reportedly, AUDI was caught using software that tricked emissions tests

source: http://www.bild.de/news/aktuelles/news/neue-vorwuerfe-gegen-audi-in-abgasaffaere-48627330.bild.html

Audi_AG_logo.png

Berlin (dpa) - Die VW-Tochter Audi soll stärker in die Abgasaffäre verstrickt sein als bislang bekannt. Wie die «Bild am Sonntag» berichtet, hat die kalifornische Umweltbehörde Carb im Sommer dieses Jahres eine weitere illegale Softwarefunktion bei einem Audi mit V6-Motor entdeckt. Diese habe Audi auch für die Manipulation von CO2-Werten für Diesel und Benziner in Europa verwendet, schreibt die Zeitung. Dem Bericht zufolge konnten bestimmte Audi-Modelle mittels einer sogenannten Lenkwinkel-Erkennung unterscheiden, ob sie auf einem Rollenprüfstand sind oder auf der Straße fahren.

so ....

a Californian environmental agency, Carb, discovered this summer a car equipped with AUDI's V6 diesel engine had modified software installed that allowed it to cheat the emissions test

according to the unnamed source, the software would detect the movement of the steering wheel (or lack of there of) and apply the "right" engine settings - when movement in the steering was not present, the CO2 emissions would be lower

same source sais that this software was used in Europe for couple of years and can be encountered on both diesel and petrol engines - for "some reason" (cough) AUDI stopped using the said software in May, just before #dieselgate blew up

---

don't lambos use AUDI's engines?! I think they're the V8, V10 and V12 kind but still

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

snip

Sad day for Germany, as their economy takes yet another not so small hit.

There's one thing I don't really understand though:

Does the US have stricter emission standards for diesel or something? Like, there are fuckton of diesel powered vehicles in Europe, and they're actually preferred because of the economy - both of the actual diesel and the savings, seeing that it's significantly cheaper than gas.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Meh, still don't care. Audi's are some of the better driving cars I've driven. 

/Also, not surprised

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Meh, still don't care. Audi's are some of the better driving cars I've driven. 

I'd agree (oh, wait, I did), but I'd still take a Celica or BMW convertible.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'd agree (oh, wait, I did), but I'd still take a Celica or BMW convertible.

Na, I still prefer the drive of an Audi.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

This isnt about emissions, its some political BS. If you dont believe me try to answer this, why VW is the only one that got fined brutally? Several test revealed that almost all manufacturers are cheating...

GG.  I've been searching for the perfect used Allroad to replace the Touareg VW will undoubtedly be buying back.  Maybe this will drop the price of the Audi...

Quickly! someone inform Leonardo dicaprio, he's gonna haul ass on his zero carbon emission private jet 50 times around the world & report on this shit!

#GlobalWarming

Details separate people.

I honestly doubt it was designed to cheat the emissions tests. My money is on the system being designed to improve fuel economy on the highway. 

there was a massive VW emissions scandal last year, all new-ish VW group cars affected. my dad's 2015 Tiguan requires adblue to keep emissions down. no adblue = car wont start

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

11 minutes ago, Squirrel724 said:

I honestly doubt it was designed to cheat the emissions tests. My money is on the system being designed to improve fuel economy on the highway. 

Usually that's done by measuring the RPM delta

11 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

there was a massive VW emissions scandal last year, all new-ish VW group cars affected. my dad's 2015 Tiguan requires adblue to keep emissions down. no adblue = car wont start

The AdBlue has been used on the 3.0L diesel since 2009 and more recently on the 2.0L.  I think 2015 was the first year.  The funny part is the heater for the AdBlue has an incredibly high rate of failure.  They car will still run and drive, but you will fail emissions testing if your state requires that.  Mine failed the first time around 40k miles.  VW would not pay for the repair since it wasn't covered under the 7 year emissions warranty...  My head almost exploded after that conversation with customer service.  This was a few months before the TDI scandal new broke.

"So you're telling me that the heater, which is required to pass emissions, that has a well documented high rate of failure, is not covered under the emissions warranty?"

"Yes, unless the vehicle was purchased new in California."

"Is the AdBlue system the same on a Touareg sold in California vs. any other state?"

"Yes."

"If I were to go get my emissions tested today and I had a CEL for the heater failure, would I pass my emissions test?"

"No."

"Do you see the irony in that?"

About a week ago letters were sent to all owners extending the warranty to I think 10 years/100k miles for the heater...

2 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Usually that's done by measuring the RPM delta

RPM delta doesn't help you in a traffic situation. Every car will stick itself in the highest gear when you are just cruising along the highway. A system like this would allow you to change the shift points to improve economy in highway traffic where the speed is fluctuating.

Since Audi is a subsidary of Volkswagen Group(Which is a subsidary of Porsche SE) this doesn't add much to the "diesel scandal".
Imagine all those other car companies who's done exactly the same thing now shivering in their pants.
Oh how much money the poor Porsche and Piëch family has lost. :( 

Guess what dont buy diesels ... 

Diesel + low emission is a pipedream that will never work 

Let's agree to disagree

1 minute ago, Squirrel724 said:

RPM delta doesn't help you in a traffic situation. Every car will stick itself in the highest gear when you are just cruising along the highway. A system like this would allow you to change the shift points to improve economy in highway traffic where the speed is fluctuating.

In traffic there's not much you can do to keep emissions down. At steady speeds you can change timings and fuelling to match the demand on the engine, measuring the movement of the wheel is no indication of road conditions, well, not in the UK anyway. I suppose with most of the roads in the US looking like giant potato waffles, there's not many situations where you can maintain a steady speed whilst having to steer around bends.

18 minutes ago, Squirrel724 said:

Or use a manual and choose your own shift points. 

Though it doesn't help mpg on the highway when manufacturers give the manual a shorter overdrive gear than the auto. At 65 mph, when the auto is sitting at 2500 rpm and the manual at 3K, and people wonder how the automatic is getting better mpg... (dual clutch transmissions not included in comparison). 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Or use a manual and choose your own shift points. 

Though it doesn't help mpg on the highway when manufacturers give the manual a shorter overdrive gear than the auto. At 65 mph, when the auto is sitting at 2500 rpm and the manual at 3K, and people wonder how the automatic is getting better mpg... (dual clutch transmissions not included in comparison). 

People can barely drive automatics in my area so I'd rather not see stranded cars from over-revving to 20MPH.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

People can barely drive automatics in my area so I'd rather not see stranded cars from over-revving to 20MPH.

I think if we tighten up licensing requirements some, particularly in big cities, we'd not have much of an emission problem. It really is too easy in the States, drive around a block for the test with as straight a face as one can muster, done. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

41 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

In traffic there's not much you can do to keep emissions down. At steady speeds you can change timings and fuelling to match the demand on the engine, measuring the movement of the wheel is no indication of road conditions, well, not in the UK anyway. I suppose with most of the roads in the US looking like giant potato waffles, there's not many situations where you can maintain a steady speed whilst having to steer around bends.

What they are doing here is realizing they are only going in a mostly straight line and then lowering the shift points and performance. Lower shift points means lower rpms which means less fuel burned which also happens to mean less emissions. I bet that what it is doing is realizing that it hasn't turned in a few minutes and then dropping into this mode do be more efficient. It's just based on how highways are typically straighter than back roads and require less steering input.

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

don't lambos use AUDI's engines?! I think they're the V8, V10 and V12 kind but still

They don't. It's kind of the other way around. They are owned by Audi but iirc the only thing Audi does is electronic. Even the R8 uses the Gaillardo/Huracan V10, the V8 is their own, and Lambo doesn't even have a V8 car, same as how Audi doesn't have a car with a petrol V12 (not counting the diesel Q7 V12 and the A8 W12). 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

33 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I think if we tighten up licensing requirements some, particularly in big cities, we'd not have much of an emission problem. It really is too easy in the States, drive around a block for the test with as straight a face as one can muster, done. 

In New Jersey, it's not even a block. It's a parking lot. Sadly, I'm not exaggerating; it's literally a closed course that is SOLELY for the purpose of taking a driving test (that involves a left/right turn, a 4-way stop, parallel parking, and a three point turn).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

source: http://www.bild.de/news/aktuelles/news/neue-vorwuerfe-gegen-audi-in-abgasaffaere-48627330.bild.html

Audi_AG_logo.png

so ....

a Californian environmental agency, Carb, discovered this summer a car equipped with AUDI's V6 diesel engine had modified software installed that allowed it to cheat the emissions test

according to the unnamed source, the software would detect the movement of the steering wheel (or lack of there of) and apply the "right" engine settings - when movement in the steering was not present, the CO2 emissions would be lower

same source sais that this software was used in Europe for couple of years and can be encountered on both diesel and petrol engines - for "some reason" (cough) AUDI stopped using the said software in May, just before #dieselgate blew up

---

This is because AUDI is a division of Volkswagen AG. Volkswagen AG owns Skoda, AUDI, Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini, Scania, Ducati, Bugatti, MAN, and SEAT. AUDI, Porsche, Bentely, and Bugatti all use Volkswagen-designed engines; AUDI uses the same TDI engines that were the subject of the VW emissions scandal.