing else. Never used any anti static stuff in 20 Years. Just ground yourself at a heater and you are good to go.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

A simple magnetic screwdriver would be preferred. You'll inevitably drop a tiny screw somewhere in your case and it will roll into a tight crevice just to taunt you. 

8 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I've always used either an adapter (they come with most good cases) or vice grips. Usually an adapter.

Adapter?

Can you give a few examples of cases that came with that?

What's a vice grip?

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

Adapter?

Can you give a few examples of cases that came with that?

What's a vice grip?

-Usually they take the form of a hex socket with a Phillips face on one side, sometimes cheapo plastic and sometimes nice metal.

-Mine did, a CM HAF XB Evo. My brother's previous case did (previous 'cause he downsized to a laptop), a Caselabs Mercury S3. Most at least come with a dinky little plastic one that works, though you should probably still check the listed accessories.

-A type of pliers/wrench that I just always have in my pocket. Their main characteristic feature is that they lock down with adjustable force. They're actually shockingly useful and versatile.

Spoiler

51HwMOzZiUL._SL1024_.jpg

49 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

-Usually they take the form of a hex socket with a Phillips face on one side, sometimes cheapo plastic and sometimes nice metal.

-Mine did, a CM HAF XB Evo. My brother's previous case did (previous 'cause he downsized to a laptop), a Caselabs Mercury S3. Most at least come with a dinky little plastic one that works, though you should probably still check the listed accessories.

-A type of pliers/wrench that I just always have in my pocket. Their main characteristic feature is that they lock down with adjustable force. They're actually shockingly useful and versatile.

Reveal hidden contents

51HwMOzZiUL._SL1024_.jpg

I see.  Thank you.

You carry a tool in your pocket?  

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

You carry a tool in your pocket?  

Isn't that were tools go? XP

I typically carry a knife (well, two...), vice grips, a flashlight, and a pencil at the very least. I have yet to find a good EDC screwdriver that I like, but once I do I'll carry that around as well.

19 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Isn't that were tools go? XP

I typically carry a knife (well, two...), vice grips, a flashlight, and a pencil at the very least. I have yet to find a good EDC screwdriver that I like, but once I do I'll carry that around as well.

The few tools I have I only got within this year to work on my computer and I put them in my handy dandy small toolbox.  

Spoiler

It's like a baby toolbox.  Isn't it cute?  ?

(Xbox One controller for scale.)image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Do you mind if I ask your age and what you do that would require carrying around tools in your pocket?  

(You could PM me if you'd be ok telling me but don't want it public.)

Sorry but I'm curious about someone carrying tools and 2 knives. (why do you need a knife?  Or two different knives?)