Worst Virus demands Bitcoin ransom

James_AJ

Aghum.. I have 0.0 BitCoins, good luck Virus :lol:

you either pay or all your files are locked down permanently with encryption. Only the hacker has encryption key that you need to decrypt the files.

you either pay or all your files are locked down permanently with encryption. Only the hacker has encryption key that you need to decrypt the files.

Oooooo, I'm scared. They invented backups for a reason. ;)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

well, from what I'm seeing here, this just gives one more reason to freaking BACK UP. <3

By using Bitcoin, the hacker should be easily* identifiable.

Bitcoin is the most transparent and public currency in the world. Every transaction is recorded forever on the public ledger which everyone has access to. If someone were to pay, they could watch, track, and follow transactions from one address to the next until the hacker slips up and is "identified". Whether he makes a mistake by cross-referencing address's known to the public, or tries to spend/exchange the Bitcoins. 

I'd also like to point out that these types of malware virus's get released every year it seems. Some mysterious hacker is always trying to hold our files hostage while demanding ransom... Most are fake, or easily fixable and aim to prey upon the non tech savvy. Personally I don't see this becoming a pandemic like the article states. Just another grab at a few extra clicks for a tech journalist.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

this just shows how shit windows is, this should never be possible.

Like we needed more reasons to use Linux

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

this just shows how shit windows is, this should never be possible.

Like we needed more reasons to use Linux

It happens on all OS's, maybe not a real lock down like this one but those e-mails that scare people who have no clue to send money for some scary reason that is totally bogus.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

i use windows myself and no there is no "virus" for ios unless u start jailbreaking the device which is no longer ios at that point, so no there is no viruses for IOS since its a closed system.

and why the fuck are you comparing a mobile OS with a computer OS? 

watch your language 

i use windows myself and no there is no "virus" for ios unless u start jailbreaking the device which is no longer ios at that point, so no there is no viruses for IOS since its a closed system.

LOL. Jail breaking iOS makes it not iOS? Then what is it? Android? Windows phone? Still has the original code of iOS written on it. And what are u talking about? How is this windows fault? This virus can't be stopped without making windows more inconvenient than it already is

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

One way to prevent this is to disable execution of *.exe's in the %appdata% folder and white listing any that are required.

This.

Only real way of protecting yourself.

I work for a cloud services provided and we literally had nearly 20 customers in the space of a week who got infected by this.

AV software DOES NOT pick this up until it's too late. Note that when it does pick it up and removes the malware, it is also removing any possibility of you decrypting your files.

This will also attack network attached storage, so long as you have write access.

Also, the encryption is legit, the timer is legit and the random/decryption is legit. Paying the ransom WILL get your files decrypted, not that I'd recommend it.

When I was removing it from a client's PC, I found that it was creating random .exe's with completely garbled names (random num/letter combos). No idea what they did, however I strongly suggest you remove them.

The only source I have found so far, is an executable file attached in an email which had its icon changed to a PDF. An easy mistake to make, make sure you do the above mentioned as well as enabling file extensions in file names to see what you're opening.

After being downloaded, CryptoLocker installs itself in a user's "Documents and Settings" folder. It then scans the hard drive for a whole host of different file types—from family photographs to Microsoft Word and Adobe Photoshop documents—and encrypts them.

Sounds like a file level encryption.

Wondering if System restore/file versioning can handle it should be able to bring it back.  I'm pretty sure block level backups would be able to handle it... can't find any testing on it though.

Anyway... BACKUP UP! In this case, a method that doesn't leave the backup accessible. (online, unplug external, network storage that requires extra authentication every time... etc)

edit:

This is how it works

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/10/18/cryptolocker-ransomware-see-how-it-works-learn-about-prevention-cleanup-and-recovery/

video: note: He had to turn off is anti virus for demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2kmmsMpMI#t=12

My Rigs (past and present)

doing a raw data recovery on the effected folder may be a way to recover the data, i have no desire to test this theory though...

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

doing a raw data recovery on the effected folder may be a way to recover the data, i have no desire to test this theory though...

it's still encrypted and I'm pretty sure you still need the key from the hacker... but like many others said, *backups* - because *reasons*

Mobile devices are still computers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As long as you get rid of the virus first.  Yes (overwriting data with old backup will work), since the virus is currently only doing file level encrypting.  And its also not a network spreading virus (infect other computer through network hacks).

If I can get my hands on it, I don't mind testing it.

If I can get my hands on it, I don't mind testing it.

I wrote down the DL link for it from a client's PC if you want it?

I wrote down the DL link for it from a client's PC if you want it?

Sure.  probably just pm it to me haha.  

Hope your client got their data back?

Gabriel, on 21 Oct 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:Gabriel, on 21 Oct 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

it's shit as well but less shitty than windows when talking about viruses

*facepalm* not even gonna comment

On another note ill just re-dl my stuff no biggie LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OEbt61togp4#t=49

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY MAN HOURS THAT WOULD TAKE!!!!!!!

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

Sure.  probably just pm it to me haha.  

Hope your client got their data back?

Left it at work and I have a day off today, so I'll PM you tomorrow morning :)

Client had their data backed up using our software, however they ended up paying the ransom (against what we were telling them) as they couldn't afford the downtime of getting the machine rebuilt.

The decryption process actually took longer than a rebuild would have, so I guess it's a case of "I told you so".

I don't how people keep bashing windows. Linux and iOS have plenty of viruses. Even more for Linux.
Linux systems have the largest amount of virus on them worldwide. However most of them are not shown, nor active. 

But as soon as you share a file or connection to a windows user you spread the disease, that the windows user would never have got in the first place, it would have been blocked;
But the Linux user with no anti virus let it in. 

No way to decrypt... What about brute force decryption? try every key in a sandbox until it works?

No way to decrypt... What about brute force decryption? try every key in a sandbox until it works?

I don't think you realise how long that would take :P

Every user has a unique key too, so that would have to be done for every instance.

I don't think you realise how long that would take :P

Every user has a unique key too, so tha twould have to be done for every instance.

Yeah, a long time, but It would still feel good just to spite the guy who made it.