TouchBar MacBook Pro Reviews are coming in....and it doesn't look good

79wjd
43 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Because after throwing ten chromebooks out the window in frustration I will have spent more than just buying a Mac. 

Protip: Don't throw expensive electronics out the window

That's an F in the profile pic

8 hours ago, Magnetorheological said:

They should've just renamed the MacBook Pro the "MacBook Uni"

The 5-6 hours of battery life aren't enough to last me a full day at Uni, so yeah, this name is as wrong as the "Pro" :P 

1 minute ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

The 5-6 hours of battery life aren't enough to last me a full day at Uni, so yeah, this name is as wrong as the "Pro" :P 

Stand up and fight for one of the two power outlets in every classroom! xD

16 hours ago, Daring said:

10 years ago.

Hey. My Mom's MacBook "Pro" has a GT 8600M with 512MB VRAM.

In this case it was close to cutting edge at the time but I guess now they kind of just make compromises.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Apple's product line is so messed up right now.

It's like they are trying to turn all their laptops into the Macbook Air.

Why not have three different SKUs?

One that has thinness and lightness above everything.

One which is your standard middle of the road laptop which has a decent balance of form and function.

One which is the Pro offering, which values function over form. That actually caters to what professionals might want, like an Ethernet port, or an SD card reader, and so on.

3 hours ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

LMAO :D. While I was using my family's 15" Late 2013 Retina MBP, got an average of 5-6 hours. But I could have gotten 7 or 8 if I stayed with just using Apple apps.

RIP in pieces MBP. You'll always be in my mind/heart.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Apple's product line is so messed up right now.

Well yeah, it's been that way for ages.

It's like they are trying to turn all their laptops into the Macbook Air.

This ^^^^. I would have liked the MBP 2016 to be the same thickness and same battery size with a GTX 1060 for notebooks (or more realistically a GTX 1050Ti for notebooks)

Why not have three different SKUs?

Because then the nontechie Apple customers wouldn't know what to buy.

One that has thinness and lightness above everything.

One which is your standard middle of the road laptop which has a decent balance of form and function.

One which is the Pro offering, which values function over form. That actually caters to what professionals might want, like an Ethernet port, or an SD card reader, and so on.

This wouldn't actually be a bad idea but I think people would be jealous

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Where is the pro part? I only see gimmicky things on a fashion laptop...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

33 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Where is the pro part? I only see gimmicky things on a fashion laptop...

Sadly, yeah... Used to be good :(

The SSD isn't soldered, just proprietary so there is scope for companies to provide 3rd party upgrades down the line (Like OWC has done in the past).

The thing is that these laptops are still some of the fastest editing laptops you can buy, mainly due to FCPX being so insanely well accelerated and optimised. With the recent update FCPX updates pros are starting to use it again and this laptop is fairly attractive for that niche at least in respect to pure performance.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

This laptops is the thing competitors need for to produce something that can be actually better at everything these laptops are, and there's already laptops that are better in some ways that these macbooks already on the market.

Next year ces is going be filled with macbooks killers both being branded as killers and some that don't but can get there.

Seriously the only reason i see to buy these is being so invested in mac only software it would take significant changes to switch to other stuff like being a FCPX editor

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

8 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Because after throwing ten chromebooks out the window in frustration I will have spent more than just buying a Mac. 

I haven't had a single issue with mine, its amazing

2 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

The SSD isn't soldered, just proprietary so there is scope for companies to provide 3rd party upgrades down the line (Like OWC has done in the past).

The SSD does appear to be soldered in the touch bar models. It's NOT soldered in the non-touch bar model.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The SSD does appear to be soldered in the touch bar models. It's NOT soldered in the non-touch bar model.

Oh that is interesting, talk about alienating pros with this refresh hahaha 

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Thats such an odd decision to make. They go through the effort of making a new propriety connector and then dont use it in all their products? Especially not in a pro line? Steve jobs must be rolling in his grave. While he loved propriety he made sure his hardware ecosystem made sense.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Pretty much as expected from what could be gathered up to now (without directly buying one).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Before jumping to conclusions, I would wait for more reviews and ignore The Verge like they never published it. And every Apple review and news article should be treated the same when it comes to Verge. They are in a class of its own. 

The Verge has usually been quite positive when it came to apple products, I wouldn't expect them to be biased against the macbook.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

The Verge has usually been quite positive when it came to apple products, I wouldn't expect them to be biased against the macbook.

True, but it's also possible that the new display is far less efficient at full brightness (since it gets 25%~ brighter), but at equivalent levels it might be the same/better. So if the Verge didn't take that into account (and ran both the 2015/2016 macs at 75%/100% brightness), then that could explain the poor battery life. Although the battery is 25-30%~ smaller, so it does add up....either way, it's a pretty big let down. Even if the battery life is the same/similar, they should have gone over the 4lbs mark and put in more battery rather than leaving chunks of empty space. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

34 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Imo, and I am not joking, the Verge was not quite positive because products are good, but because they only know of Apple. This may sound like a rant from a teenage boy but I seriously mean everything I will write here. (Almost) every single article they they wrote has to be compared to some iThing. Every. Single. One. Even when there is no reason to even mention Apple. And even then their comparisons and/or facts don't hold ground most of the times. I think I can remember 2 articles in the last few years from them that tell the negative side of Apple products, with this being the third one. So I wouldn't be surprised if they left some details, be it good or bad, so I can't objectively read the headlines of their articles, let alone articles themselves. That's why I said I'll wait for more info before jumping to conclusions, because the most biased Apple news/media network (and I absolutely mean that) can not be a valid/objective source. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Ok, let´s render some 4K videos and see some performance times.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

15 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My chromebook has amazing battery life (running WINDOWS 10!) and it doesn't cost a price premium...

To be fair, your chromebook probably does have a potato CPU...

Anyone can make their windows (not sure about max or Linux) laptops last longer, all they have to do is go into advanced power options and limit their max CPU usage on battery to something kinda low.

I've got mine set at 25%, from 4-5 hours of battery life to 6-7 hours but too be fair I do have a i7 4500U in my laptop where it's powerful enough to still give me 1080p playback and surf the web ect. without struggling...

Also, best clickbait titles evar ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

adding fuel to the fire - iFixit gives the MacBook PRO Touchpad a repair score of 1 out of 10: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Touch+Bar+Teardown/73480

the problem? almost every component is soldered to the mobo and not socketed; not even the SSD

also, the power button acts like TouchID - if that button breaks, you're fucked

then again, if you had money to buy this piece of shit, then you'll have money to replace it in a Apple shop

On 11/16/2016 at 7:30 PM, djdwosk97 said:

-snip-

It's actually 67% brighter according to Apple's website.

edit: I bet next year's (or the 2018) model will fill that remaining space with batteries and Apple will try to sell it as a feature: "We managed to cramp even more battery in this thin and light unibody design." (and sexy as fuck I might add).

31 minutes ago, crisro996 said:

It's actually 67% brighter according to Apple's website.

The new Mac is 500 nits while the old Mac was around 400 nits (iirc). Does nits not scale linearly? Or maybe they measured it in some other way...or?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Most people will use stock in built brightness because they are pros which have no idea that you can change it.

And other part of people will bring brightness up if screen is able to.

Saying people will use same brightness as last year is only if apple sets it so as default.

11 minutes ago, Qwerty2323 said:

Most people will use stock in built brightness because they are pros which have no idea that you can change it.

And other part of people will bring brightness up if screen is able to.

Saying people will use same brightness as last year is only if apple sets it so as default.

From my experience, most people turn off auto brightness and set it to whatever level makes it comfortable to see what's on the screen.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler