3rd World Countries?

duckwithanokhat
5 minutes ago, duckwithanokhat said:

What makes a country a third world country?

poverty, literacy, infrastructure, look at a country like Canada, then compare it to a country like Bangladesh. The life expectancy, health, education, foreign affairs are all better in Canada compared to Bangladesh. Now there are also countries that are in the transition phase form 3rd world to 1st world, countries like China and India to name the biggest players. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

I'd say if basic amenities you're used to like clean water, electricity and wifi are unheard of as standard--3rd world country. 

Technically the term 'third world' meant countries which were not aligned under NATO or the Warsaw Pact during the cold war.

Since then, the term has been hijacked as a derogatory term to classify countries which are not deemed as being developed. There are no real measurements to classify a country as third world these days, only developed, developing or underdeveloped.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Technically:

1st World = US/UK/NATO and Allies

2nd World = Soviet Union And Allies

3rd World = Everyone Else

Heres a map: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_World#/media/File:Cold_War_alliances_mid-1975.svg

Now 3rd world typically refers to countries that have are undeveloped or developing.

IMO the death penalty. How can you call yourself first-world if you still use the 'justice' system as an excuse to kill out of vengeance?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

10 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

IMO the death penalty. How can you call yourself first-world if you still use the 'justice' system as an excuse to kill out of vengeance?

Because the death penalty isn't decided by consensus by all the people of a country

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

58 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

So the US is a third world country? :P At least some parts of it..

3 hours ago, Tocsin_786 said:

poverty, literacy, infrastructure, look at a country like Canada, then compare it to a country like Bangladesh. The life expectancy, health, education, foreign affairs are all better in Canada compared to Bangladesh. Now there are also countries that are in the transition phase form 3rd world to 1st world, countries like China and India to name the biggest players. 

It's hard to say one country is entirely first or third world (or somewhere inbetween) especially with countries as big as India and China.

There are rich and developed areas in both of these countries, but also very undeveloped areas. As in areas where food, health care and schooling is scarce.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

53 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I used to work in America intermittently in around 2009 (height of financial crisis) and I thought it was more 3rd world than China where I also worked. The amount of homelessness shocked me - I've been to poor countries in Africa that felt safer and more secure than some cities in the USA. So it can all come down to perception, and like you said there are areas that are more undeveloped and some that are less.

The label is also difficult to escape: there's still people referring to Mexico as a 3rd world country and saying stupid shit like "don't drink the water" even though we're the 15th largest economy, way ABOVE several NATO countries and even above some members of the EU

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

The label is also difficult to escape: there's still people referring to Mexico as a 3rd world country and saying stupid shit like "don't drink the water" even though we're the 15th largest economy, way ABOVE several NATO countries and even above some members of the EU

Not to mention the (at times) richest man on Earth - or perhaps despite him :P 

6 hours ago, Minibois said:

In my eyes, yes.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

7 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Honestly keeping the scum of the earth alive and using tax payer money to keep them alive is BS. If they get life in prison we might as well just kill them. A bullet costs less then supporting a human for 40+ years.

1 minute ago, CantThinkOfAUserName said:

Honestly keeping the scum of the earth alive and using tax payer money to keep them alive is BS. If they get life in prison we might as well just kill them. A bullet costs less then supporting a human for 40+ years.

Fasten your zip belts ladies and gentleman and prepare for a crash: this thread is about to be derailed!

Joking aside I'll be brief: it's more expensive to execute criminals than to keep them in jail for the rest of their natural lives.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Fasten your zip belts ladies and gentleman and prepare for a crash: this thread is about to be derailed!

Joking aside I'll be brief: it's more expensive to execute criminals than to keep them in jail for the rest of their natural lives.

Really? So about a dollar for a bullet is cheaper then food and clothing over a period of what could be 60 years or more.

Just now, CantThinkOfAUserName said:

Really? So about a dollar for a bullet is cheaper then food and clothing over a period of what could be 60 years or more.

1) We don't shoot people to death we're not in the 1800s. Lethal injection is the preferred method since it's the most humane and more certain to actually kill and not produce an expensive vegetable or a prolonged suffering.

2) We don't just kill people immediately after they're found guilty. You seem to think that after hearing the veredict the judge would just shot his ass right in the court room. We have something called due process of law which entitles everybody to several appeals. This is even more important when we're dealing literally with life and death.

3) Even with plenty of due process we've killed plenty of innocents before. DNA evidence has been used to exonerate death row immates and even without it people have been sentenced to death based on racial prejudice, faulty evidence, false witness testimony and most important of all: Honest fucking mistakes.

So in short, I think you're kind of proving the point people made when they said the death penalty is a good indicator of a 3rd world country: If it's truly "cheaper" then it almost certainly is a barbaric, trigger happy penalty that kills more innocents than guilty perpetrators.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

1) We don't shoot people to death we're not in the 1800s. Lethal injection is the preferred method since it's the most humane and more certain to actually kill and not produce an expensive vegetable or a prolonged suffering.

2) We don't just kill people immediately after they're found guilty. You seem to think that after hearing the veredict the judge would just shot his ass right in the court room. We have something called due process of law which entitles everybody to several appeals. This is even more important when we're dealing literally with life and death.

3) Even with plenty of due process we've killed plenty of innocents before. DNA evidence has been used to exonerate death row immates and even without it people have been sentenced to death based on racial prejudice, faulty evidence, false witness testimony and most important of all: Honest fucking mistakes.

So in short, I think you're kind of proving the point people made when they said the death penalty is a good indicator of a 3rd world country: If it's truly "cheaper" then it almost certainly is a barbaric, trigger happy penalty that kills more innocents than guilty perpetrators.

Never said to kill the right away or not to have due process just that its cheaper which is a FACT. You really go too far indepth with things. Recommend taking something to chil your tits you clearly need it.

Just now, CantThinkOfAUserName said:

Never said to kill the right away or not to have due process just that its cheaper which is a FACT. You really go too far indepth with things. Recommend taking something to chil your tits you clearly need it.

I recomend actually showing facts on how it is "cheaper" to just kill immates or refute the points, because the facts are on my side.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Cases without the death penalty cost $740,000, while cases where the death penalty is sought cost $1.26 million. Maintaining each death row prisoner costs taxpayers $90,000 more per year than a prisoner in general population.

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

The death penalty nowadays is never used as an abusive punishment.

It's basically used only as the most extreme of punishments.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

GDP isn't really a good marker for whether a country is advanced, or developed or not.  Nigeria for instance has a higher GDP than most EU member nations with a ranking of 23rd overall for last year.  However their GDP is almost entirely from oil revenues; which means it fluctuates with the oil market.  Also while many areas are very developed there are others that running water isn't even guaranteed. 

13 minutes ago, CantThinkOfAUserName said:

under the current american legal system it does actually cost more to execute than for a life sentence.  A lot of it stems from the appeal process and the judicial cost, and then you have confinement as people on death row tend to be isolated from the rest of the prisoners.  Special cells mean more cost per inmate. 

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The death penalty nowadays is never used as an abusive punishment.

It's basically used only as the most extreme of punishments.

You didn't refute what he said: An extreme form of punishment it's still punishment. Other countries have found way more success by approaching sentences that try to rehabilitate and reintegrate immates to society as law abiding citizens.

That's not to say that dangerous sociopaths beyond any hope of recovery shouldn't be dealt with, but permanent imprisonment is sufficient without resorting to "punishment" which is, quite frankly and by definition, just vengeance.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

You didn't refute what he said: An extreme form of punishment it's still punishment. Other countries have found way more success by approaching sentences that try to rehabilitate and reintegrate immates to society as law abiding citizens.

That's not to say that dangerous sociopaths beyond any hope of recovery shouldn't be dealt with, but permanent imprisonment is sufficient without resorting to "punishment" which is, quite frankly and by definition, just vengeance.

I see where it comes from now. The comment I responded to really didn't make much of a point, and honestly I didn't either.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Thunderpup said:

GDP isn't really a good marker for whether a country is advanced, or developed or not.  Nigeria for instance has a higher GDP than most EU member nations with a ranking of 23rd overall for last year.  However their GDP is almost entirely from oil revenues; which means it fluctuates with the oil market.  Also while many areas are very developed there are others that running water isn't even guaranteed. 

under the current american legal system it does actually cost more to execute than for a life sentence.  A lot of it stems from the appeal process and the judicial cost, and then you have confinement as people on death row tend to be isolated from the rest of the prisoners.  Special cells mean more cost per inmate. 

Makes no sense to me why keeping them for all of a few years vs life is costing them more.

Just now, Thunderpup said:

GDP isn't really a good marker for whether a country is advanced, or developed or not.  

It is a decent enough indicator if you actually look at the list I quoted. No it is not perfect, I agree. But in the case of Mexico it actually is very accurate to say that while there's still povertry and several areas extremely lacking, when it comes to services, infrastructure and quality of life we're far away from the "3rd" world. Look at our literacy rates, or child mortality rates, etc.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, CantThinkOfAUserName said:

Makes no sense to me why keeping them for all of a few years vs life is costing them more.

If you don't actually read what's being said to you of course it will never make sense to you: DUE PROCESS. People are entitled to appeals, several of them. To bring forth new evidence, to ask for clemency, etc. All of this legal procedures the courts have to honor and each one of them has a very real and tangible monetary cost.

-------

Current Rig

-------