HDDs On The Ropes, Samsung Predicts SSD Price Collisions As NVMe Takes Over

It's me!

I can't believe they aren't working on a new SATA spec, that really makes no sense. No wonder NVMe is taking over. 

SSDs are steadily displacing HDDs in more applications, but NVMe is shaping up to be the dark horse that may put the venerable HDD to rest.

NVMe Muscles SATA Out Of The Ring

NVMe SSDs are taking over the SSD market at an astounding rate while pushing SATA to the wayside. NVMe SSDs accounted for only 3 million units in 2014 but have skyrocketed to 33 million units this year.  This year was undoubtedly the "breakout" year for NVMe, but Samsung predicts that 2017 will tip the scales entirely in NVMe's favor with 64 million NVMe SSDs outweighing the 52 million SATA SSDs that will hit the market.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-ssd-hdd-sata-nvme,32762.html

r_600x450.jpg

As someone who uses a sata ssd I would not spend more for a nvme drive as the difference is marginal from what I've seen.

Also Samsung pricing on sata SSDs going up may be to blame for some sata sales loss

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

How does a graph comparing NVMe to SATA SSD sales determine HDD being put to rest exactly? I don't think HDD will go anywhere until flash memory price/gb gets much closer.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

NVMe makes sense for performance, especially if you only need a single drive. Still, there's a lot of M.2 SATA drives out there too, so I'd be surprised if NVMe really was that dominant... in part, is this because this seems to be Samsung data. Do they do many M.2 SATA drives? If they sell mostly NVMe, it'll skew their figures. I'd suspect SATA still forms the bulk of the total market.

Wonder if Seagate has a plan in the SSD era? WDC at least acquired Sandisk.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'm sorry but that seems veeery optimistic.

The end of 2016 is already getting closer and tbh i don't see myself getting an nvme drive anytime soon.

Neither do i see nvme sales being twice as big in 2 years than ssd sales today.

I just don't see the advantage they have in the real world for me compared to ssd's...

Is that just me or are there other people that think the same?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

5 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

As someone who uses a sata ssd I would not spend more for a nvme drive as the difference is marginal from what I've seen.

Also Samsung pricing on sata SSDs going up may be to blame for some sata sales loss

In the future is will you will have pcie only

Today we go

Pcie > SATA > SSD Controler > Flash

Why keep that extra chip or part of a a chip

Just go 

Pcie > SSD Controller > Flash

Well, they aren't making a new version of SATA. There is no 12Gb/s SATA, EVER. they already announced it. SO the argument is moot. 

There is no way you can realistically argue that SATA is going to stay relevant when it is dead. 

There is NO WAY that anything will EVER take over PATA!!! (said the person of questionable intelligence).

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

snip

Money is the determining factor if they lower the cost I see no issue (other than intel still only releasing chips with 16 pcie lanes for non enthusiast platforms)

But price is key, if they don't lower the price then this will not come to pass

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, It's me! said:

There is NO WAY that anything will EVER take over PATA!!! (said the person of questionable intelligence).

We're not saying that at all we're saying pcie drives are still to expensive for this article to make a lick of sense

HDDs will not be replaced for a long time.

For people on a budget, we need SSDs to have at most twice the price/GB (500GB SSD for $50). Otherwise people will still get their $500 builds with just the 1TB HDD, or that and a small SSD.

For datacenters that handle oodles of data, all but the most expensive SSDs wear out in a blink. The additional performance of the SSD is often also not needed.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

10 minutes ago, It's me! said:

Well, they aren't making a new version of SATA. There is no 12Gb/s SATA, EVER. they already announced it. SO the argument is moot. 

There is no way you can realistically argue that SATA is going to stay relevant when it is dead. 

It won't die within a few years at least because there's no need to currently sacrifice both money for speed and capacity in EVERY situation. I don't see NAS with NVMe, a majority of pre-builts shipping with NVMe, nor the majority of users who want bulk storage for media files or backups using NVMe anytime soon.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

(other than intel still only releasing chips with 16 pcie lanes for non enthusiast platforms)

You have anouhter 4-20 lanes from the chipset for devices like pcie ssds, nics, usb 3, thunderbolt.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You have anouhter 4-20 lanes from the chipset for devices like pcie ssds, nics, usb 3, thunderbolt.

Really? I was under the assumption that a pcie ssd took cpu pcie lanes, and by looking it up online I see no evidence to dispute my assumptions in fact quite the opposite. o.O???

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Really? I was under the assumption that a pcie ssd took cpu pcie lanes, and by looking it up online I see no evidence to dispute my assumptions in fact quite the opposite.

Also most people don't have dgpu(look at ultrabooks)

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Really? I was under the assumption that a pcie ssd took cpu pcie lanes, and by looking it up online I see no evidence to dispute my assumptions in fact quite the opposite.

As far as I know, it will use the lanes associated with the PCIe slot you install it in. That depends on the way the motherboard is wired up, as well as BIOS settings.

If PCIe SSDs had to be connected to CPU lanes, I don't think anyone would've cared about DMI 3.0 when Skylake was released. And yet they did:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Intel-Skylake-Z170-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Tested-PCIe-and-SATA-RAID

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

As far as I know, it will use the lanes associated with the PCIe slot you install it in. That depends on the way the motherboard is wired up, as well as BIOS settings.

If PCIe SSDs had to be connected to CPU lanes, I don't think anyone would've cared about DMI 3.0 when Skylake was released. And yet they did:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Intel-Skylake-Z170-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Tested-PCIe-and-SATA-RAID

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind (not that I use pcie ssds obviously)

You are afforded additional PCIE lanes on Intel CPU's from DMI. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Media_Interface

@Sakkura has an amazing thread stickied in the CPU subforum that explains this in greater detail: 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

56 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

We're not saying that at all we're saying pcie drives are still to expensive for this article to make a lick of sense

The point is NVMe SSD prices are predicted to come down. When NVMe only costs a little bit more than SATA, it will get a lot more attractive. And once they hit price parity, SATA will die.

The recently released Intel 600p was one of the first steps toward affordable NVMe. Samsung's upcoming 960 Evo will be another step. Next year's models should build on that.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The point is NVMe SSD prices are predicted to come down. When NVMe only costs a little bit more than SATA, it will get a lot more attractive. And once they hit price parity, SATA will die.

The recently released Intel 600p was one of the first steps toward affordable NVMe. Samsung's upcoming 960 Evo will be another step. Next year's models should build on that.

NVMe will sooner take over SATA SSD's than SATA completely, since there's still the capacity to price advantage on HDDs that use the SATA interface.

5 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

NVMe will sooner take over SATA SSD's than SATA completely, since there's still the capacity to price advantage on HDDs that use the SATA interface.

Also, SATA optical disk drives will live forever right? Right?!

18 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

You do bring up a good point, about other devices using SATA.  Likely SATA connections will simply greatly decrease quantity on motherboards once everyone goes PCIe only.

22 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

people still use those?

all I want is SSD prices to beat HDD. the extra speed with NVME is nice but I want size > speed with a SSD.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc