should i completly ditch hard drives for SSDs?

poopy

has anyone ever ditched hard drives completely for ssds? have you ever experienced ssd failure??

can you run raid 1 on ssds?

4 minutes ago, poopy said:

has anyone ever ditched hard drives completely for ssds? have you ever experienced ssd failure??

I would have ssds, and if oyu are worried about data loss, some HDDs that you can back up onto.

Yes - Both Laptop and Desktop

No - I have had about 6 SSD's and no issues with any, longest being about 3 or 4 years and still going

Yes - Pretty sure u can raid1, i am on Raid0 with 2x 240GB PNY CS1311

My PCPartPicker - 1st Build

Yes you can run SSDs in RAID 1.  I think the main concern for most people (And why they don't do this) is the massively increased cost for very little benefit for the purposes of mass data storage.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1) people have, yes, when they either have a lot of money for a large SSD or don't need that much space. My laptop only has 128GB SSD.

2) no, but I have had HDDs get SMART errors.

3) yes you can.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yes, definitely consider dropping HDDs for the desktop. I did it about a year ago and it's been amazing thus far.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I had a 60gb SSD with a mechanical drive for storage. over 5 years I slowly added more mechanical drives when needed. My drives never failed but I dont buy cheap drives. When the 60Gb drive got full I bought a larger SSD and moved all mechanical drives to a NAS. Now my desk is super quiet but I still have access to my larger files when needed.

6 minutes ago, poopy said:

You dont need redundancy if you are not running a system that needs 100% uptime. Its better to backup your data properly

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

HDDs are soooo much cheaper, for mass storage you can buy 6 2 TB HDDs for the price of one 2 TB SSD! I don't think it's time to abandon the HDD yet.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

5 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I had a 60gb SSD with a mechanical drive for storage. over 5 years I slowly added more mechanical drives when needed. My drives never failed but I dont buy cheap drives. When the 60Gb drive got full I bought a larger SSD and moved all mechanical drives to a NAS. Now my desk is super quiet but I still have access to my larger files when needed.

You dont need redundancy if you are not running a system that needs 100% uptime. Its better to backup your data properly

well im just asking since i hear that that ssds are 'impossible' to retrieve data from when they fail

I keep a combo of SSD and HDD like veryone does. Unless you are the type of guy who can spend on NVME SSD with high capacity

1 minute ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

HDDs are soooo much cheaper, for mass storage you can buy 6 2 TB HDDs for the price of one 2 TB SSD! I don't think it's time to abandon the HDD yet.

i need about 200Gb for games and operating system and that is quite affordable. I find a lot of people keep their multimedia on portable drives

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, poopy said:

well im just asking since i hear that that ssds are 'impossible' to retrieve data from when they fail

buy one with a five year warranty

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I replaced my OS drives probably 5 or 6 years ago, and my last build was purely SSD, and that's what they'll be from now on.

I only use an HDD for external storage of my media files.

I'll never have an HDD in a system again.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

i need about 200Gb for games and operating system and that is quite affordable. I find a lot of people keep their multimedia on portable drives

It all depends on what you use your PC for. For someone like me, who can easily create 100+ GB of data in a single event, SSDs for mass storage are not even an option. I have 40+ drives with over 15 TB in total space (around 45 TB, but since I buy used I use two backups instead of one per main drive).

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I keep a combo of SSD and HDD like veryone does. Unless you are the type of guy who can spend on NVME SSD with high capacity

well im trying to do a pc desk completely water cooled but i dotn want to water cool the hdds and the rads will be in a diff section so it would be 100% dust proof

14 minutes ago, poopy said:

has anyone ever ditched hard drives completely for ssds?

Yes and no. I still think HDD's are important for mass storage.

have you ever experienced ssd failure??

Several but this was back when 120GB cost nearly 100 dollars.

You can but the only benefit that I can see is a redundant copy.

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Unless you are the type of guy who can spend on NVME SSD with high capacity

That'd be me and a few others.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, poopy said:

That may well be, but does it matter?  I would never let whether recovery is possible factor into my decision of which drives to use since you should never let it come to that. If data recovery is your backup plan, you need to rethink it ;) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

SSD are still really expensive nowadays, hard drives are still good and will still be good in the future. Remember that my dad, all his life he worked for a big tech company and he used to back up ALL his data on cassette tapes, yes, CASSETTE TAPES! Like not the ones that you think, the consumer grade ones like the LTO 7. So I imagine the HDD's will last AT LEAST another 50 years because people will still do backups and I recommend you get a HDD, even if you hate them for backups. You can put data on them but be sure the data you put on them is not data that you use everyday. My whole family is still using HDD's BTW, im the ONLY guy that has an SSD and even tho I can see the difference, you can still live with a HDD. But even the SSD looks a little slow, so... next year ill probably upgrade to a NVME SSD just to test out. 

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

3 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

SSD are still really expensive nowadays, hard drives are still good and will still be good in the future. Remember that my dad, all his life he worked for a big tech company and he used to back up ALL his data on cassette tapes, yes, CASSETTE TAPES! Like not the ones that you think, the consumer grade ones like the LTO 7. So I imagine the HDD's will last AT LEAST another 50 years because people will still do backups and I recommend you get a HDD, even if you hate them for backups. You can put data on them but be sure the data you put on them is not data that you use everyday. My whole family is still using HDD's BTW, im the ONLY guy that has an SSD and even tho I can see the difference, you can still live with a HDD. But even the SSD looks a little slow, so... next year ill probably upgrade to a NVME SSD just to test out. 

They'll be around for a while, sure, but 50 years?  I think that might be a bit of a stretch... think how far we've come in the last 50 years and the fact that each year we make more progress than the last.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

50 years

eh, at least 25

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

12 minutes ago, poopy said:

well im trying to do a pc desk completely water cooled but i dotn want to water cool the hdds and the rads will be in a diff section so it would be 100% dust proof

you still need to cool the motherboard

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

eh, at least 25

hard drives max out at 10 years. oldest one ive seen somewhat still working had to have its motor spun up by hand. It might be different if you only switch them on for back up purposes.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

hard drives max out at 10 years. oldest one ive seen somewhat still working had to have its motor spun up by hand. It might be different if you only switch them on for back up purposes.

I still have the 200MB TURBINE HDD from my Win 95 system. It works. You can tell because YOU HAVE TO YELL OVER IT...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

you still need to cool the motherboard

yeah i theres a complete mobo block for the x99 sabertooth