A build that is IMPOSSIBLE for Linus to build.

CRikhard

You know how Linus made the video about the AMD R9 295X2 rated at 500W? I just realized it'd be impossible to make a build with four of those because, as far as I know, there are no 2000W+ power supplies.

Then again, they did do 8 Titan Xs :P

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

3 minutes ago, CRikhard said:

You know how Linus made the video about the AMD R9 295X2 rated at 500W? I just realized it'd be impossible to make a build with four of those because, as far as I know, there are no 2000W+ power supplies.

You can get systems with mulitiple powersupplys. 

You can also get also get chassis with 6x 3000w psu's. 

5 minutes ago, CRikhard said:

No 2000W PSUs in the US maybe... http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products_detail.php?class=2&sn=16&ID=119&lang=en

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I don't think anything is impossible with Linus. Some of the systems he has built were nuts........like the 7 gamers 1 PC build.......like seriously, Linus could build anything

I want to see him make a waterproof computer.  Then drive through a carwash with it running in the bed of a pickup.  While doing the Crysis 3 benchmark!

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

What makes it complicated (but not impossible) is the "standard" wiring we have in north america, it's usually 120V/15A circuits, so technically it's max 1800w.

But like I said, it's not impossible (higher amps wires, fuse/breakers and wall plug do exist, but it's not standard).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

What makes it complicated (but not impossible) is the "standard" wiring we have in north america, it's usually 120V/15A circuits, so technically it's max 1800w.

But like I said, it's not impossible (higher amps wires, fuse/breakers and wall plug do exist, but it's not standard).

So more excuse to laugh like an evil James Bond villain as you flip the switch to power the beast up?

Just now, wkdpaul said:

kek

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

230v Master race :D

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Your definition of impossible is a bit weak...

It's (currently) impossible for him to put together a build while on Pluto. Or on the surface of the Sun.

Even if there wasn't any 2000w PSUs (not even in the server land), and using multiple ones wasn't a thing, I wouldn't say it's impossible at all. He could just get someone to build a custom one for him. or even try it himself... He (the company) has money, and contacts.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

2 minutes ago, squirrl said:

Your definition of impossible is a bit weak...

It's (currently) impossible for him to put together a build while on Pluto. Or on the surface of the Sun.

Even if there wasn't any 2000w PSUs (not even in the server land), and using multiple ones wasn't a thing, I wouldn't say it's impossible at all. He could just get someone to build a custom one for him. or even try it himself... He (the company) has money, and contacts.

Build a gaming computer, inside a gaming computer, that both fit inside a micro ATX case. 

49 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I want to see him make a waterproof computer.  Then drive through a carwash with it running in the bed of a pickup.  While doing the Crysis 3 benchmark!

the computer would be easy the hard part would be the monitor

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, vorticalbox said:

the computer would be easy the hard part would be the monitor

Good point, I'd want to see him use his personal OLED TV. 

8 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Seems that they can't do competent budget builds either.

they seems to go good at gaming/high end and as low as you can go. I would say its down to the amount or products in the low mid where as the higher builds have clear tiers of hardware.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Every power supply I've used, admittingly a small sample size, can be switched between 120/240VAC.  240V 15amp outlets are pretty common and not hard to wire in.  I believe that would open up about 3.6kW of available power.

30 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

Every power supply I've used, admittingly a small sample size, can be switched between 120/240VAC.  240V 15amp outlets are pretty common and not hard to wire in.  I believe that would open up about 3.6kW of available power.

In North America it would be easier and cheaper to get a 120v 20A circuit than a 240v circuit and outlet (not sure we have "regular" 3 prongs 240v outlet here, but don't quote me on this).

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Run it off two circuits :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

23 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

In North America it would be easier and cheaper to get a 120v 20A circuit than a 240v circuit and outlet (not sure we have "regular" 3 prongs 240v outlet here, but don't quote me on this).

Home depot stocks 3 prong, 2 socket 240v outlets.  If you have one 120v outlet on a breaker of its own it would be very straightforward to rewire it to 240v.

2 hours ago, NavyCuda said:

Home depot stocks 3 prong, 2 socket 240v outlets.  If you have one 120v outlet on a breaker of its own it would be very straightforward to rewire it to 240v.

HEY! I said "don't quote me on this" xD

Good to know we also have 240v 3 prong outlets available! :)

14 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

HEY! I said "don't quote me on this" xD

Good to know we also have 240v 3 prong outlets available! :)

If memory serves me correctly, they are the plugs that have both spades horizontal, with earth ground on the bottom.  I believe Nema 6-15.

240v has become much more interesting to me now that I have an electric car.  At home I charge off 120v which makes the car usable once per day as I'm in a rural area.  Also charge at work, but have a 32amp 240v EVSE at work.

1 minute ago, NavyCuda said:

If memory serves me correctly, they are the plugs that have both spades horizontal, with earth ground on the bottom.  I believe Nema 6-15.

240v has become much more interesting to me now that I have an electric car.  At home I charge off 120v which makes the car usable once per day as I'm in a rural area.  Also charge at work, but have a 32amp 240v EVSE at work.

Correct, NEMA 6-15 is what you'd want for a 15amp circuit.  I just changed over a outlet for a mini-mill I have in my basement, took about 10 minutes to do the swap.  You can use the same wiring as long as you're using a 220v breaker with the same amp rating as the 110v one it's replacing.

13 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Correct, NEMA 6-15 is what you'd want for a 15amp circuit.  I just changed over a outlet for a mini-mill I have in my basement, took about 10 minutes to do the swap.  You can use the same wiring as long as you're using a 220v breaker with the same amp rating as the 110v one it's replacing.

It's a little more simple than that.  For 240v, one breaker on each leg, so two 15amp breakers. 110v is just one breaker on one leg, with a neutral wire and an earth ground. 

I'm not an engineer, just recently replaced my electric hot water tank! :D