is it ok to shut off pc by cable

aries757

i want to get an alexa and an smart switch for my new pc i building soon, to where i can say, "Alexa, turn PC off, will this affect pc life span?

MF UH BEANS

I feel like you're asking two different questions here. What is an "Alexa"?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hardware wise it should not effect the lifespan of your components. However you run a huge risk of corrupting windows files that can cause all sorts of issues that take forever to diagnose and repair.

Quantum Chaos: i7 6850K | 2x Strix 1080Ti SLI | MSI X99 SLI Krait | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB | 3TB WD Red RAID 1

Well, if you have no hard-drives it shouldn't "hurt" it per say, but I would not recommend doing it often.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I would think so yes. Alexa cannot go into Windows and click shut down. All she will do is cut power and doing that is never a good idea. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

No it is not OK.

There's a chance you will corrupt your operating system and need to reinstall windows.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, aries757 said:

i want to get an alexa and an smart switch for my new pc i building soon, to where i can say, "Alexa, turn PC off, will this affect pc life span?

I wouldnt recommend doing this, Windows has to shut down properly or else you might loose data/corrupt things.

So in windows, you can configure it so that if you quickly press and release the power button on the machine, the normal shut down sequence will occur. So then, you can use your Alexa to "push the button" (really just turning on a transistor that you're going to wire in place of the switch). Remember that the push should last less than half a second for this to work.

My question is "How do you plan on modifying your Alexa to do this?"

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

8 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

So in windows, you can configure it so that if you quickly press and release the power button on the machine, the normal shut down sequence will occur. So then, you can use your Alexa to "push the button" (really just turning on a transistor that you're going to wire in place of the switch). Remember that the push should last less than half a second for this to work.

My question is "How do you plan on modifying your Alexa to do this?"

i would simply get an tp link smart wall plug, plug my pc in too it, when i want it on i tell alexa to turn it on, but from the feedback apparently i shouldn't do this

MF UH BEANS

11 minutes ago, aries757 said:

i would simply get an tp link smart wall plug, plug my pc in too it, when i want it on i tell alexa to turn it on, but from the feedback apparently i shouldn't do this

No you should not do it that way. But I think it's still doable. If you could "hack" your smart wall plug to instead drive a transistor that would replace the power button on the machine (or be ORed with it, more on that if you're interested) then I think it would work fine.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME