980Ti Help

Laming

Hello! My MSI 980 Ti has died and the company refuses to RMA (even though it's within a 12 month period) because I live in Australia and I bought it from Newegg(US). My question is: what can I do to fix this card?

4 minutes ago, Laming said:

Hello! My MSI 980 Ti has died and the company refuses to RMA (even though it's within a 12 month period) because I live in Australia and I bought it from Newegg(US). My question is: what can I do to fix this card?

Do you have proof of purchase? If so I see no reason why they can refuse, its buyers rights

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

You can try pushing them a bit more, you have the warranty: no matter if you have it in Australia or the USA. Otherwise you can try contacting Nvidia directly. If you were to RMA with Newegg, they would just be an 'inbetween person' between you and Nvidia.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Do you have proof of purchase? If so I see no reason why they can refuse, its buyers rights

I do. I have access to the NewEgg account for printscreen proof, as well as a physical invoice from NewEgg that shipped with the product.

Here's what the MSI employee told me,

You’ve got an oversea model from USA. There is no global warranty for desktop components.

Then I proceeded to ask very politely if there was anything I could do, as I'm basically stuck with a hunk of metal. Here's their response;

Dear myname,

If you import a car from oversea, you cannot claim warranty recall service on it free of charge.

Only notebooks comes with 1 Year International Warranty because you have to carry it around.

Different market, different price and terms and conditions.

I believe you bought it there because it is cheaper but then you don’t get the warranties.

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

You can try pushing them a bit more, you have the warranty: no matter if you have it in Australia or the USA. Otherwise you can try contacting Nvidia directly. If you were to RMA with Newegg, they would just be an 'inbetween person' between you and Nvidia.

I tried to go through NewEgg, they responded with:

MSI can certainly refuse, Newegg shouldn't, although I'm not familiar with either Australian or US law in that matter. Best route would be to contact Newegg and they can advise.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I can't see how they are refusing, whats the difference between buying an MSI product from US/AUS or Uk, they have a 12 month warrentee on all their products surely?

It wasn't b-grade or anything?

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, stealth80 said:

I can't see how they are refusing, whats the difference between buying an MSI product from US/AUS or Uk, they have a 12 month warrentee on all their products surely?

That's exactly my thought process. Needless to say I won't be purchasing any MSI products anymore. I've RMA'd before with EVGA before and they were more than happy to replace the defective product(I just had to pay for the shipping to the location).

Circumstances where free maintenance service is not provided

In any of the following conditions, whether the Product is within the free maintenance time-limit or not, the Company may refuse to provide the maintenance service, or may request you pay related parts and labor charges, as well the to and from shipping charges;

• You are unable to present the Product's warranty card, purchase receipt or invoice for the prove of Product still within the warranty period;
  • The warranty card has been altered or its date is hard to recognize;
  • The Product is not acquired from an authorized distributor of the Company or is acquired from illicit sources;
  • The complete unit or parts of the Product has gone beyond the warranty period;
  • Any breakdown or damage caused by non-compliance of regulations stated on the user manual, or improper packaging, storage and use;
  • Any breakdown or damage caused by installation, repair, modification or removal (breaking mark, damage or loss of the product compliance label) performed by service centers or personnel not authorized by MSI;
  • Any product breakdown or damage caused by use of parts not certified by MSI's original factory;
    * The serial number pasted on a complete unit or the parts is broken, defective or tally with the mainframe;
  • Any breakdown or damage caused by accidental factors or man-made reasons (including computer virus, moving, compression, scratch (scrape), hit, crash, high temperature, high humidity, water inflow, use of inapplicable voltage, non-factory battery and transformer, stain, corrosion, etc.);
  • Any breakdown or damage caused by use of pirate software;
  • Any scrape (scratch), liquid leak, crack, etc. on the LCD screen surface;
  • Any breakdown or damage caused by natural disasters and human calamities (such as earthquake, fire, riot, etc.)

Doesn't say anything about out of area purchase. You bought it from the US, MSI US should offer repair, you may have to pay for shipping though

Ryzen Ram Guide

5 minutes ago, Laming said:

That's exactly my thought process. Needless to say I won't be purchasing any MSI products anymore. I've RMA'd before with EVGA before and they were more than happy to replace the defective product(I just had to pay for the shipping to the location).

Well MSI are certainly off my buy/recommend list now, I always thought they were decent

Ryzen Ram Guide

4 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Well MSI are certainly off my buy/recommend list now, I always thought they were decent

They are...you should have done more research before pulling the trigger on a US card...

now, what you want to do is somehow ship back the card along with the proof of purchase to someone you know in the US that will handle the repair from there for you and send you back the new card.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

you're pretty screwd OP, your only solution is that of what @i_build_nanosuits suggested. HOWEVER that comes with the risk of further damage in shipping (your responsibility) and also theft on the side of the US resident.

I don't see why it matters where a product was bought as long as it was from an authorised outlet. What if the OP bought it on holiday? What if I bought a pair of sunglassed from Germany next week and lens fel out? I'm pretty sure Oakley would still replace them. The point is one of their products has failed within the warranty period and they should honour that regardless of where it was bought. I do also agree that OP should pay for the shipping for such a service

Ryzen Ram Guide

24 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

I don't see why it matters where a product was bought as long as it was from an authorised outlet.

Things are never as simple as they seem. Below not speaking specifically about MSI as I don't know what system they run.

A lot of manufacturing companies will have regional support organisations. Products sold in a region have to be supported in that region, not necessarily another region. They will argue that each region has different needs and they customise support as such. Cost structures will vary. e.g. Company US may supply a product, that will be supported in US only. If you're in EU, you buy the EU supplied product and return it to their EU equivalent, which can be a separate legal entity to US. Products may be customised to comply with the different regional laws. Even if the hardware is same, they may need to include different documentation to legally sell the product. Warranty periods may vary by law also. They don't want the case where the US companies supplies the product (and gets the profit), but EU ends up paying for the support. Of course, come companies may decide to offer a unified worldwide service, that is possible too.

I can only talk of UK law here, when you buy something your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. To correct any problems, usually your contact point should be where you bought it. Again, policy may vary. For example, the last EVGA GPU I bought specifically has a statement on their box that for support, you should contact them and not blindly return it to the retailer. Legally, if there remained an unsolved problem, you would still have to take it up with the retailer.

I don't know how the law works if a product is sent across borders. Most sellers would have their own terms and conditions which you must agree to if you buy from them. I would not be surprised if that specified which law is in effect, most likely their local one. They wont necessarily be able to disclaim any rights in the buyer's country. Enforcement is another matter...

There are also tax considerations when shipping goods back and forwards internationally, but I'll leave that for now.

As a consumer, I wish there was one world price, and one unified support structure. Don't expect that to happen unless the world becomes more open. Recent events suggest we're going in the other direction.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

32 minutes ago, porina said:

Things are never as simple as they seem. Below not speaking specifically about MSI as I don't know what system they run.

A lot of manufacturing companies will have regional support organisations. Products sold in a region have to be supported in that region, not necessarily another region. They will argue that each region has different needs and they customise support as such. Cost structures will vary. e.g. Company US may supply a product, that will be supported in US only. If you're in EU, you buy the EU supplied product and return it to their EU equivalent, which can be a separate legal entity to US. Products may be customised to comply with the different regional laws. Even if the hardware is same, they may need to include different documentation to legally sell the product. Warranty periods may vary by law also. They don't want the case where the US companies supplies the product (and gets the profit), but EU ends up paying for the support. Of course, come companies may decide to offer a unified worldwide service, that is possible too.

I can only talk of UK law here, when you buy something your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. To correct any problems, usually your contact point should be where you bought it. Again, policy may vary. For example, the last EVGA GPU I bought specifically has a statement on their box that for support, you should contact them and not blindly return it to the retailer. Legally, if there remained an unsolved problem, you would still have to take it up with the retailer.

I don't know how the law works if a product is sent across borders. Most sellers would have their own terms and conditions which you must agree to if you buy from them. I would not be surprised if that specified which law is in effect, most likely their local one. They wont necessarily be able to disclaim any rights in the buyer's country. Enforcement is another matter...

There are also tax considerations when shipping goods back and forwards internationally, but I'll leave that for now.

As a consumer, I wish there was one world price, and one unified support structure. Don't expect that to happen unless the world becomes more open. Recent events suggest we're going in the other direction.

But again, if the OP returns to the US support why should it be an issue? Maybe this is my angry northern side, but I still don't see why it's an issue provided the Op sends it to the US. I'm not saying it should be supported by MSI Aus or w/e the equivalent is

Ryzen Ram Guide

14 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

But again, if the OP returns to the US support why should it be an issue? Maybe this is my angry northern side, but I still don't see why it's an issue provided the Op sends it to the US. I'm not saying it should be supported by MSI Aus or w/e the equivalent is

Maybe shipping costs? Even if he sends the card back on his own dime, they sure have to send the repaired one back at their own, shipping that distant can't be cheap.

Anyway, I can semi understand the position of MSI, I just don't understand why newegg - as the official seller - won't take the card back. Just as @porina said, I thought they had to.

27 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Sorry, I replied a bit out of context and agree Newegg should be doing more than they are. The rest was more generalised.

13 hours ago, Laming said:

i'd say take a real look into buyers rights as this is a sketchy as move from a company this big

15 hours ago, Laming said:

Newegg sold you card, aware you lived in AU, and shipped it to you, both parties entered a legally binding contract as such, part of that contract was a 1 year warrenty, it should be Newegg's responsibility regardless of area since they where willing to take your money in exchange for the product. Contact the Australian consumer rights people, they should direct you the best way to deal with that. 

Yours faithfully

• 6 months later...
On 15.11.2016 at 0:19 AM, Lord Nicoll said:

Newegg sold you card, aware you lived in AU, and shipped it to you, both parties entered a legally binding contract as such, part of that contract was a 1 year warrenty, it should be Newegg's responsibility regardless of area since they where willing to take your money in exchange for the product. Contact the Australian consumer rights people, they should direct you the best way to deal with that. 

that would probably the best thing 

1 minute ago, Tiwaz said:

Can you afford to go to court?

Probably,but chances are he won't win probably MSI had payed the laoyur  like $1000 to protest their side and then he will definately not help him

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard