First Full 2.5G and Multi 5G + 10G uplink Router

fredey

As recently announced the IEEE finally finalized the 2.5G and 5G spec for ethernet and thusly the first complete products have come out 

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/managed/m4200.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

The Netgear M4200-10MG-Poe-Plus is a 8+2 port switch with all ports capable of 2.5G at least 2 of the eight 5G and the final 2 10G uplink ports 

M4200-10MG-PoE+_front.png

Marketed as a 802.11ac wave 2 deployment switch it is capable of supporting the speeds required to fully utilize the wireless standard.

Furthermore because of it's current price 1200$+ it is likely too expensive for anything else.

What do you guys think as previously mentioned in the IEEE thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/667790-ieee-formalizes-25-and-5gbps-ethernet-standard/

This tech would be awesome for home use do to the logical cost benefit over 10G companies like Asus and Asrock have put 10G on motherboards put with exorbitant prices 2.5G seems like a much nicer upgrade path.

What I would like to know is which cabling provides with speed at which length as to see how good legacy support is.

Just now, zMeul said:

"home use" at 1200$ !? ..  the fuk?! :|

Well for now they are this expensive, new tech and all, what I meant this would be better than 10G on motherboards in say 1 to 2 years

8 minutes ago, fredey said:

Well for now they are this expensive, new tech and all, what I meant this would be better than 10G on motherboards in say 1 to 2 years

not going to happen in 1-2y, like 802.11ac wave 2 didn't happened in the last one + year(s)

100-200$ for a home WiFi router, I can understand

couple of hundred $ for SOHO, I can understand

but, 1000$+ is small business territory ... for a switch

most people at home don't need more than 1gbps, and consider that the vast majority of the home contracts aren't even close to 1gbps

and ps, @fredey: that is a managed switch, not a router

Just now, zMeul said:

not going to happen in 1-2y, like 802.11ac wave 2 didn't happened in the last one + year(s)

100-200$ for a home WiFi router, I can understand

couple of hundred $ for SOHO, I can understand

but, 1000$+ is small business territory

Well that is true but I can hope it will be better. As far as I can tell this all comes down to the silicon manufactures if intel for example makes a single port 2.5G chip like there 1G chips at a reasonable price then it will be put into motherboards and then silicon for a say 8 port 2.5G router would need to be cheap enough for the whole thing to work

I was thinking of getting the S3300-28X is has 24 1Gbe, 2 10Gbe, 2 10Gb SFP+ it is priced less then any other copper 10Gb switch I can find. It seems to be a more consumer oriented switch.

My server has 2 10Gbe ports on it, and I plan on getting a 10Gb card for my machine.

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/smart/S3300-28X.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

For a consumer oriented switch and/or low priced switch?

Yah that might be the "first" but for the first switch to use it, Cisco and HP/Aruba beat you to it by about a year or so :)

The WS-C3850-24XU-L comes to mind and has been on the market since last year.

This is still nice to see though, since the only other comparable switch I know of at that price range has 2 multi-gigabit ports.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

i can tell some here will get that, for their complex home network setups.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Fiber infrastructure needs to start expanding way faster... my phone haves like 10 times faster internet speed than my home.

But yeah, nice thing with lovely price heh.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Im just happy to finally see routers coming out with a complete standard the hope being more products use it not just expensive switches and expensive ap's