Apple's powerful, cylindrical Mac Pro will start at $2,999

Gunzkewl

Ok I was actually interested in seeing the Mac Pro develop, but I looked at the power they were listing in their Tech Specs and I am really unimpressed.  The "D700" they advertise has the same specs as a 7970 (see link).  I couldn't find exactly which CPUs they were referring to, but I linked to the product lineup.  I find it interesting that they advertise 16GB dims, as those haven't really come out yet (If I am wrong let me know), so that is cool.  As for the cooling and case design, time will tell.  Xeon E5s can be expensive on Amazon, but I can't really directly compare.  Either way, I am disappointed by the MacPro.  Basically CrossFire 7970s with double the VRAM and a super expensive Xeon Processor are all you would be getting at even the Ultimate config.  Xeons are nothing new in workstations, neither is 64GB of ECC RAM, it is however, the first time I have seen 16GB dims and 1866MHz ECC RAM.  The GPUs are weak, especially in a software environment that utilizes GPU processing more and more every day.  You would be better off making an LGA2011 build with dual Titans (or 780s if you don't need the VRAM).  That way you could also upgrade in the future.

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7970/Pages/radeon-7970.aspx#3

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processor-comparison/compare-intel-processors.html?select=server

No not basically crossfire 7970s, they've firepros. Consumer graphics cards are not professional graphics cards. The GPUs are in no way weak. 

Also... for those of you who don't have macbook pros... don't knock it till you try it. Not having to take my power adapter with me is a big plus, especially since i bike everywhere. the thing is so thing i can barley feel it on my back.... and you would be hard pressed to find a notebook as thin, powerful, and have as much battery life as a macbook pro. I think the only thing comparable is the razer laptop which doesn't have haswell.  I get a good 6 hours battery on my sandy bridge macbook pro 15 inch speced with an i7 16 gb of ram radeon 6750 and 512ssd.  It cost me 2500 bucks back in 2011 when 512 ssds were 800 bucks. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

No they do not. On the base model it has 12GB DDR3 ECC RAM, and the GPUs have 2GB GDDR5 VRAM each.

The gpu's can have up to 12gb vram combined. Look at their website

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Also... for those of you who don't have macbook pros... don't knock it till you try it. Not having to take my power adapter with me is a big plus, especially since i bike everywhere. the thing is so thing i can barley feel it on my back.... and you would be hard pressed to find a notebook as thin, powerful, and have as much battery life as a macbook pro. I think the only thing comparable is the razer laptop which doesn't have haswell.  I get a good 6 hours battery on my sandy bridge macbook pro 15 inch speced with an i7 16 gb of ram radeon 6750 and 512ssd.  It cost me 2500 bucks back in 2011 when 512 ssds were 800 bucks. 

they're not that special, most laptops these days have good battery life, apple are even behind lenovo on that score.

It really depends on how you use them, even just minecraft will kill any laptop in an hour or 2. 

http://www.lptps.com/best-battery-life-laptops/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Retail 12gb of ecc is like $140.  It's probably a lot less for apple.  workstation cards are also marked up huge for retail, though at this point we don't even know which cards they are, they could just as easily be the $200 card and not the $600 card.  Apple is very very good at selling things for huge profits.  I doubt they're making fewer than 40 points on these things.

The 4 core Xeon in this series is $300, plus 12 GB of ECC Ram is at least $400, The fire pros would probably be at leas $600 each at retail, $1900 before we add in the motherboard, which is completely custom, the PCIe SSD, which is the first of it's form factor, the case and cooling unit, and then the markup because they need to turn a profit, subtract some because of discounts they get for buying in bulk. I'd say they're making no more than $500 per unit on these things on the low end which isn't much more than a standard boutique builder on this level of a system. 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Retail 12gb of ecc is like $140.  It's probably a lot less for apple.  workstation cards are also marked up huge for retail, though at this point we don't even know which cards they are, they could just as easily be the $200 card and not the $600 card.  Apple is very very good at selling things for huge profits.  I doubt they're making fewer than 40 points on these things.

12gb of *1866* ECC ram is not $140. ECC ram is harder to make at higher speeds, much harder than normal ram, the only price I could find on a quick google search was $560 for a single stick of 16 GB 1866 ECC ram. 

325386 New apple Mac Pro

Front view

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

It can support up to 64GB of RAM I think that 12 is just the base model.  Storage is all going to HAVE to be dealt with by Thunderbolt 2, so I hope there are some good solutions available.  I think this Xeon is also just the base model.  I agree about the D300, I couldn't find any info about them.

They are probably made up. The D300 that is.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I did some serious research as i wanted to compare to to a quadro k2000 based build i was going to make for someone a while back(most expensive build i did was £2200 felt great after that and now it pays for my school travel).

From my research( a lot of research) i found that the d300s have 476 stream processors(50 less then a 7750) and are passive cooled always due to lower heat output, they run at 750mhz and have a 256bit bus(4500mhz mem clock but im not certain). long story short the quadro k2000 completely shit on it (bout 40% even in opencl based programs). however it lost vs crossfire. the cpus in the Ibin can be upgraded to 4,6,8,12. You probably have to pay £1000 per extra core. That blower fan is going to struggle badly, they boast about the pci-e ssd which si 256gb. I saw a 2minute 4k video being rendering before(my uncle works for an advertisment company, they have made adverts for football and the wingleys extra and walkers crisp). A 2minute 4k video was around 200gb and it was compressed and it was before editing. Apple offer up to a 1tb ssd or use the thunderbolt to a external hdd. 

Where did you find info on the D300's. I could not find a single piece of evidence that they even exist. Give me a link please I would just like to see them. All Nvidia parts are generally more expensive then AMD's but if you do get a Quadro you also get the best support you can find anywhere and better performance if you pay the price. FirePro's kind of stop getting anymore high end at soem point and Quadros go from the ow end to the extream where you can pay above £4000 for GPU. Plus who wouldn't want a custom driver made by Nvidia.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Where did you find info on the D300's. I could not find a single piece of evidence that they even exist. Give me a link please I would just like to see them. All Nvidia parts are generally more expensive then AMD's but if you do get a Quadro you also get the best support you can find anywhere and better performance if you pay the price. FirePro's kind of stop getting anymore high end at soem point and Quadros go from the ow end to the extream where you can pay above £4000 for GPU. Plus who wouldn't want a custom driver made by Nvidia.

Pretty much all you have to do is look at the Apple website... it's a 1280-core GPU with 2GB 25-bit GDDR5 at 1.25GHz (5.0GHz).  And with FirePros you will get the ECC VRAM and the special drivers.  I'd value the D300 at ~$600, since it appears to be an embedded version of the FirePro W7000...

there was a leaks site a while ago but they got shut down by apple, im basicallly writing down what i remember so its probably wrong.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The gpu's can have up to 12gb vram combined. Look at their website

Oh I misunderstood what you meant, not the Apple website.

Looks like a trash can

That's because it is trash ;D kidding. Definitely NOT worth the money.

CoolerMaster Storm Scout 2 Black - Intel Core i5-4570 - CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo - Sapphire Radeon HD7950 - Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB - ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance - Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD - Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB - Seasonic G-550 - BenQ GW2255 21.5" LED Monitor

2016 MacBook Pro 13" - Google Pixel

too much ignorance in this post 

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Your comparison really does not fit the specs of the mac pro. It still won't total to $2,999 but you're a few hundred off.

OK, how does it not match the specs? Overall I'd say they are very similar. Sure you can nitpick like "it doesn't have thunderbolt, the case is bigger" and stuff like that but overall they are very similar.

Since I know you're going to bring up Xeon and ECC RAM:

The Xeon and the i7 I used are very, very similar. The i7 I picked even supports all the server grade features like VT-d the Xeon does. The only difference is that the Xeon supports ECC RAM.

And about ECC RAM, how many people do you think will benefit from it? Wanna know when ECC RAM is good to have? In scientific experiments, that's pretty much it. Do you need it for rendering? No. Do you need it for servers? Not really.

So, what difference does the computer I quickly scraped together have which makes it 1140 dollars worse than the Mac Pro?

Pretty much all you have to do is look at the Apple website... it's a 1280-core GPU with 2GB 25-bit GDDR5 at 1.25GHz (5.0GHz).  And with FirePros you will get the ECC VRAM and the special drivers.  I'd value the D300 at ~$600, since it appears to be an embedded version of the FirePro W7000...

Couldn't find that much info about the W7000 but it has twice the VRAM as the one in the Mac Pro so yeah, 600 dollars tops.

The 4 core Xeon in this series is $300, plus 12 GB of ECC Ram is at least $400, The fire pros would probably be at leas $600 each at retail, $1900 before we add in the motherboard, which is completely custom, the PCIe SSD, which is the first of it's form factor, the case and cooling unit, and then the markup because they need to turn a profit, subtract some because of discounts they get for buying in bulk. I'd say they're making no more than $500 per unit on these things on the low end which isn't much more than a standard boutique builder on this level of a system. 

You don't know what you're talking about. 12GB of ECC RAM does NOT cost 400 dollars. Wanna know how much 16GB of ECC RAM at 1600MHz cost? 170 dollars, from newegg... Shop around a bit and you might be able to get it for 150 dollars. That's for 16GB by the way, so go ahead and go "ohh but that RAM is slightly slower". I'd say the 4GB more is worth the ~250MHz difference. So yeah, you're overestimating the price of the RAM by about 250%.

The FirePros? Well like we established above the W700 is probably fairly similar but with much more VRAM and that's a 650 dollar card if you buy it from a regular retailer like Newegg. So I'd say 600 dollars is TOPS what it will cost, not the least it will cost.

The motherboard on these computers are usually crap. They strip away everything they don't need to keep the cost down. Saying it is custom is not a good thing in this situation, and the only reason it is custom is so that they can save money. An equivalent motherboard would probably cost ~200 dollars.

The Mac Pro does not have the first PCIe SSD. Even if you ignore the many PCIe SSDs we've had for years in regular desktops you still got the PCIe SSD in the MacBook Pro for example, which is most likely the same as they use in the Mac Pro.

Looking at the build I posted earlier in the thread, and taking the rebate they get from buying in bulk into consideration I'd say they are making more than 1000 dollars profit on each low end Mac Pro, and even more with the higher end ones. 50% profit is pretty damn good.

No not basically crossfire 7970s, they've firepros. Consumer graphics cards are not professional graphics cards. The GPUs are in no way weak. 

I understand they have workstation GPU features like redundant memory checks and 24/7 full load optimization, but POWER wise, they are nothing special at all.

FirePro W7000 are terrible. GTX 570 is better. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-workstation-graphics-card,3493-5.html. There are other benchmarks but these GPU's are really bad especially for their price.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

It looks like the bastard child of vadar and r2d2

Next year Apple will release a R2-D2 and C-3PO love child.  (Gold version, for the people who don't know what I'm talking about)

Probably not top of the line.

Most of them have the newest macbook air and the iphone 4.

Every 60 seconds in Africa...

A minute passes.

I don't get why people in this post are comparing workstation cards to gaming cards the same way they would compare two gaming cards. Do you not understand what the real difference and value is of a workstation card over a gaming card to professionals?

12gb of *1866* ECC ram is not $140. ECC ram is harder to make at higher speeds, much harder than normal ram, the only price I could find on a quick google search was $560 for a single stick of 16 GB 1866 ECC ram. 

more like 177$ and thats retail. go on and choose http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Speed_PC3-14900+%281866MHz%29&ci=13341&N=4041996717+4294948679+4118910959

dafuq5.jpg?w=300&h=195

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Yawn. Thats all I have to say about the $2999 mac pro.  And why do people keep saying its a hexa-core... its quad core. That chips is worth about $300 bucks. Lets face it. The mac pro isnt for professionals. Its for semi professional home users. Real professionals need additional internal storage and internal add on cards, as well as a beefy power supply. No one is gonna want to have a bunch of lightning external drives in an additional bulky enclosure. I dont see linus replacing the ghetto video editing rig with this thing anytime soon, or mb for that matter. The only thing even remotely exciting in this machine is fast flash storage.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/