This was Project Ara

dizmo

Even in this state, does it interest you?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have bought this?

• Yes! It's perfect just the way it is <3
    • No want!
    • Maybe, if it was slimmer
    • Maybe, if it had a swappable SoC
    • Maybe, if it was slimmer and had a swappable SoC.

Were you one of the hopefuls who's soul was crushed when you heard that Google had cancelled Project Ara?

Well, here is a glimpse of what you're missing out on. The folks over at Phandroid managed to get their hands on one of the development units.

acce0cc5ed8ad30c58fe22786596200b.png

Spec:

• Qualcomm Snapdragon 810
  • 3GB RAM
  • 32GB storage
  • 5.46" FHD LCD screen
  • 3450mah battery (module)
  • 5MP front facing camera, 2.1MP rear facing camera module
  • WiFi, BT 4.0 LE, NFC
  • GPS, barometer, light, gyroscope, proximity, accelerometer, magnometer, pressure, and gravity sensors
  • USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack
  • 152 x 74 x 12.5 mm
  • 190 grams

The specs are nothing too surprising. I imagine the phone would come out with an updated SD820, as this was simply a development unit, and it'd been in development for a long, long time.

Over all pretty standard. Also, being a development unit it's quite thick. One can imagine the production model would be slimmer, though who knows how slim.

Personally I'd think it'd have been cool to see the modules have a curved design, for much better in hand feel.

It's about the size of a Note7 aside from thickness.

And now for some visuals.

project-ara-phone-39.jpg

project-ara-phone-13.jpg

project-ara-phone-22.jpg

Baby got back.

project-ara-phone-34.jpg

project-ara-phone-36.jpg

I must say, overall I'm quite impressed. I was never a supporter of the idea, but it doesn't look as horrible as I thought it would, and it's not even at the consumer stage here.

The fact they fit a 3450mah battery into that little module is also impressive.

Still though, I don't think the phone would have really taken off. Especially to a point where it made sense to invest even more R&D time into it.

There's no ability to change the SoC, which is usually the first thing people want to change as a device ages. Once a person got a sweet camera, battery, and say an audio upgrade, is there really anything left that you'd want to change?

Sure, you could swap out modules and try different ones to see what you like, but in the end doesn't that generate even more waste?

Not to mention the whole issue most people have with phones as they are now. If you asked, I'd imagine maybe 5% of people actually know what's inside their device.

Ara was an interesting idea. I'd just prefer to have a slim phone that has everything in it already.

There are even more pictures at the

Source: http://phandroid.com/2016/11/10/project-ara-specifications-photos/

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

So is this just what it was going to be or are they moving forward with the project?

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Who would use that though?

If its that thick? You could have two phones. In your pocket. lol

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Can you add a regular no. I don't like it when I have an answer but the poll forces you into a specific reason that you may not agree with.

3 minutes ago, 1823alex said:

So is this just what it was going to be or are they moving forward with the project?

It's cancelled, this is just how far they got. Or postponed. Which really, is likely cancelled.

2 minutes ago, ThatOneRussian said:

Exactly why I don't think it'd succeed. Even if it were slimmer...not really needed.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, ThatOneRussian said:

I'd be ok with it for the flexibility of swapping out modules maybe if it was a little thinner it'd be better but I'm tired of the whole phones need to be thinner and thinner thing and sacrificing battery life and overall specs for it.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

The idea is nice but there probably isn't a market for this. Personally I think expandable storage and a replaceable battery are enough modularity for me. I don't do much intensive work on my phone...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would definitely own one, but I don't think it would have been successful commercially. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The other huge problem with it. Is that it didnt really achieve the level of modularity. I think the reason its so thick is because the mobo and all the important parts are still in the actual one piece bit. And the add ons are a bit shite

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

I was interested in it for its modularity. And speaking of, I just find it odd how so many tech enthusiasts seem against the idea of that. Judging by comments I've seen here and there anyway.

It's a neat idea though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

My phone is that big... with a protective "armor" on it. Just too big for a phone by itself, you'd probably need a case on that too

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'd love to get my hands on a phone like that (when it's through development, though). I didn't know it had been cancelled... That makes me sad...

