Shield Headwear - Kickfarted Ep. 2

"first"

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

That was only released 7 days ago? Feels like it's been a month since it was released ;-; (no HWC or linus for 7 days...how am I...)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

That was only released 7 days ago? Feels like it's been a month since it was released ;-; (no HWC or linus for 7 days...how am I...)

No it was released like 3 weeks ago on Vessel, it just kept getting bumped for other videos like the 1050ti announcement video.

8 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Just now, Daniel644 said:

No it was released like 3 weeks ago on Vessel, it just kept getting bumped for other videos like the 1050ti announcement video.

Yep, exactly right.

And don't fret - we hope to have an announcement soon... I don't think you'll have to go 7 days without new content, though.

So what you're saying is people should metal plate their skulls instead?

And does it matter much that foil hats don't work very well? They still give you a placebo effect ( unless you've watched this video). Homeopathy is just placebo and I've seen that recommended by a lot of legit medical professionals.

49 minutes ago, Ronda said:

So what you're saying is people should metal plate their skulls instead?

And does it matter much that foil hats don't work very well? They still give you a placebo effect ( unless you've watched this video). Homeopathy is just placebo and I've seen that recommended by a lot of legit medical professionals.

What are you even trying to say? This has nothing to do about placebo effects, either RF signals affect you medically or they don't and you wear protection against it or you don't. There's nothing about placebo's here.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Hey, that's pretty good.

I think idubbbz said it best (and Linus mentioned this as well) when he pointed out that if you wear this and use your phone, the "harmful" radiation will be blasted though your face (where the hats doesn't protect you), and then bounce on the inside of the hat and go out though your face again. That's why the MIT students found that tinfoil hats increases the radiation levels. Because instead of just passing straight though your head the radiation will be trapped and bounce around inside your head.

That's why I prefer the tinfoil burqa:

tinfoil burka.jpg

4 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

I can see why. This video is good, holy shit this product is useless...

30 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Hey, that's pretty good.

I think idubbbz said it best (and Linus mentioned this as well) when he pointed out that if you wear this and use your phone, the "harmful" radiation will be blasted though your face (where the hats doesn't protect you), and then bounce on the inside of the hat and go out though your face again. That's why the MIT students found that tinfoil hats increases the radiation levels. Because instead of just passing straight though your head the radiation will be trapped and bounce around inside your head.

That's why I prefer the tinfoil burqa:

tinfoil burka.jpg

TBH that looks like the thing you cover your car with instead of a burqa.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I have never been so proud.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

The decision not to call the whole WiFi sickness thing out at BS and not just the hat has me in two minds. On the one hand fair enough saying you're not a scientist and that it's therefore not something you can comment on. And also fair enough not commenting on it in order to get the people convinced of this crap listening. If you can prove that the product is a waste of time even if WiFi is dangerous then you don't need to say that WiFi isn't dangerous.

On the other hand even pointing to this crap and then not taking a stand either side? It kinda sets up a false equivalence. Someone could take the video as you guys taking WiFi as a danger seriously and that just this particular product is a waste of time. Winning the battle but losing the war so to speak. And in the mean time while you're convincingly tearing this product a new one? You're still giving it and products like it free advertising. Which isn't a good thing.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

1 hour ago, skywake said:

The decision not to call the whole WiFi sickness thing out at BS and not just the hat has me in two minds. On the one hand fair enough saying you're not a scientist and that it's therefore not something you can comment on. And also fair enough not commenting on it in order to get the people convinced of this crap listening. If you can prove that the product is a waste of time even if WiFi is dangerous then you don't need to say that WiFi isn't dangerous.

On the other hand even pointing to this crap and then not taking a stand either side? It kinda sets up a false equivalence. Someone could take the video as you guys taking WiFi as a danger seriously and that just this particular product is a waste of time. Winning the battle but losing the war so to speak. And in the mean time while you're convincingly tearing this product a new one? You're still giving it and products like it free advertising. Which isn't a good thing.

I have my own skepticism about the harmful effects but my RF consultant (without whom I couldn't test Shield's claims) has her own beliefs. 

So I elected to say nothing to avoid saying something either of us wouldn't be comfortable with. 

7 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

I have my own skepticism about the harmful effects but my RF consultant (without whom I couldn't test Shield's claims) has her own beliefs. 

So I elected to say nothing to avoid saying something either of us wouldn't be comfortable with. 

Exactly Linus, I agree with the way you run your channel. You state the facts and let us decide (unless you have a rock solid opinion, then that's when you are at your best).

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Hey guys, 

in general you should consider doing proper EM-testing, instead of going to a so-called em-consultant. These people usually lack the technical background information and only do this because they want to scare people because "EMF is evil".

I work in electronics product development for a few years now and proper EM testing looks quite a lot different. For proper testing you'd typically need an anechoic chamber and quite some expensive test gear (Not some 200€ gigahertz voodoo set). There is also a lot more to it, than just reading the value of a meter.

If you want, I could do some a little bit more scientific tests with the hat. We don't have a full anechoic chamber at the office, but with differential measurement, we would be able to figure out, if the hat achieves what it claims.

