Worst Virus demands Bitcoin ransom

James_AJ

nope, read the article. It encrypts your entire freaking files.

fun :(

Pretty unique, heard of other Ransom malware just putting fake pictures up and asking there, easy to get around and clean, but if said Malware is going to be encrypting your files to avoid cleaning then we're semi fucked, luckily I have nothing worth apart from my games and some saves on my HDD.

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

Pretty unique, heard of other Ransom malware just putting fake pictures up and asking there, easy to get around and clean, but if said Malware is going to be encrypting your files to avoid cleaning then we're semi fucked, luckily I have nothing worth apart from my games and some saves on my HDD.

I had one of those older ransomware viruses a while ago and it wasn't that hard to get rid off, but this is kinda scary. I also don't have much to lose file wise but it is still pretty freaky.

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

I had one of those older ransomware viruses a while ago and it wasn't that hard to get rid off, but this is kinda scary. I also don't have much to lose file wise but it is still pretty freaky.

Exactly, guessing they found out it was easy enough for people to remove the ransomware with the right help which it was, but Encrypting the users files to force payment is semi ingenious, kinda surprised they didn't think of it earlier.

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

One way to prevent this is to disable execution of *.exe's in the %appdata% folder and white listing any that are required.

Wow.

Just Wow..

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

this just shows how shit windows is, this should never be possible.

Yeah.....sure it is......

You think IOS doesnt have virus issues? ROFLCOPTER.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Yeah.....sure it is......

You think IOS doesnt have virus issues? ROFLCOPTER.

i use windows myself and no there is no "virus" for ios unless u start jailbreaking the device which is no longer ios at that point, so no there is no viruses for IOS since its a closed system.

and why the fuck are you comparing a mobile OS with a computer OS? 

i use windows myself and no there is no "virus" for ios unless u start jailbreaking the device which is no longer ios at that point, so no there is no viruses for IOS since its a closed system.

He's thinking of the Mac OS, Not the IOS for mobile.

it's shit as well but less shitty than windows when talking about viruses

Dont swear at me young man.

Windows is not the only one that is affected from virus attacks.

So,you dont know what the hell you are talking about.

For EVERY OS there is a virus out there.

FYI.  http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-ios-app-store-gets-first-virus-learn-about-app-steals-your-contacts-and-spams-your-friends.

Store vector of infection for a virus for IOS

Yup,thats what i meant

this just shows how shit windows is, this should never be possible.

Having a problem is a symptom of existing, There's no way around it because perfection is impossible. Windows exists and it is flawed, complaining about it serves no purpose.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Wow someone actually thought this through and didn't just make a joke virus, I hope reason and my antivirus will ensure this never gets on my pc.

Aghum.. I have 0.0 BitCoins, good luck Virus :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

If you have stuff important enough to you to where you'd be willing to pay 300$ if you got encrypted malware, you shouldve had an external back up.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would laugh so hard it'd alert the neighbors if someone reverse engineered this so that it goes back to the hacker and encrypts their crap. :D

Ive got most data on HDD that i do backup every week. Reinstalling my version of OS is automated and soo is programs i need. 20-30 minutes to bring back my system up to full work...

Soo pay 300$ or "waste" 30 minutes? Ill take option number 2...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Couldn't you just halt the timer by disconnecting from wifi, turning off your computer, and stopping the BIOS clock? Then when the creators of it are caught you could turn on your computer and get those files back.

Every topic I post in dies.

All I can say is props to the programmer that made it, like it or not hackers, programmers and software designers control the digital world with viruses there is a never ending arms race in development for operating systems and applications and the end result is software gets better.

I wish them luck in taking out my PC though, I have 3 separate backups and only one of which is directly connected at all times, worse comes to worse I have a "Big Red Button" flash drive loaded up with a disk wiping program that I created as part of a school assignment.  It simply loads itself into RAM then proceeds to destroy all non primary drives then forces a erase and reinstall of windows 8.

Its so dangerous. But shouldn't your firewall/antivirus would already detect this and block it?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer