Repeated names actually make sense!

Kyonkanno

I know most people (specially Linus) don't like manufacturers to repeat names, ala Apple style. But there is logic behind repeating names. The main reason why I think repeating names should be the norm is for upgrade reasons.

Let's take the Razer blade 14 for example. When you repeat the name you know it's the same product, but with upgraded internals. Even if it's not the same product, but a totally redesigned one, you are telling your customers that want to upgrade from the old model which one they should upgrade to, if they wanted to stay in the same product range.

Much like how cars keep their names, for example Honda Civic. You are telling your customers, "oh you liked our car and want to upgrade your 7 year old car? Here is a redesigned one that functions exactly the same as the one you have but is more efficient and better looking". Something of the sorts. Dell is also a prominent name repeater and it works quite well for them. Inspiron (middle range value laptops), Vostro (low end laptops), XPS (High end laptops) and so on a so forth.

And if you want to prevent "confusion" from older and newer models, just slap the year behind the product name and you are done!

Further more, if you create new names every time you upgrade your products, you will end up confusing the heck out of people that don't follow your lineup 24/7.

People are specially disgusted by the Titan X (maxwell) vs Titan X (Pascal). just slap the year behind the name and voila! zero confusion.

Well it's not quite the same as car manufacturers. they DO put the year behind the name, and that's fine. the problem is the Razer puts a number behind the name, and doesn't change it. imagine the confusion if there was a Honda civic 14, and you went to buy a new civic 5 years later, and they offered you another Honda civic 14.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Really though I don't think it's a huge issue at all. Sure, it's confusing for people that are buying used, or perhaps on a site.

But for most retailers, they won't be holding on to older stuff. They won't have a Dell XPS from two years ago beside the brand new one, typically they only carry the new one.

If people are buying online, they should be doing a little research anyway.

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Well it's not quite the same as car manufacturers. they DO put the year behind the name, and that's fine. the problem is the Razer puts a number behind the name, and doesn't change it. imagine the confusion if there was a Honda civic 14, and you went to buy a new civic 5 years later, and they offered you another Honda civic 14.

That was his whole point.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

No, no and no.

With a bit of creativity, there is a bazillion ways to convey that a product is an upgrade to the previous product within the product name.

And different products should always use different names.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

10 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

YES THANK YOU at least call it the Razer Blade 2nd gen or Razer Blade 2 ffs

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 hour ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Why don't they just call them the GTX X80 2014, 2015, 2016? 

Because no one says the year, it's too clunky. So they call different devices by the same name and customers get confused

why is it clunky? I think it should be industry standard, if it's an upgrade of an existing product family, it's actually less confusing.

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

well, most manufacturers only refresh cars every 3 or 4 years and major changes ever 6-8 years. they use codenames (civic 1st gen-9th gen) to differentiate them and only use years after the name to refer to which year it mas manufactured. Still you don't see a new name for every new 4 door sedan a manufacturer releases.

57 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

No, no and no.

With a bit of creativity, there is a bazillion ways to convey that a product is an upgrade to the previous product within the product name.

why should they? Imagine Razer released a new 14 inch laptop to replace the Blade 14 and called it Knife 14. It is not immediately obvious that it's replacing the Blade 14. If you had a Blade 14 and want to upgrade, yo go to Razer's webpage to see the ALL NEW Knife 14, then you have to go and see if it's a 14 inch ultra thin laptop or if it's a 14 inch thick laptop, etc.

Noticeably, I don't like MSI and Asus naming scheme, THAT is confusing. How do you know which 15 inch laptop is the newest and meanest of the lineup? When you see names like G750, G550, GS52, GX53, GS75. How do you know without a lot of research and multiple browser tabs which one is the newest?

Or they could simply call it Razer Blade 15?

What if your old Blade 14 had a small malfunction and you need to replace the WiFi card? Yeah, good luck googling "razer blade 14 replacement wifi card", because you'll only find the ones for the new Blade 14, and they aren't compatible. Same goes for disassembly tutorials: you'll only find the ones for the newer product; good luck finding a tutorial for the older product with the exact same name.

And if you see a listing for a replacement WiFi card, how would you know if it is for the old one or the new one anyway?

Or if you want to buy a new battery, a much more common thing. You see a listing called "Razer Blade 14 replacement battery"; how the fuck do you know if it's a battery for the new one or the old one?

The list goes on. It's an enormous amount of unnecessary confusion.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

you could type in the year, as I do with Apple Macbooks or pretty much all apple products. type in the part for macbook 13 inch 2012 so far it works very well

1 hour ago, Kyonkanno said:

Dell is also a prominent name repeater and it works quite well for them. Inspiron (middle range value laptops), Vostro (low end laptops), XPS (High end laptops) and so on a so forth.

But the way they seperate them is they add something behind the overall name like inspiron XXXX and they change that number for the model when it is a new model. 

Then it would be dell vostro XXX 20XX, makes it way to long.

8 minutes ago, Kyonkanno said:

you could type in the year, as I do with Apple Macbooks or pretty much all apple products. type in the part for macbook 13 inch 2012 so far it works very well

Not every company should copy apple, apple names there product with a year rather then a model number. You don't hear about a macbook XXXX, but a 2016 macbook. Which applies to six or seven different versions of the macbook they released.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

yeah, but the general idea stays the same (with Dell). You pick a Inspiron XXX XXX and you KNOW you are getting a mid range laptop, Although it's clear cut which one is newer. For example, Inspiron 14z vs Inspiron 14R. which one is newer?

I don't think it would be considered copying apple, as ALL car manufacturers do this already.

MSI and Asus could make their lineup easier to remember. They have like 20 different laptops with more difficult names I don't even try to keep track. But I guess you guys like their naming scheme.

I don't see people complaining about Car manufacturers calling their cars the same name for over 60 years (Mustang, I'm looking at you)

4 minutes ago, Kyonkanno said:

I don't see people complaining about Car manufacturers calling their cars the same name for over 60 years (Mustang, I'm looking at you)

I don't see people buying and replacing car engines for their Mustangs by themselves either.

1 minute ago, Litargirio said:

I don't see people buying and replacing car engines for their Mustangs by themselves either.

I actually do see people buying and replacing car engines for their mustangs by themselves.

Still, the same applies, You want an engine for your 1993 Mustang? Just type "1993 Mustang engine" and you are gold.

Want a battery for your Blade 14 2014? just type in "blade 14 2014 replacement battery"

Just now, Kyonkanno said:

I actually do see people buying and replacing car engines for their mustangs by themselves.

I doubt the average joe would engine swap a Mustang. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I doubt the average joe would engine swap a Mustang. 

I doubt the average joe would replace their laptop batteries by themselves.

5 minutes ago, Kyonkanno said:

Yes, but the amount of people who do this is extremely small compared to the people who replace a broken hard drive or buy a new battery for their laptop.

2 minutes ago, Kyonkanno said:

Anyone who has two braincells to rub together can replace a battery. You are wrong.

Just now, Litargirio said:

Yes, but the amount of people who do this is extremely sall compared to the people who replace a broken hard drive or buy a new battery for their laptop.

You are missing my point. Anyone who is willing to open up his computer to replace anything inside it, should be knowledgeable enough to know his computer model and manufactured year. And that's all you need to buy replacement parts!

I just went to MSI's webpage to check them out. Just try to differentiate one laptop from another and you'll feel real confusion.

14 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

Yes, but the amount of people who do this is extremely small compared to the people who replace a broken hard drive or buy a new battery for their laptop.

Anyone who has two braincells to rub together can replace a battery. You are wrong.

not built in batteries. And anyone who has two braincells to rub together can type "Laptop_model, manufactured date, replacement battery"

amarite?

You have made zero arguments in your favour in your previous post.

• Just because you are knowledgeable and can replace a PC part doesn't mean that similar product names don't create unnecessary confusion.
  • Just because MSI's naming scheme is confusing doesn't mean that similar product names don't create unnecessary confusion.

Though it seems like your mind is already made up, no point in continuing this conversation, since all you do is repeat the same thing over and over anyway.

the same could be said about you, you know? You just ignore what I'm saying and say that I haven't made any point. Fuck logic.

39 minutes ago, Kyonkanno said:

yeah, but the general idea stays the same (with Dell). You pick a Inspiron XXX XXX and you KNOW you are getting a mid range laptop, Although it's clear cut which one is newer. For example, Inspiron 14z vs Inspiron 14R. which one is newer?

I don't think it would be considered copying apple, as ALL car manufacturers do this already.

If someone cared which one was newer a 2s google search can find that info.

Car makers don't name them with a year though, the year is just there to show when it was released. The more official naming schemes involes usually generations, or chasis model numbers.

Dell calling something the dell vostro 2017 would be completely ripping off apple, and would be even more confusing since there would be multiple configurations of it, with model numbers you can find the exact parts that you need. Dell makes both amd/intel laptops which the motherboards aren't interchangable so finding parts is more confusing with just a year.

17 minutes ago, Kyonkanno said:

not built in batteries. And anyone who has two braincells to rub together can type "Laptop_model, manufactured date, replacement battery"

amarite?

But for most laptops all you need is the model number, and part number you don't need the year released it is irrelevant info.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

44 minutes ago, Kyonkanno said:

Replacing an engine is a far more complex progress compared to a laptop battery. 

The two are hardly comparable. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I mean, MacBook Pro 13 (add year here) is pretty simple.

Stuff with like graphics cards, are kinda stupid.  Titan X and Titan X both don't make sense, especially when dealing with people. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Cars add years to differentiate unlike other consumer products. They always advertise it as "[year] [maker] [model]"

Other consumer products, as in razers case have the blade 14, new blade 14, new blade 14 (following year model) and I think year should be listed to avoid consumer confusion, especially if continuing to sell the older product.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14