GTX 980 SLI or 1080?

Kongolo

Hi everyone  :)

Black Friday and Cyper Monday coming next month, and I am looking to buy a 2nd GTX 980 or a GTX 1080.. which one will give me a higher performance?

Some Additional info:

I use 2 monitors (sometimes 3 when I hock up the TV) and I dont plan on playing 4k any time soon.. or 2k for that matter.

currently i am looking at
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0
or
MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 980 4GB OC DirectX 12

Any advice is much appreciated  :x

1080 sli doesn't work as well as a single card and the 980 sli is worse than a single 1080 (btw i don't own any of them i just saw benchmarks and vids)

Depends on what games you play. I believe (no expert) that games that fully utalize the 980's will have better performance, but most games won't. Up to you - I'd say it just depends on what games you play. My guess is on average the 1080 would be better.

***Don't quote me on any of this pls****

A single 1080 would be the better option. SLI isn't as reliable, the 1080 is very powerful, especially for 1440p and lower resolutions (overkill 99.99% of the time), and it won't see any VRAM issues for the next few years.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, chimado said:

1080 sli doesn't work as well as a single card and the 980 sli is worse than a single 1080 

First hand experience for me is that 980 SLi is definitely more powerful. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

First hand experience for me is that 980 SLi is definitely more powerful. 

Care to elaborate  :)

Just now, Kongolo said:

Care to elaborate  :)

what do you want? A list of games that i play which could be totally different to you? Where the SLi support is top notch in order to stay ahead of the 1080? 

A list of benchmarks? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1080 would be your best bet, SLI isn't supported in most games and in some you can get worst performance. 

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

Thanks alot everyone  :D

After more research and alot of benchmarks.. for a 1080p gaming a 2x GTX980 is better than single 1080 (and even in the 1440p games).

21 minutes ago, Kongolo said:

Thanks alot everyone  :D

After more research and alot of benchmarks.. for a 1080p gaming a 2x GTX980 is better than single 1080 (and even in the 1440p games).

funny how u said u gon choose another 980 after almost everyone said get a 1080

MF UH BEANS