New Macbook Pro Uses Polaris GPU

FirstArmada
2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

NO one sane edits 4K on a laptop.

In a pinch it's actually doable if the files are in cineform format. And that's on my SP4 i7. . .  

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

OSX doesn't have a scaling issue, but again, there isn't really a need to waste battery/power on a 4k display. 

Actually only the 12" Macbook has a real thermal problem, the Pros are just fine, and no, Macs have excellent build quality/quality control. 

The thermals on the old Blade were awful and now it should only be worse. @Dackzy 

the 970m blade you could play CSGO in around 20-30min without bad thermal throttling, with the 1060 5min of overwatch and boom 94-95c. The "pro" 17 inch is so stupid, when you look at what a clevo with a 1080 has for cooling and then look at what razer did, it is a joke. I would put a 1060 in the pro, not a 1080, they must be insane. Then we have the stealth, a laptop with a 15w CPU, they got it to thermal throttle, normally you run into a power problem with ULV CPUs, but not with the blade stealth, you run into a temperature problem before you can hit a power limet.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 hours ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Don't care; I want my pixels. I'd be paying $4k. Razer can do it, but Apple can't or won't. I can't imagine why a video professional would want a 4k screen when they're editing 4k video. That's nonsense right there.

They follow the same philosophy with what they did with the iPhone. Reach a certain ppi where the screen looks really sharp at normal viewing distance rather than going completely overboard and crippling the battery and GPU along with it. I'm more interested in the LCD quality since bothe the iPhone 7 and the iPad Pro 9.7 have the best LCD screens around in the market

It's probably running a full Polaris 11 @ 0,800 Volts.

At this voltage the chip is incredibly efficient abd still manages between 1 GHz and 1.1 GHz.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

52 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Hmm.. so the pro 460 is using a fully unlocked chip yet it has a 35W TDP. Now I hope this comes to desktop as the RX 465. Performance/Watt would go up so far :P

On Anandtech, someone said it's running at 911 Mhz.

That's kind of the sweetspot ... get a RX 460 with 2 GB of memory and downclock the cpu to 911 mhz , lower the voltage, downclock the memory from 7 ghz to maybe 6 ghz or 6.5 ghz and you'll get maybe 40-45w .. now optimize the vrm to hell by lowering phases to only what's needed (2 usually instead of 3 or 4 as is the case on retail boards) and you'll get to 35w

Pretty awesome they picked AMD over Nvidia.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

9 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

OSX doesn't have a scaling issue, but again, there isn't really a need to waste battery/power on a 4k display. 

Actually only the 12" Macbook has a real thermal problem, the Pros are just fine, and no, Macs have excellent build quality/quality control. 

The thermals on the old Blade were awful and now it should only be worse. @Dackzy 

Macbooks have excellent build quality? Luis and i have sometging to say to you. 

Its no. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

80 GB/sec memory bandwidth though...

lolwhat

128 bit 7000 Mhz  = 112 GB/s bandwidth

128 bit  ? Mhz = 80 GB/s bandwidth

? Mhz = 80 x 7000 / 112 = 5000 mhz 

So the memories probably run at 5 Ghz instead of the default 7 ghz for desktop RX 460, which probably also means they could drop the voltage down quite a bit, probably from 1.5v down to 1.35v or even lower. The 8gbps memory chips from Samsung advertise being able to run from 1.305v and up but I think it's more likely Apple will use hynix or micron memories (Samsung doesn't seem to want to make 4gbps memory chips, needed for 128 bit 2 GB gddr5.. what 4gbps they have listed officially on their site is EOL Oct 2016).

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

On Anandtech, someone said it's running at 911 Mhz.

That's kind of the sweetspot ... get a RX 460 with 2 GB of memory and downclock the cpu to 911 mhz , lower the voltage, downclock the memory from 7 ghz to maybe 6 ghz or 6.5 ghz and you'll get maybe 40-45w .. now optimize the vrm to hell by lowering phases to only what's needed (2 usually instead of 3 or 4 as is the case on retail boards) and you'll get to 35w

I think you mean GPU here, not CPU. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

missed when nvidia was actually powering the video for many discrete graphics-installed macbooks. i think apple made a mistake when they started sourcing amd for gpus. i would have loved to have a macbook pro with a 1050ti at the very least.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro and I was holding out for the announcement of the new MacBook Pros.  While I really like OSX for daily use/web browsing, it looks like I'll be switching back to a Windows based laptop.

-OLED bar is kinda neat, but I use the brightness and volume controls all the time

-Touch ID is cool, but pretty useless aside from unlocking the computer.  Who will use Safari just so they can use Apple Pay?

-No USB-A ports?  If you're not on a network, flash drives are the still the best/easiest way to transfer files.  Perhaps we will see some USB-C flash drives, but then that requires an adapter for most other PCs.  Also, needing an adapter to plug an iPhone into an Apple laptop is stupid.  Sure most things are wireless now, but adding music to the phone is significantly faster with the cable.

-I miss the magnetic power connection.  Using a laptop on a couch or anywhere other than a solid surface almost guarantees the cord will be tripped over at some point and ripped from the socket.  At least there are 4 ports to break instead of just 1.

-Severely underpowered hardware for the price.  This isn't anything new for Apple, but it seems exceptional this time around.

Aside from the Razer Blade, what are other decent ~13" laptops to look at?  No gaming required, but I hate a slow computer.  1440p would be a plus.  1280x800 doesn't cut it anymore.

29 minutes ago, terrytek said:

missed when nvidia was actually powering the video for many discrete graphics-installed macbooks. i think apple made a mistake when they started sourcing amd for gpus. i would have loved to have a macbook pro with a 1050ti at the very least.

Without relying on Cuda, there isn't much reason to go with Nvidia. AMD tends to possess better OpenCL performance among comparable parts. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

-I miss the magnetic power connection.  Using a laptop on a couch or anywhere other than a solid surface almost guarantees the cord will be tripped over at some point and ripped from the socket.  At least there are 4 ports to break instead of just 1.

-Severely underpowered hardware for the price.  This isn't anything new for Apple, but it seems exceptional this time around.

Aside from the Razer Blade, what are other decent ~13" laptops to look at?  No gaming required, but I hate a slow computer.  1440p would be a plus.  1280x800 doesn't cut it anymore.

You can always buy a third party magsafe type-C cable. It's unfortunate that it's not standard, but the option still exists for people. 

Also, not that under powered compared to other ultrabooks. Take the XPS 13 for example, it's priced relatively similarly.

The Blade thermal throttles terribly and the build quality is awful. Good windows laptops would be the XPS 13 and Lenovo T460. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

18 hours ago, Dackzy said:

the 970m blade you could play CSGO in around 20-30min without bad thermal throttling, with the 1060 5min of overwatch and boom 94-95c. The "pro" 17 inch is so stupid, when you look at what a clevo with a 1080 has for cooling and then look at what razer did, it is a joke. I would put a 1060 in the pro, not a 1080, they must be insane. Then we have the stealth, a laptop with a 15w CPU, they got it to thermal throttle, normally you run into a power problem with ULV CPUs, but not with the blade stealth, you run into a temperature problem before you can hit a power limet.

The stealth even has issues with temperature, and that has a u-series CPU. meanwhile I'm in the corner with my i7-quad EliteBook 2570p (12.5", x230 competitor) and I can hit turbos on all cores with a stock CPU cooler.  what are you doing razer

idk

2 hours ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro and I was holding out for the announcement of the new MacBook Pros.  While I really like OSX for daily use/web browsing, it looks like I'll be switching back to a Windows based laptop.

-OLED bar is kinda neat, but I use the brightness and volume controls all the time

-Touch ID is cool, but pretty useless aside from unlocking the computer.  Who will use Safari just so they can use Apple Pay?

-No USB-A ports?  If you're not on a network, flash drives are the still the best/easiest way to transfer files.  Perhaps we will see some USB-C flash drives, but then that requires an adapter for most other PCs.  Also, needing an adapter to plug an iPhone into an Apple laptop is stupid.  Sure most things are wireless now, but adding music to the phone is significantly faster with the cable.

There are USB-C flash drives right now... in fact, at least some of them have both USB-A and USB-C, so you can plug in whichever way is necessary.

My theory on the absence of MagSafe is that Apple figures you're less likely to be plugged in all the time than you were with older systems.  And there is something a bit neat about charging your computer from any USB port on the system.

25 minutes ago, Commodus said:

There are USB-C flash drives right now... in fact, at least some of them have both USB-A and USB-C, so you can plug in whichever way is necessary.

My theory on the absence of MagSafe is that Apple figures you're less likely to be plugged in all the time than you were with older systems.  And there is something a bit neat about charging your computer from any USB port on the system.

They could and should have done magsafe USB-C.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 28/10/2016 at 5:27 AM, Erik Sieghart said:

I can't imagine why a video professional would want a 4k screen when they're editing 4k video. That's nonsense right there.

My opinion: said professional shouldn't be editing 4K video on a small laptop to start with. Maybe to review some small details on his project while on the move but doing the majority of editing on a 15" screen? For real? And if you have a high end system with 4K or 5K monitor that you use for most of your editing work, then you really don't need the 4K display on the laptop. Even 1080p will do the trick for most on-the-go or at home reviews.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

3 hours ago, Droidbot said:

The stealth even has issues with temperature, and that has a u-series CPU. meanwhile I'm in the corner with my i7-quad EliteBook 2570p (12.5", x230 competitor) and I can hit turbos on all cores with a stock CPU cooler.  what are you doing razer

they are giving people what they want, a thin laptop. You can blame people how has bought it and are going to buy it as much as you can blame razer. If people stopped buying them, then razer would stop selling them.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

13 hours ago, Syfes said:

My opinion: said professional shouldn't be editing 4K video on a small laptop to start with. Maybe to review some small details on his project while on the move but doing the majority of editing on a 15" screen? For real? And if you have a high end system with 4K or 5K monitor that you use for most of your editing work, then you really don't need the 4K display on the laptop. Even 1080p will do the trick for most on-the-go or at home reviews.

It's fine to edit 4K on a laptop, but it's not something you'd do full time.  The Marques Brownlees and Krystal Keys of the world have no choice but to edit 4K video on their laptops when they're on the road; however, you know they'll go straight to their desktops (or at least, an external monitor setup) as soon as they're able.

I can see 4K becoming a regular feature on laptops eventually, but only once battery life and other issues have been solved.  Until then, 1440p or 1600p is just fine for editing and viewing 4K material.

On 28/10/2016 at 3:40 AM, djdwosk97 said:

What's with the 690? 

In the normal F@H workload, only one GPU is used. The benchmarks are odd and not necessarily that closely related to the live work units, but it looks at least like the second GPU isn't fully utilized. Check the 295X2 vs. the 290X, just 36% faster despite having 2 GPUs running higher clocks.

In addition, it looks like the benchmark isn't fully reliant on FP64 performance, something else may be going on. Otherwise the gap from Titan to Titan X should have been much bigger. Here it's only 143% faster, but it has nearly 8x the raw GFLOPS.

8 hours ago, Sakkura said:

In the normal F@H workload, only one GPU is used. The benchmarks are odd and not necessarily that closely related to the live work units, but it looks at least like the second GPU isn't fully utilized. Check the 295X2 vs. the 290X, just 36% faster despite having 2 GPUs running higher clocks.

In addition, it looks like the benchmark isn't fully reliant on FP64 performance, something else may be going on. Otherwise the gap from Titan to Titan X should have been much bigger. Here it's only 143% faster, but it has nearly 8x the raw GFLOPS.

Does it assign another workload on the second GPU or does it completely ignore it since it doesn't have a crossfire profile?