Apple likes copying Samsung. Now they have copied the fire-phone hazard

comicsansms

I think this could happen with more phones than just the iPhone 7. (I am no fanboy from anything, just to say).

But would it useful when you "turn of" the battery when it reaches like 50C?

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

2 hours ago, Lays said:

All these people talking about $800 exploding phones and I'm sittin here with my oneplus 3 enjoying the show

d64.gif

I have a little magnetic mount for my phone in my car which clips to the heater output vent thingy. 

The phone gets very hot, to the point where it even shuts off. It never caught on fire like this iPhone. 

I have a OnePlusTwo. 

Got some popcorn left for me? :)

3 hours ago, meenmeen1103 said:

implement a temperature sensor to limit current effectively

every charger for li-ion and most batteries themselves have a safety, wich includes a thermal sensor and a small voltage sensor wich cuts the battery off the device or charger when a limit is reached (under volt , over volt , overtemp) even my old nokias battery had that feature , those pins on your battery pack that goes into the phone do not go directly to the cell 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

There is always a handful of stories about phones exploding for each new model. I am sure more than one iPhone 7 has caught fire. If we see more and more reports of them catching fire then it's a problem, but for all we know that guy might just have been unlucky.

i bet apple is going to accuse them of rooting and trying to install Note 7 software on it

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

every charger for li-ion and most batteries themselves have a safety, wich includes a thermal sensor and a small voltage sensor wich cuts the battery off the device or charger when a limit is reached (under volt , over volt , overtemp) even my old nokias battery had that feature , those pins on your battery pack that goes into the phone do not go directly to the cell 

"effectively". I mean, I know they tried, but is the recent failure rate deemed 'effective' enough? Or are the cells just reaching thermal runaway too fast for that circuit to do its job in these cases? More or less, I'm wondering what the actual cause for the safety features not activating is, or if there's just some QA issue with that circuit that can't be eliminated.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

15 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

"effectively". I mean, I know they tried, but is the recent failure rate deemed 'effective' enough? Or are the cells just reaching thermal runaway too fast for that circuit to do its job in these cases? More or less, I'm wondering what the actual cause for the safety features not activating is, or if there's just some QA issue with that circuit that can't be eliminated.

chances of it being a bad cell are high , it happens , it takes one little thing damage in a single layer of the cells and it goes off , it happend in the note 7 bc they squeezed the cells and they took off ,

again i might remind you of the capacitor plague wich affected almost every electronic made in a certain period thanks to a batch of bad materials used wich resulted in the caps failing after a few years 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

There is commas and full stops in stupid spots, there is a lack of 's's and capital letters through out both 

There ARE commas not there is commas. Get yo grammar straight boi

lol jk

1 minute ago, Joelbanks5 said:

The ARE commas not there is commas. Get yo grammar straight boi

lol jk

Well played, gg.

Australian Sun + Closed Vehicle (unless he doesnt mind having his driving license stolen lol) + Undeterminated Amount of time + Ducked beneath some clothes.

Sheez loads of heat, in a small area, over an eletronic equipment. Well it happens...

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Well played, gg.

My post said the instead of there, I reread that piece of shit and it said there. Then I uploaded that fucker and it took out the re.

Haha, karma.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

5 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Yesterday a Australian Surfer left their iPhone 7 their car wrapped up in a pair of pants when they went out to teach a surfing lesson.

phone3.jpg

The Surfer has come back to his car and found his car on fire

He has said this about the fiasco.

The Owner of the phone has only had it for a week, has used only official apple chargers and has never dropped it.

Apple is now investigating the fire.

Source: https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/32960624/iphone-7-catches-fire-destroys-vehicle/

Yesterday a Australian Surfer left their iPhone 7 their car wrapped up in a pair of pants when they went out to teach a surfing lesson.

phone3.jpg

The Surfer has come back to his car and found his car on fire

He has said this about the fiasco.

The Owner of the phone has only had it for a week, has used only official apple chargers and has never dropped it.

Apple is now investigating the fire.

Source: https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/32960624/iphone-7-catches-fire-destroys-vehicle/

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Also this isn't the 1st time an iPhone 7 has caught fire, 23 days ago a reddit user posted about their friends iPhone which had arrived burnt out.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/54te00/ 

LYppQjZ.jpg

I have an iPhone 7 and I'd use it in the hot fucking Florida sun and it would get too hot to even touch, though it never exploded or shut down. 

Im more scared of me breaking it myself for it's shitty ass autocorrect than it exploding (even in hot places). God damn I swear fucking autocorrect has it out for me, and sadly I can't turn it off because it still does help me type faster without having to capitalize and shit.

3 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

This doesn't mean anything. You place any cell phone in an oven (like a car in Australian heat) it will eventually catch fire or explode. This is just an idiot baking a phone. Until it becomes a repeated issue happening in everyday situations it means nothing at all.

This just isn't true in the slightest bit.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

This shit happens cause of battery getting crushed on corners cause of how phones are thin and batteries are in soft wrap right?

Either way, would be great to see that new type of batteries that was mentioned it will come to market not so far that are not fire hazard and dangerous and have twice the capacity of current ones.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

42 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

This just isn't true in the slightest bit.

Thermal runaway is absolutely a real thing, there's a reason batteries come with a safe operating temperature warnings (usually under 60C or so). Even with included safety mechanisms (most of which are meant for short-circuiting and overcharging, not external thermal influence), you will have a certain amount of failures in any product. The temperature inside a hot car in the sun can easily reach 60C with the temps inside the battery quite a bit over that. Depending on the battery design, a thermal runaway can occur at surprisingly low temperatures (as low as 90C) despite shutoff mechanisms. Even an ion-flow separator can be overwhelmed by external heat.

The point is that one battery that catches fire after someone left it in a hot car is not indicative of any issue in the manufacturing. It's a combination of improper battery use/storage and bad luck.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

16 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Thermal runaway is absolutely a real thing, there's a reason batteries come with a safe operating temperature warnings (usually under 60C or so). Even with included safety mechanisms (most of which are meant for short-circuiting and overcharging, not external thermal influence), you will have a certain amount of failures in any product. The temperature inside a hot car in the sun can easily reach 60C with the temps inside the battery quite a bit over that. Depending on the battery design, a thermal runaway can occur at surprisingly low temperatures (as low as 90C) despite shutoff mechanisms. Even an ion-flow separator can be overwhelmed by external heat.

The point is that one battery that catches fire after someone left it in a hot car is not indicative of any issue in the manufacturing. It's a combination of improper battery use/storage and bad luck.

I'm not arguing your explained reasoning and I guess you were making a generalization by comparing a car to an oven. The inside of a car with the windows rolled up isn't going to get much more than 30 degrees higher than the outside temperature.  I don't imagine it ever getting much hotter than about 120 degrees(outside of the car) even if you're right on the equator.

I don't look at this as an incident isolated to the phone model, but not every phone would have done the same.  I don't even think every current flagship would do the same, including more iPhone 7's.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

22 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I'm not arguing your explained reasoning and I guess you were making a generalization by comparing a car to an oven. The inside of a car with the windows rolled up isn't going to get much more than 30 degrees higher than the outside temperature.  I don't imagine it ever getting much hotter than about 120 degrees(outside of the car) even if you're right on the equator.

I don't look at this as an incident isolated to the phone model, but not every phone would have done the same.  I don't even think every current flagship would do the same, including more iPhone 7's.

CDC states the air temperatures inside a car in direct sunlight can reach 130-172F (55-79C) in 80-100F (27-37C)  weather. You'd be quite surprised how hot they can get. Dark surfaces (like a dash) in direct light can get 180-200F (82-93C).

It it common? No, but heating any li-ion battery to those temps is asking for trouble. Throw enough batteries into those conditions and a handful of them will catch fire, even without flaws or issues related to the manufacturer.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

On 10/21/2016 at 3:18 PM, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Everything is "Scientifically dangerorus." (You see what I did there?) Saying something is "Not dangerous" is dangerous, everything has danger involved. I don't know the exact number of Note 7's sold, but I'll assume it is somewhere in the vicinity of 10 Million. So the chance that your Note 7 might explode out of the other Millions of other Note 7's is 35/10,000,000. That isn't dangerous in my opinion. 

Do you really think I don't know the spelling of 'dangerous'

Well, Samsung sold about 3-4 million Note7s and they had 96 cases In US alone. That number would only turn meaningless if Samsung had sold 1 billion Note7s

http://www.androidcentral.com/cpsc-issues-second-galaxy-note-7-recall-23-new-fires-involving-replacement-notes

Coincidence right?

Let me help you out a bit here, 1 in a million Lithium batteries are defective. Apple has over 1 billion iOS devices around the globe and at least 100 cases are required in order to raise any question about the safety concern. So far the numbers are well below 50 as opposed to having 96 cases when only about 3-4 million have been sold

You are clearly not very good at looking at the red line then: (You really have to be trolling at this point.)

I admit I am not the best at English, but your posts make no sense. There are commas and full stops in stupid spots, there is a lack of 's's and capital letters through out both of your posts.

It was in the south of Australia, Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne were not that hot today or yesterday.

9/14 mistakes are because I didn't caps a company name or I didn't add an apostrophe to a word like 'didn't' which aren't valid mistakes when you're having a conversation through the internet. But fear not, I do add an apostrophe when I write with a pen.

My current keyboard sucks and three out of what you pointed are because some letter didn't get registered. Three words, got their letter interchanged probably because I type too fast. So in total, I made one mistake in spelling

Now, unless you're very poor at English chances are that those mistakes wouldn't have hindered your ability to read it anyway, so I'm assuming the former. And again scientifically, your brain doesn't see the entire word rather the first and the last few, implying that the only reason you did see the mistake were either you were carefully reading or you use this website in some other kind where it highlights spelling mistakes on everything displayed

And btw the comma indicates a pause and if you tried naturally saying the sentence where I overused comma, you'll find yourself pausing at the exact same moment. It is indeed the actual way of writing but when it comes to a conversation (typing), people don't tend to use it.

49 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Do you really think I don't know the spelling of 'dangerous'

Well, Samsung sold about 3-4 million Note7s and they had 96 cases before first recall

http://www.androidcentral.com/cpsc-issues-second-galaxy-note-7-recall-23-new-fires-involving-replacement-notes

I think you need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

There were not 96 cases before the first recall. The CPSC article which is the source of the 96 cases figure is from October 13. The first recall happened on September 12.

By the time 96 reports of exploding Note 7s had occurred Samsung had already done recalls twice, and discontinued the product (they did that October 10).

Come on dude, at least read your own source.

43 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

To be honest, it's Australia. Considering that it was likely hot and it was in a car with black windows, it seems likely that the battery was just too hot and just combusted because of that.

I think it was just a faulty battery. Even though lithium-ion batteries are unstable, you need a very high temperature to cause them to explode just from the temperature alone. We're talking like 150-200 degrees Celsius. It can get hot in cars, but not so hot that it will make your perfectly healthy phone go boom. If all that was needed to detonate an iPhone was leaving it in a hot car then we would hear about iPhones exploding every week during summer.

With their latest good news of new products failing to draw attention away from their Note 7 problems, Samsung are doing whatever they can to distract everyone. Bet they have a lot of ppl trying to get iPhone explosion news promoted, retweeted, and all manner of attempt to make them go viral. 

If I were Apple or any other competitor I'd be holding a huge cache of the Note 7s ready to be plugged in next year during Samsung's product releases. Leave one at the airport, subway, train... refresh the FUD.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

12 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Australia. Left his phone wrapped in pants inside a car.... 

Because Australia is known for being a very cool, almost temperate environment and as we know wrapping electronics in blankets and fabric is great for thermal dissipation, as is the glass house effect cars have. 

I'm guessing what probably happened is this phone overheated something chronic on a 30+ degree day while wrapped in clothes, in a car which probably reached 50+ degrees. 

You may also want to change the title unless you can provide evidence as it's click-bait and flamey. 

Regardless, it should NOT catch fire. It should shut down way before it reaches ignition temperatures.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Regardless, it should NOT catch fire. It should shut down way before it reaches ignition temperatures.

You can not turn off chemistry. When you heat up flammable liquids that have been compressed between charged plates, bad things can happen. As it heats up the battery can increase internal pressure, swell, and in extreme cases potentially cause the plates to short.

Lithium batteries should be stored below 60°C (recommended 5-20°C). Cars have been known to reach temperatures over 75°C.

It is unknown how many times this phone was left in the car, but the text referring to the individual as a surfer teaching lessons, it is likely they did this on a regular basis. This could have resulted in the battery to accumulate defects caused over several surfing excursions until such a point that it finally catastrophically failed.

3 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

You can not turn off chemistry. When you heat up flammable liquids that have been compressed between charged plates, bad things can happen. As it heats up the battery can increase internal pressure, swell, and in extreme cases potentially cause the plates to short.

Lithium batteries should be stored below 60°C (recommended 5-20°C). Cars have been known to reach temperatures over 75°C.

It is unknown how many times this phone was left in the car, but the text referring to the individual as a surfer teaching lessons, it is likely they did this on a regular basis. This could have resulted in the battery to accumulate defects caused over several surfing excursions until such a point that it finally catastrophically failed.

But again - the system should know this and turn itself off before reaching critical temps.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

But again - the system should know this and turn itself off before reaching critical temps.

It probably did. Doesn't stop the battery from heating up from the sun and then failing.

The phone was definitely off when they found it, though we will never know if it turned off before or after the fire started.