Greets

Berniwa

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

Fair enough and I'm not saying there's a right or a wrong way to approach it or that this is even the right channel to make the other kind of video on. Just wondering whether or not the obvious good work the video does calling out that product specifically is undermined by leaving the door open to the idea itself.

For example I wouldn't expect LTT to do a video like this and I'm not convinced such an approach would be better:

but on the other hand, unlike the LTT video, that video leaves no ambiguity

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Reminds me of a sticker product one of my mum's loopy mates showed me. It was a sticker you put on your cell phone named iSheild. I wonder if its the same people behind it. Found my old photos of it:

IMG_20120604_120316.jpg

IMG_20120604_120235.jpg

IMG_20120604_120219.jpg

IMG_20120604_120153.jpg

IMG_20120604_115955.jpg

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

How do you check radiation emited by computers or power supplies?

This is relatively easy. 

You put the psu into a completely shielded anechoic chamber. This allows you to block out all external radiation. (No cellphone/radio will work in there)

The next step is to measure all RF radiation using different antennas, a proper amplifier and a spectrum analyzer.

Depending on the standard you test the for, you typically test from ~20MHz to 3GHz or even 6GHz.

If you do it properly, you also need to rotate the PSU in the chamber while testing, this allows you to find positions where the device radiates the most. 

What you end up, is a graph that shows the emitted RF power at every frequency in the measurment range. 

Greets

berniwa

PS: We have the test report of a small 12V PSU brick (not a PC PSU) on our website: https://xdevelop.at/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/EMVCREPORT_2015-08-07A_rev0.pdf 

Unfortunately it is in German, but I guess most info is in the pictures (page 12 is radiated emissions testing)

Head gear?  The science is limited.  Cell phone emissions have been shown to cause cancer...in rats.  The real question is how did they teach those rats to use a cell phone?  So there's obviously a marketing opportunity for rodent shield hats, as soon as they teach rats about money...or Apple pay.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

What about pants or underwear?  Since we have our tin foil hats firmly in place, what's to protect us from involuntary infertility (aka sperm bake).  $300 Shield jeans coming soon...or $50 pocket liners.  Perfect for Kickfarted.

Ok, so I worked in EMC testing a few years ago, so I have a few comments.

When testing for a piece of electronics you basically put the thing in a giant metal box in 3 axes and measure the power levels at near every frequency. This is done because there are rules about how much an electronic device is allowed to leak EM spectrum and also in the opposite case that an electronic device must behave correctly when exposed to a certain level of EM radiation. 

Linus tested a router, which is going to quite obviously spew out all of its spectrum at 2.4 or 5Ghz. Measuring the power levels of every frequency as some people suggest is a bit pointless. Testing in 3 axes might change a reading but what was demonstrated in this video was basically a Faraday cage.

Now in terms of proving that a material does block EM radiation that's a perfectly fine demonstration. So something like your phone probably exposes you to more EM radiation than anything else. If I were superstitious I could very significantly reduce my daily EM radiation exposure by putting my phone in the hat then in my pocket, that way my reproductive parts wouldn't be exposed to EM radiation all day.. also wouldn't get any phone signal the battery would die pretty quickly and I could just turn it off..but that's not the point!  

In terms of demonstrating how this would affect your head... the setup in the video does not work at all.  What should have been done and would've been really easy to do:

• Hollow out something like a polystyrene manikin head.
  • Put the EM measurement device in the head.
  • Measure 3 axes of orientation (moving the measurement device and not the router, keeping the distance/position roughly the same towards the router).
  • Put the Hat on the head in a few ways.
  • Measure in 3 axes of orientation for each hat position. 
  • For fun do this with a tin foil hat as well :)

Now in terms of what results you will get? I'm genuinely not sure, would pretty interesting to find out though, i'll explain why:

When EM radiation hits something the energy has some combination of being absorbed, passing through, reflected or the object itself becoming an antenna based on the lengths of the material in each axis. A tin foil hat is fundamentally different to these fabrics. Tin foil is effectively one piece of metal and would largely act like a satellite dish either massively increasing or decreasing the signal to the head depending on orientation.

Side note: you can use Tin foil to boost your wifi signal for a laptop if you put it in the right place but it's a PITA because you could also make it worse. 

Now remember that I said the tin foil acts like a satellite dish?

Wearing a tin foil hat, just by looking at your phone or laptop you could improve your WIFI signal!! Now this may or may not work with the hat, but if it worked it'd prove your theory in a fun way and inadvertently make the hat sell for the opposite reason it's being marketed for :D

So why might the hat work differently to a tin foil hat? Well it's also acting like a faraday cage, but how/when/what direction different frequencies are absorbed/reflected/etc by a cage depends on the size/shape/orientation of the "holes" in the fabric. So Imagine the hat as a chickenwire mesh, the size of the hole of the chickenwire effectly dictates the length or frequency of something that can get through that gap. There's a lot more that could be explained but IMO it'd definitely be interesting :)