I don't understand this thing about phones needing to be thin. What's the point in making something ever thinner if it's barely noticeable and cuts down what you can put inside?

I want to see what a company could stuff into the Ara's thickness with the same hardware density that's in modern flagships. Nobody seems interested in something that's not too thin to hold a decent battery, though...

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

the best feature these days would be that if it detects fire in the battery it ejects the battery module

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

So spec-wise basically a Nexus 6P.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

If google can sell it for dirt cheap, people will buy it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Yeah but, how would its availibility be handled (Google barely ships globally, and the Pixel XL isnt even available in portuguese google store lol), third party acessory and case manufacturers product evolution and would this phone allow for upgradeable batteries or just removable batteries all together? If this phone, with that kind of thickness, was capable of handling at least at max, a 5000 mAh, or at best, a 7000 mAh, im sure this would be an insane success, for sure!

Groomlake Authority

19 hours ago, Sauron said:

The idea is nice but there probably isn't a market for this. Personally I think expandable storage and a replaceable battery are enough modularity for me. I don't do much intensive work on my phone...

It was meant as more of a "last device". Something you could buy and simply replace a module or two when it felt outdated. When they got rid of the swappable SoC they kind of killed the whole purpose of the project.

19 hours ago, CyanideInsanity said:

I was interested in it for its modularity. And speaking of, I just find it odd how so many tech enthusiasts seem against the idea of that. Judging by comments I've seen here and there anyway.

I think it's kind of like TV's. Yeah, you could make it modular, but why?

There's also the general public. Most wouldn't adopt it, so it'd be a niche market. Not something OEM's would really want to get into, that stores would want to sell, etc etc. There's just too many obstacles.

18 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I don't understand this thing about phones needing to be thin. What's the point in making something ever thinner if it's barely noticeable and cuts down what you can put inside?

I want to see what a company could stuff into the Ara's thickness with the same hardware density that's in modern flagships. Nobody seems interested in something that's not too thin to hold a decent battery, though...

Thinner phones make for lighter phones and they're easier to carry. I think the only one truly chasing even thinner phones now is Apple.

I don't think we'd see a huge difference if they made phones thick again. I mean sure you could fit bigger batteries, but the phones would be super heavy. There isn't really anything else they'd need to add that takes up space tbh.

5 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

If google can sell it for dirt cheap, people will buy it. 

You'd still have to pay for modules etc though.

1 hour ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Yeah but, how would its availibility be handled (Google barely ships globally, and the Pixel XL isnt even available in portuguese google store lol), third party acessory and case manufacturers product evolution and would this phone allow for upgradeable batteries or just removable batteries all together? If this phone, with that kind of thickness, was capable of handling at least at max, a 5000 mAh, or at best, a 7000 mAh, im sure this would be an insane success, for sure!

I think case manufacturers would be more open to designing something for a phone like this, since they wouldn't have to make a case each year, only once.

I think the phone has a small internal battery, but there wouldn't be a need to really be a need to replace it.

Judging by the one battery pack, if you filled each slot with battery then you could...but...why not just get a phone with a huge battery at that point.

22 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

I thought ARA(and Phone Blocks) was a neat concept at first, but it really doesn't make much sense compared to what we have now.

I agree. Especially when they got rid of the replaceable SoC, it went from a potentially viable resource saver to something that would more than likely have produced even more waste.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I think it's kind of like TV's. Yeah, you could make it modular, but why?

There's also the general public. Most wouldn't adopt it, so it'd be a niche market. Not something OEM's would really want to get into, that stores would want to sell, etc etc. There's just too many obstacles.

There's no doubt it was going to have a tough time breaking out into the market successfully. For the general public, yeah, that's an obvious one. Most people want things that just work, but to me it seemed that on tech places where most people viewing would be interested in tech on a level more than just usage of said devices would have an interest in it over make everything smaller to the point its too small and sacrifices function for the slimmer aesthetic, which is what I find a tad odd.

Yeah I would use that phone, thinness is not my thing, I would take build and the ability to just swap parts out over any thin phone, but I would have made a audio module and the bulge on the camera is just not okay.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.