Good reliable 10GbE card with RJ45?

honna1612

Can anyone here recommend a reliable 10Gbit addin card for any PCIe slot.

It should be capable of 1,2Gbyte/s transfer speed.

It should also be cheap as possible without sacrificing anything said above. Thx

Why do you need a 10Gbps ethernet NIC? If you have like $800+ for 2 NICs (RJ45) then go ahead but unless you have NVMe SSDs/raid 0 SATA SSDs in the server/host machine and NVMe SSDs/Raid 0 SSDs in the second machine then there's not much point :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

You have made loads of posts asking similar questions.

Do you really need a 10Gbe NIC? What are you doing?

You seem inexperienced on forums. Do you actually know what you are doing or even what this stuff is? Or have you just heard about it and think you need it?

A 10Gbe switch is $1000+

4 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Why do you need a 10Gbps ethernet NIC? If you have like $800+ for 2 NICs (RJ45) then go ahead but unless you have NVMe SSDs/raid 0 SATA SSDs in the server/host machine and NVMe SSDs/Raid 0 SSDs in the second machine then there's not much point :/ 

Dude 1 NVMe SSD is more than enough to saturate 10Gbit. Samsung 960 pro M.2 has 3,2 Gbyte/s read. That is 3x 10Gbit. I would say that even 10Gbit is too slow.

We have been stuck with 1GbE for more than a decade now and I want to find a cheap alternative. Seems like 10GBase-T is not the right path.

Check out my post about Infiniband for a sub 100 dollar 40Gbit point to point solution.

14 minutes ago, honna1612 said:

Dude 1 NVMe SSD is more than enough to saturate 10Gbit. Samsung 960 pro M.2 has 3,2 Gbyte/s read. That is 3x 10Gbit. I would say that even 10Gbit is too slow.

1. I said A NVMe or mutiple SATA SSDs in RAID 0...never did I say multiple NVMe drives.

2. Networking revolves more around what internet speeds we can get rather than what we want for our NASes.

3. Stop spamming this forums with topics on the exact same thing!

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

2. Networking revolves more around what internet speeds we can get rather than what we want for our NASes.

3. Stop spamming this forums with topics on the exact same thing!

If 2) would be true we would still only have 100Mbit because everything else if faster for most people. Please dont mix opinions with facts.

For 3)

I dont post on the exact same thing every post is about a completetly different technology meant for different people who use these devices and have some knowledge to share.

I wonder why 10Gbps and 40Gbps aren't mainstream...maybe it's because >95% of consumer storage servers use HDDs and how you've only given them less than 1 year to catch up to NVMe speeds? (and less than 2-3 years for SATA SSDs as they were very expensive back then).

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I wonder why 10Gbps and 40Gbps aren't mainstream...maybe it's because >95% of consumer storage servers use HDDs and how you've only given them less than 1 year to catch up to NVMe speeds? (and less than 2-3 years for SATA SSDs as they were very expensive back then).

I didnt ask why they are not mainstream I asked if someone recommend an addin card. Some people just like to think that nobody ever needs more than mainstream for their usage...

11 minutes ago, honna1612 said:

I didnt ask why they are not mainstream I asked if someone recommend an addin card. Some people just like to think that nobody ever needs more than mainstream for their usage...

And fair enough you have thousands of dollars to spend on the PCs, NICs, NVMe drives (you'd want more than 2TB of it as you've said, one game takes up 80GB of space) but most people don't and if it's not a large chunk of consumers who require those speeds then they won't spend the millions required for the R&D.

On 2016-10-11 at 0:30 AM, Mr.Meerkat said:

And fair enough you have thousands of dollars to spend on the PCs, NICs, NVMe drives (you'd want more than 2TB of it as you've said, one game takes up 80GB of space) but most people don't and if it's not a large chunk of consumers who require those speeds then they won't spend the millions required for the R&D.

You don't need NVMe drives to take advantage of 10Gb Ethernet. A couple of mechanical hard drives in RAID (which you should have on your NAS) will get bottlenecks by 1Gbps easily. 

As for the price, you can find a 10Gb switch for like 700 dollars. It's not cheap, but certainly not thousands of dollars. Maybe slightly above 1K if you want the switch and a few NICs. 

Even a SATA based SSD will go over 1Gbps a few times over. We're almost at the point where you can get consumer-grade access points that will tip over that limit. Not with a single client just yet but with multiple clients? Sure. That's already a thing. This is before you get into things like the connection between two switches. So yeah, there's a need for more than 1Gbps.... even if 10Gbps is still a bit overkill for home users.

I don't think the OP was being anywhere near as crazy as some are suggesting.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

2 hours ago, skywake said:

Even a SATA based SSD will go over 1Gbps a few times over. We're almost at the point where you can get consumer-grade access points that will tip over that limit. Not with a single client just yet but with multiple clients? Sure. That's already a thing. This is before you get into things like the connection between two switches. So yeah, there's a need for more than 1Gbps.... even if 10Gbps is still a bit overkill for home users.

I don't think the OP was being anywhere near as crazy as some are suggesting.

The new multi gigabit standards, NBase-T, have just been ratified so expect products with this to start coming out in the near future.

On September 23, 2016, The IEEE-SA Standards Board approved IEEE Std 802.3bz-2016.[4]

The IEEE Standard 802.3bz defines:[5]

• 2.5 Gbit/s up to at least 100m of Cat 5e
  • 5 Gbit/s up to at least 100m of Cat 6
  • 5 Gbit/s up to 100m of Cat 5e "on defined use cases and deployment configurations"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5GBASE-T_and_5GBASE-T

59 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The new multi gigabit standards, NBase-T, have just been ratified so expect products with this to start coming out in the near future.

I know. And it's a thing specifically because of some the stuff I mentioned. Though I do like that chart on the wiki page.....

10Mbps -> 10Mhz

Cat 3 -> 16Mhz @ 100m

100Mbps -> 31Mhz

1Gbps -> 63Mhz

2.5Gbps -> 100Mhz

Cat 5e -> 100Mhz @ 100m

5Gbps -> 200Mhz

Cat6 -> 250Mhz @ 100m

10Gbps -> 400Mhz

Cat6A -> 500Mhz @ 100m

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

25 minutes ago, skywake said:

I know. And it's a thing specifically because of some the stuff I mentioned. Though I do like that chart on the wiki page.....

Yea reply was more for everyone to know rather than just directed at you :). It is rather awkward with these new wireless standards and upcoming ones that support multi gigabits of bandwidth but the Ethernet port is limited to 1Gbps.

The best part about it is the support for existing cables, that will make sure it does get in to consumer products unlike 10Gb. It wasn't just cost that hindered it, not really an issue now, but everyone really needing Cat 6A to properly support it. Cat 6 does work up to 55m but realistically you can't count on people knowing that or ensuring best case environment, I use Cat 6 10Gb because I have to as that's whats in the walls of the house.

Honestly the uptake speed of 10Gb is no slower than the move from 100Mb to 1Gb.

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5GBASE-T_and_5GBASE-T

Good luck waiting for "the near future"...

I thought this forum was for enthusiasts and not people who always find a reason why their good ol tech is still better than everything else. In the meanwhile I already found a sub 100 Dollar solution for 40Gbit :)

Check out my other posts about infiniband.

Sometimes having overkill technology opens up new tech nobody thought of. Think of 4k displays on the phone. A lot of people always complain that 4k on 5 inches is an overkill but suddenly things like VR for the phone become a reality.

We have been stuck with 1GBit for more than a decade. Its time to move on.

So please spare comments like "why you need this" and "1Gbit is more than enought"

Please just write the name of a affordable 10Gbit NIC with RJ45 you can recommend.

1 hour ago, honna1612 said:

Good luck waiting for "the near future"...

I thought this forum was for enthusiasts and not people who always find a reason why their good ol tech is still better than everything else. In the meanwhile I already found a sub 100 Dollar solution for 40Gbit :)

Sometimes having overkill technology opens up new tech nobody thought of. Think of 4k displays on the phone. A lot of people always complain that 4k on 5 inches is an overkill but suddenly things like VR for the phone become a reality.

We have been stuck with 1GBit for more than a decade. Its time to move on.

So please spare comments like "why you need this" and "1Gbit is more than enought"

Please just write the name of a affordable 10Gbit NIC with RJ45 you can recommend.

We are moving on, to IEEE 802.3bz 2.5GBase-T and 5GBase-T. How brand new do you want, this is September 23, 2016 new.

Continue to be this hostile and self promoting and you may find that your threads get locked and questionable posts hidden.

Ask for advice and help in a mature and friendly way, as our Community Standards outline, and you'll get much better responses from the community. We also have a responsibility to check whether or not you need something you are asking for so we don't lead you in to bad purchasing decisions and wasting money, help and advice isn't just getting what you want.

Also I have lived through the migration of Token Ring, 10Base-T, 100Base-T, Hubs to Switches, 1000Base-T so when I say the move to 10GBase-T isn't that slow I actually have existing experience to reference.

Being an early adopter costs money, that is why high end graphics cards cost what they do and same with the enthusiast CPUs. Learn to deal with it, if you do need it then pay for it like I did. I spent $1400 on 10GBase-T NICs and not once did I cry about the cost. Being an 'enthusiasts' comes at a cost, what you are asking for is for 10GBase-T to be main stream and that won't be for the next 2-3 years.

Do you need 10GBase-T or can you use 10Gb SFP+?

10GBase-T Options:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-X540-T2-10G-Dual-RJ45-Ports-PCI-Express-Ethernet-Converged-Network-Adapter-/152235721180?hash=item2371f4c1dc:g:ueAAAOSwgmJX0t3W

10Gb SFP+ Options:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chelsio-110-1047-20-1-Port-PCI-E-10Gb-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-Card-/331907631183?hash=item4d473c884f:g:4sAAAOSw7s5Xhjqb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-Coraid-Dual-Port-10-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-LP-AOC-STGN-I2S-/282211356616?hash=item41b51b8fc8:g:74QAAOSwLF1X9~rq

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mellanox-ConnectX-2-Single-Port-SFP-10GBE-P-N-Network-Card-MNPA19-XTR-/151638127827?hash=item234e5634d3:g:mr4AAOSwKtlWsnVN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-X520-DA1-E10G41BTDA-G1P5-10Gb-10-Gbe-10-gigabit-Network-Adapter-Genuine-/222260584692?hash=item33bfc360f4:g:8AkAAOSw9NdXvfYy