I give up. Going back to Win 8

danforz

Hi all. Wanted to run this by everyone. Since updating to Windows 10 I've had back-to-back problems. Disk usage at 100%. Start up errors / failure to start up. Now, the system is telling me that I need permission from myself to delete files (I'm logged in as "DF," and it tells me I need permission from "DF" to delete a folder...). I don't recall these problems in Win 8. Before I do it, I wanted to run it by you in case anyone had any thoughts? Any reason not to?

2 minutes ago, danforz said:

Hi all. Wanted to run this by everyone. Since updating to Windows 10 I've had back-to-back problems. Disk usage at 100%. Start up errors / failure to start up. Now, the system is telling me that I need permission from myself to delete files (I'm logged in as "DF," and it tells me I need permission from "DF" to delete a folder...). I don't recall these problems in Win 8. Before I do it, I wanted to run it by you in case anyone had any thoughts? Any reason not to?

Was it a fresh install or a straight update from Windows 8?

i did a fresh install on a new pc with windows 10 and i never had such problems.

9 minutes ago, Coombzy said:

Was it a fresh install or a straight update from Windows 8?

Fresh. Fresh install 2x actually. Always problems. 

Fresh. Fresh install 2x actually. Always problems. 

Did you do the fresh install properly?

Did you unplug all drives except one before installing?

Did you delete all the partitions?

Did you format all the other drives after installing?

Did you let windows detect hardware and install drivers after the first boot up?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Did you do the fresh install properly?

Did you unplug all drives except one before installing?

Did you delete all the partitions?

Did you format all the other drives after installing?

Did you let windows detect hardware and install drivers after the first boot up?

Unplug all drives before installing? No. Why on earth would you have to do that? 

No, I did not format the other drives either. They have data on them (as drives typically do!). This is lunacy that this much work would have to go into installing Windows and making it work.

The only reason to choose windows 10 over 8.1 or 7 for the forseeable future is for Guatana? or w/e that voice activation thingy is called and for the DirectX12 API.

However DX12 games are rather scarse, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

and in most of the current games that support DX12 there is no "realworld" difference nor a simple answer for weather DX12 or DX11 is better in general. So its not like a simple "free" upgrade in performance like moving from OpenGL to Vulcan is on Doom for example.

Personaly I still dont fully trust that whole windows10 thingy, just because on how hard they did try to force it on people and how much "spying" on the user is enabled by default.

Time has showen over and over again that Microsoft has a habit of pushing out really shitty OS. I'll just say windows ME, vista and 8 prior to 8.1 upgrade and since people are still divided on weather win10 is good or bad, it definately needs more work put into it.

I mean if you belive microsoft, win10 is the last OS ever, so it does not matter if you have it now or in 10years, if there never will be another one, use w/e you know it works until you actually get a proper reason to get windows 10.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

1 minute ago, Nord said:

The only reason to choose windows 10 over 8.1 or 7 for the forseeable future is for Guatana? or w/e that voice activation thingy is called and for the DirectX12 API.

However DX12 games are rather scarse, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

and in most of the current games that support DX12 there is no "realworld" difference nor a simple answer for weather DX12 or DX11 is better in general. So its not like a simple "free" upgrade in performance like moving from OpenGL to Vulcan is on Doom for example.

Personaly I still dont fully trust that whole windows10 thingy, just because on how hard they did try to force it on people and how much "spying" on the user is enabled by default.

Time has showen over and over again that Microsoft has a habit of pushing out really shitty OS. I'll just say windows ME, vista and 8 prior to 8.1 upgrade and since people are still divided on weather win10 is good or bad, it definately needs more work put into it.

I mean if you belive microsoft, win10 is the last OS ever, so it does not matter if you have it now or in 10years, if there never will be another one, use w/e you know it works until you actually get a proper reason to get windows 10.

Good to know. 

My Win 8 was very stable. 

Unplug all drives before installing? No. Why on earth would you have to do that? 

No, I did not format the other drives either. They have data on them (as drives typically do!). This is lunacy that this much work would have to go into installing Windows and making it work.

Uh, because otherwise partitions can be created in places you don't want them to be...

And if there are old OS partitions on other drives that can cause problems.

The proper way of installing windows is

1) unplug everything except the drive you want to install to

2) delete all partitions until "unallocated space" is left

3) install windows

4) wait an hour for everything to get detected and installed

5) install windows updates and restart

6) plug in your other drives. If they only have data like documents or pictures then it's fine, but if they have OS files or programs then you should move the data off, format them, and move the data back.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ddanforz is just too lazy to look into his problems. I am sure his issues is related to missing drivers for the disc usage issue (which is normally the case), or confusing with Windows maintenance cycle when first installing the OS, and as for the permission thing, he install Adobe Acrobat which didn't set the permission of some files right, and so when he uninstalled it, it left files he can't delete. All he as to do is gain permission on the files, which is a few mouse clicks, and he refuses to do them. As I explained to him, as the files are in his D:\ drive, installing Windows 8 back, will not make these files magically deletable (as only C:\ drive will be formatted)

20 minutes ago, Nord said:

Windows XP actually had a really rocky start until SP2.

For example if you installed it while you left it connected to the internet, drive by malware would eat your install alive before you could run your first benchmark.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Ddanforz is just too lazy to look into his problems. I am sure his issues is related to missing drivers for the disc usage issue (which is normally the case), or confusing with Windows maintenance cycle when first installing the OS, and as for the permission thing, he install Adobe Acrobat which didn't set the permission of some files right, and so when he uninstalled it, it left files he can't delete. All he as to do is gain permission on the files, which is a few mouse clicks, and he refuses to do them.

I tried the permissions issue fix. I tried it before you even mentioned it. It didn't work. 

1 minute ago, danforz said:

I tried the permissions issue fix. I tried it before you even mentioned it. It didn't work. 

There's people who come to help, there's people who come to judge...

Well, did you do it right? That is the question.

I don't know what permissions were set wrongly as I am only working with limited details. Did you set the Effective Access to your account? When you added your account, did you check the boxes for Full Control? Did you check the box to replace all child under "Permissions" tab.