120hz 1440 IPS G-sync could be coming

Fruitbooter

Overlord who have been producing excellent 120hz IPS monitors for a while now have reported about talks with Nvida about a possible partnership in producing a new monitor aimed at gamers. 

http://overlordforum.com/topic/603-nvidia-g-sync/

A while ago I was surprised by an email from Nvidia wanting me to come down and test drive their revolutionary new tech, then tentatively entitled VRR, now known as G-Sync.  It was pretty cool wandering the halls and seeing into the secret tech facilities at Nvidia and it was even cooler still discussing creating an IPS 1440 120Hz G-Sync enabled display for the hardcore gaming community.

Sounds very very promising! 

Wait... 1440p IPS 120Hz? Isn't that impossible though.

Display port?

Quote me to get a reply!

Now this is something I could see myself buying, and not an old TN panel just cant justify that anymore.

| Case:  NZXT H440 White| Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark I| CPU: Intel core i7 4770k | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60  | Graphics Card: EVGA 780ti Classified| SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb and 500gb | HDD: WD Black 2tb| RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb| PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Monitor: LG 34UM95| Keyboard: Logitech G15 | Mouse: Razer Mamba| Audio: HyperX Cloud |

Display port?

That's not the point. I don't think any IPS monitor can do 120Hz, I remember reading 90-100 was the maximum they could go.

You can pick up a cheap 1440p IPS off a well known auction site that will overclock to 120hz no problem.

Display port?

Both Display Port and Dual Link DVI have enough bandwidth to support 120Hz at 1440P for an IPS monitor.

But damn, that'll be one expensive monitor! 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

i want 4K or 5K 120hz IPS with g-sync

And how many titans do you intend to buy for this.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Come to think of it... isn't it really just the circuit board's ability... the panel shouldn't need to be 120hz... 120Hz is just headroom for when framerates go beyond 60.  Panels with 60Hz can still benefit...

Theoretically, I should be able to swap out the board on my korean motherboard with a board that has g-sync integrated.

Looking forward to hardware hacks and nvidia driver hacks!

My Rigs (past and present)

Apparently Nvidia will be releasing 'retro-fit' kits for people who have particular Asus monitors I do believe.

take my money games with fast refresh rates omg which one Mantle or g sync

$$金Trill金$$

You can pick up a cheap 1440p IPS off a well known auction site that will overclock to 120hz no problem.

Why so vague? Everyone on here knows that you can go on EBAY to buy the KOREAN ones fairly cheap.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Why so vague? Everyone on here knows that you can go on EBAY to buy the KOREAN ones fairly cheap.

Haha! 

Sorry I'm used to a well known UK forum where the ban hammer comes out if you mention another site! 

Yeh grab a Qnix off ebay and your laughing really...

Haha! 

Sorry I'm used to a well known UK forum where the ban hammer comes out if you mention another site! 

Yeh grab a Qnix off ebay and your laughing really...

:P Ya not so strict here.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

linking to another forum :|   

Excuse me? He linked the source. Whether that is a forum is irrelevant.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

$1000 monitors here we go! 4K or 120Hz G-Sync IPS?

As long as the g-sync chip also implements a variable strobing PWM-less backlight, I'm all for it. 1440p IPS panels with CRT smoothness. Fuck yeah.

IPS true 120Hz is impossible. IPS panel is not fast enougth. You have terrible resonse time that people assume as they are seieng more frames, but next to a true and good TN 120Hz monitor, you can see the difference.

Getting G-Sync is nice.. but I don't know what it will do, I expect a mess. Not to mention that the input lag of these cheap korean monitors (or Overload), is that input lag is really high. It used to be good, but now IPS from trusted brand uses much faster internal processor, better optimized and faster circuit making the monitor with very low input lag. The new models that are coming out, have an even lower input lag than even "gaming" class monitors. Just incredible. It's possible, because the price of the monitor is higher, so money goes in faster and better components.

120Hz IPS maybe possible in the near future, every generation of IPS panel gets faster and faster response time. And I am talking about ACTUAL response time. But not today.

Wulfgar took the words right out of my mouth.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Isn't the whole point of g-sync to make lower framerates feel much smoother?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I was going to get the normal G-Sync but I will definitely be getting this one instead. Unless it's terrible. It would be a great monitor for 10 years as 120hz is hard to reach on most GPU's and as it's 2560 it would be even harder on most setups that is.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

And how many titans do you intend to buy for this.

By the time such things exist, the GPU performance will be way up there.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan