Apple likes copying Samsung. Now they have copied the fire-phone hazard

comicsansms
Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

It probably did. Doesn't stop the battery from heating up from the sun and then failing.

The phone was definitely off when they found it, though we will never know if it turned off before or after the fire started.

It is physically impossible for the battery to reach 70C in an environment that is 50C without additional heating, if the phone is off it can't blow up - or at least it shoudn't.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It is physically impossible for the battery to reach 70C in an environment that is 50C without additional heating, if the phone is off it can't blow up - or at least it shoudn't.

Cars can get much hotter than 50°C.

For all we know they could have left a Pump bottle full of water in a cup holder which caught the upholstery on fire, and the phone was just another victim.

ITT: iPhone's are proven to be just as likely to explode as Note 7s yet gets shrugged off as "that's just the nature of batteries, bad batch."

The Apple sheepism is real. I personally think it was only a matter of time before we started hitting the limit of how thin we could make phones. Can't remove the battery or have room for proper venting.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Glad I own a Lumia phone ..... Nokia was the best - RIP.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Regardless, it should NOT catch fire. It should shut down way before it reaches ignition temperatures.

Even when it has shut down, that doesn't stop the phone reaching critical temperatures. An extreme example would be putting your phone in the oven at 60 degrees, it's still going to reach 60 degrees if it's off.  

6 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Do you really think I don't know the spelling of 'dangerous'

I don't know, until just now you haven't shown to.

Well, Samsung sold about 3-4 million Note7s and they had 96 cases before first recall

http://www.androidcentral.com/cpsc-issues-second-galaxy-note-7-recall-23-new-fires-involving-replacement-notes

Coincidence right?

*96 recalls after the second recall.

Where have you gotten the statistic for how many phones were sold? There was 1,000,000 sold in the US alone before the 1st recall, I find it hard to believe that only 1,000,000 was sold in countries other than the US.

Let me help you out a bit here, 1 in a million Lithium batteries are defective. Apple has over 1 billion iOS devices around the globe and at least 100 cases are required in order to raise any question about the safety concern. So far the numbers are well below 50 as opposed to having 96 cases when only about 3-4 million have been sold

You are collectively combining all models of apple's mobile phone-style products which is meaningless, I could do the same thing with Samsung, I can confidently say they have sold 1,000,000,000 phones or tablets in their lifetime. That will lower the statistic a lot.

9/14 mistakes are because I didn't caps a company name or I didn't add an apostrophe to a word like 'didn't' which aren't valid mistakes when you're having a conversation through the internet. But fear not, I do add an apostrophe when I write with a pen.

Come on, that is what rereading and actively correcting your mistakes are for. This is year 3 level shit. Also apostrophes, Capital letters for proper nouns (Which includes Countries and Businesses) and not including 's' for a plural of a word or signifying ownership are also mistakes, that said they were not eating into the legibility of your text unlike other things you were writing.

My current keyboard sucks and three out of what you pointed are because some letter didn't get registered. Three words, got their letter interchanged probably because I type too fast. So in total, I made one mistake in spelling

My "A" and "ctrl" key are missing, I am still not making stupid mistakes. Once again, actively correct your spelling, that is simple shit, as you said, that is what the red line is for.

Now, unless you're very poor at English chances are that those mistakes wouldn't have hindered your ability to read it anyway, so I'm assuming the former.And again scientifically, your brain doesn't see the entire word rather the first and the last few, implying that the only reason you did see the mistake were either you were carefully reading or you use this website in some other kind where it highlights spelling mistakes on everything displayed

The brain sees how many letters, what is the 1st letter and what is the last letter and some other letters to go along with it too. Yes, some of your mistakes were easy to read, like your spelling of dangerous, but the way you spelt there made me have a hard to understand what you meant. I had to reread that entire sentence multiple times so the meaning was clear.

And btw the comma indicates a pause and if you tried naturally saying the sentence where I overused comma, you'll find yourself pausing at the exact same moment. It is indeed the actual way of writing but when it comes to a conversation (typing), people don't tend to use it.

You are correct, the comma and full stop are used where you naturally pausing while talking. That said, you have over used and under used them through out all 3 of your responses.

Guy leaves a phone in an ambient over 50C and it explodes.

In other news, guy sticks screwdriver into PSU and gets injured by the shock.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Ice Poseidon?

20 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I think you need to brush up on your reading comprehension.

There were not 96 cases before the first recall. The CPSC article which is the source of the 96 cases figure is from October 13. The first recall happened on September 12.

By the time 96 reports of exploding Note 7s had occurred Samsung had already done recalls twice, and discontinued the product (they did that October 10).

Come on dude, at least read your own source.

Sorry, my bad. I'll edit my post

Lmao this thread is pathetic! The amount of excuses for Apple omfg!

Not aloud to leave your phone in the car what a joke! Also if the windows were tinted that would have helped keep the temperature down, it's common in Aus to tint both your car and house windows to reduce heat. Another thing wrapping the phone in pants would also keep the phone cooler as there is no direct contact with the sun smh!

17 hours ago, Energycore said:

No it does not. The temperature needed to cause a healthy battery to explode is waaaay above 50 C. Again, it's more like 150 or 200 C. The battery was most likely defective and/or damaged.

I don't understand why people are defending Apple so hard over this. We have a few cases of batteries exploding every generation. Having a handful of phones explode when you sell millions of devices isn't that strange.

Leaving your phone in the car on a hot day will not cause it to explode, unless you happen to be very unlucky.

35 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No it does not. The temperature needed to cause a healthy battery to explode is waaaay above 50 C. Again, it's more like 150 or 200 C. The battery was most likely defective and/or damaged.

I don't understand why people are defending Apple so hard over this. We have a few cases of batteries exploding every generation. Having a handful of phones explode when you sell millions of devices isn't that strange.

Leaving your phone in the car on a hot day will not cause it to explode, unless you happen to be very unlucky.

Repeatedly exposing your phone to mistreatment increases your unluckiness.

I see no reason to defend Apple, they chose to use lithium batteries which are known to be volatile. But I do not see any need to attack or blame them for this incident either.

If you look at the photo of the fire, you can clearly see the bottle of powerade next to the fire, it seems obvious that the phone was sick of being wrapped up a a surfers sweaty pants and being left in a messy car smelling of pizza and booze, and decided to pour electrolytes over itself, to help it go out in a bang. The phone suffered for too long, and is in a better place now.

On 10/22/2016 at 2:48 PM, LAwLz said:

Gotta be honest, I should have looked before commenting :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 11:11 PM, wcreek said:

Well still, in the case of overheating. The phone should be able to shut down, though I suppose the phone probably doesn't need to be on for heat to still cause the li-ion battery to fail and start on fire or explode.

Even while not powering anything, a Li-Po cell can experience thermal runaway when heated too much. Though internal damage is the more likely result unless there was such damage or an internal short already present. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…