Want Netflix 4K? Use Edge

GoodBytes

Microsoft announces that it is the only web browser currently that support Netflix 4K streaming.

Edge and Safari are the only web browsers that support Netflix 1080p. Now, Edge take once again a step forward over other web browsers and add 4K video playback support. That said, you need Intel's Kaby Lake CPU (7th gen) CPU, and a 4K display (of course), to enjoy it, Microsoft says. That said, I don't know if this was a general comment for ultrabooks which doesn't have a dedicated graphics, or the codec used by the Edge web browser is really only CPU accelerated and therefore needs Kaby Lake.

netflix-logo_story.jpg

If you can't stand Edge, it is not the only way to enjoy Netflix 4K content. If you have the latest version of the Amazon Fire TV, or Google's ChromeCast Ultra, Roku 4, XBox One S, Nvidia Shield TV, and many more devices that advertises that they support it. But in PC space, currently, using a web browser, Edge is the only way so far (with Intel Kaby Lake CPU)

If you want to be able to stream Netflix in 4K through your browser, you're going to have to use Edge, as Microsoft announced today. Unfortunately, the feature probably won't work with your PC, as you'll need a device that uses one of Intel's seventh-generation Kaby Lake processors and of course, a 4K display.

Source: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-edge-is-now-the-exclusive-browser-to-support-4k-streaming-in-netflix

but....edge....

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I kind of think the way microsoft goes about pushing all their data gatherers is kind of unprofessional

like when you try to change your default browser, it's all like "aw cmon at least give me a try :'(" it's trying to act all personal and it gets pretty annoying 

Wait, so Edge is 4K while everything else is 720p, or did other browsers get upgraded to 1080p?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

who gives a shit?!

UHD streaming for the average american is going to be a serious problem

as of Q4 2015 data, only 31% of internet users had above 15 megabits/s internet speeds - NETFLIX recommends at least 25mbps; and this doesn't include if you have + family members using the internet at the same time

https://www.fastmetrics.com/internet-connection-speed-by-country.php#top-10-america

edge isn't that bad and super nice for low powered PCs, so eh, but the fact that you need kaby lake, I do not like that.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

who gives a shit?!

as of Q4 2015 data, only 31% of internet users had above 15 megabits/s internet speeds - NETFLIX recommends at least 25mbps; and this doesn't include if you have + family members using the internet at the same time

yes, but most of the people that have some sort of 4k display are probably invested enough to at least have 50mbps

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

who gives a shit?!

https://www.fastmetrics.com/internet-connection-speed-by-country.php#top-10-america

Right!? I don't know why we (Americans) aren't pushing for faster Internet. 

What are ISPs doing with our tax payer subsidies!? 

Just now, Xizerz said:

yes, but most of the people that have some sort of 4k display are probably invested enough to at least have 50mbps

for what reason?!!? NETFLIX's UHD streaming is poooh; you're better buying the 1080p BluRay disk - with better image quality and sound

2 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

Right!? I don't know why we (Americans) aren't pushing for faster Internet. 

What are ISPs doing with our tax payer subsidies!? 

erecting buildings!?

fending off Google Fiber?!

fighting the FCC!?

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

for what reason?!!? NETFLIX's UHD streaming is poooh; you're better buying the 1080p BluRay disk - with better image quality and sound

and how many people buy copies of things? I think a lot of people just watch a movie once maybe twice and that is it, so buying a copy seems like a waste of money, unless you really want the higher quality audio and higher picture quality, but I think most people don't care about the better audio and the better picture quality. That is atleast what I see.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

8 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

edge isn't that bad and super nice for low powered PCs, so eh, but the fact that you need kaby lake, I do not like that.

i Think thats due to codec support for 4k videos that takes away the stress of 4k is not existant in intels older chips.

I believe this is why 4k60fps is Unplayable on my i5-4690k overclocked 

Firefox and Chrome  Browsers Extension say "Hi.", and someone will make it happen sometime soon.  ;)

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

who gives a shit?!

The new issue is not just speeds, it's data caps. With all the major ISPs (Comcast, ATT, etc) now having data caps on their internet people can't stream 4k content without going over their monthly data caps. I know people who have to manually force sites to use SD or 720p only or they run out of data two weeks into the month.

ISPs are a joke... I hope Elon gets permission for his 4000 satellite network so even ISPs with their shitty molopy bullshit and blocking Google Fiber can't help but be forced to be competitive again.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

2 minutes ago, JoshB2084 said:

Firefox and Chrome  Browsers Extension say "Hi.", and someone will make it happen sometime soon.  ;)

I Think chrome just got 1080p or might not have it still you had to use the app in windows store or edge. I remeber using chrome to watch before edge was a thing or windows 10 and then got a chromecast and the difference was huge didnt understand why looked it up and that was because all Chrome supported was 720p back then 

1 minute ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

i Think thats due to codec support for 4k videos that takes away the stress of 4k is not existant in intels older chips.

I believe this is why 4k60fps is Unplayable on my i5-4690k overclocked 

well movies run at 24fps, I think they should just have said that it would be able to run on any system, but "we recommend that you have a powerful CPU if you don't have a kabylake CPU".

Just now, Dackzy said:

and how many people buy copies of things? I think a lot of people just watch a movie once maybe twice and that is it, so buying a copy seems like a waste of money, unless you really want the higher quality audio and higher picture quality, but I think most people don't care about the better audio and the better picture quality. That is atleast what I see.

there are a lot of deals going through the bargains bin or lending from family / friends

NETFLIX and the other streaming services need to take into account the possibility of off-line viewing

but that doesn't even address one primary issue with ISPs ... data caps

if my math is right, a 1H and 1/2 of movie trough netflix would eat ~16GB

20 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Microsoft are really forcing edge down our throats aren't they... 

Not Microsoft fault is the other web browsers are sleeping enjoying their current market share, instead of being at the for front of the web. At least Microsoft knows that it lacks behind a lot, and tries to not only catch up, but bring new abilities. How sad that silly devices and probably soon, SmartTV has 4K Netflix, yet a PC can't. Maybe if Google didn't treat Chrome like Microsoft treated IE 6 when it had 90% of the web browser market share, things would be a bit more exciting.

2 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

The new issue is not just speeds, it's data caps. With all the major ISPs (Comcast, ATT, etc) now having data caps on their internet people can't stream 4k content without going over their monthly data caps. I know people who have to manually force sites to use SD or 720p only or they run out of data two weeks into the month.

addressed the data caps in a subsequent post, see above

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

well movies run at 24fps, I think they should just have said that it would be able to run on any system, but "we recommend that you have a powerful CPU if you don't have a kabylake CPU".

yeah 30fps Seem to be just below maxing my CPU but youtube doesnt give a 30fps option so i cant watch many. its still pinged at 85%ish 

14 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Wait, so Edge is 4K while everything else is 720p, or did other browsers get upgraded to 1080p?

They should support 1080p.

there are a lot of deals going through the bargains bin or lending from family / friends

NETFLIX and the other streaming services need to take into account the possibility of off-line viewing

well then you would also have to have a blueray player.

but that doesn't even address one primary issue with ISPs ... data caps

if my math is right, a 1H and 1/2 of movie trough netflix would eat ~16GB

And I could not care less about that. I don't have data caps and my net is getting upgraded from 100/100 to 400/400, so don't care.

23 minutes ago, Xizerz said:

Not even.. you only need 30mbps. That is what I have, and 4K videos is not a problem.

3 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

yeah 30fps Seem to be just below maxing my CPU but youtube doesnt give a 30fps option so i cant watch many. its still pinged at 85%ish 

if youtube doesn't say 60 fps then it is 30 fps. My 4770k hasn't had any problems with streaming 4k