Data Encryption vs Government Backdoor Your Thoughts/Opinion

Lets talk about hardware & software based data encryption, Since it's been a while since there has been a heavy debate over it, & we're kinda afar from the initial hype to see things a bit clearly , what do you feel about it at this point ?

Encryption+infotmation_banner_comp.jpg?f

Topics to discuss ( pick one & put your view on the comment or just put up a general comment )

• Access to any user encrypted data through the means of backdoor by the governing body upon request under nature of suspicion,  is it Good or Bad in your opinion?
  • Encrypted user data should be encrypted from all forms prying eyes government /hackers/3rdparty etc
  • Data Encryption should be illegal as it can & will be used for bad things
  • Data Encryption should be allowed to deter 3rd party access , but government should have a backdoor in place
  • Allow encryption , But metadata should be allowed for view for government to deter threats
  • Should be encrypted & Only allow data access with user consent along with court approval regardless of time taken & shouldn't be accessed otherwise if there's a break in that chain
  • User shouldn't have right to conceal data since it could be threatening to the community/state/ethical standards/Espionage/Trade secrets
  • Only Government registered employees should have the right to concrete level of hard encryption without any backdoor & shouldn't be made available to private use
  • Government should have the right to backdoor regardless of the ethical reasons because bigger picture is more important & safety should be a priority

im-bg-solutions-1700x425.png

Other Discussion points:

• Ethics of Government having a backdoor on hardware which can be used to access data depending on the nature of an event ( access after specific event has happened / a confirmed suspect data access)
  • General Backdoor Access to authority to preemptive investigation in-order to deter threats or general (anytime open access to covertly scan & determine threats before it becomes harmful to a community/state/country)
  • Should encryption & refusal to share confidential data to anyone be a 'right' for the wrong reasons?
  • individual privacy vs government safety assurance

You know how not to act, please discuss in a professional manner if possible,

PS:New channel superfun video is up on ytb check it out

Details separate people.

It's quite simple: any "back door" into an encryption system to allow government entry merely invites intrusion. Individual privacy trumps any assurance of government safety. Your right to privacy, your right to protection against searches and seizures is so sacred that, at least in the US, it's enshrined in the Constitution, and has been continuously upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States. So much so that the government cannot force you to submit to a blood test without first getting a warrant from the Court.

Since the government can't just arbitrarily enter your home, the same with your private information. It's as simple as that. After all, would you send your private information through the postal service written on a postcard that anyone can read? Electronic communication is no different. The envelope is all that's changed.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Those who trade freedom for security deserve neither.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

You mentioned "ethics" and "government" in the same sentence multiple times...not good not good.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well I don't think they should have a back door for 2 reasons, 1) it makes a security hole that any decent hacker will be able to find with enough effort, and 2) it's pointless since making an encryption algorithm is rather simple thus any back door is useless if the person being investigated knows how to code

Also I generally want to avoid helping the government abuse power whenever possible, so giving them the ability to break encryption on a whim seems ill advised, a skeleton key is too easy to abuse.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Doesn't matter if its for the government. A backdoor is a backdoor. If it exists, it will be used and abused by third parties. You put in a back door you compromise your security. This isnt even a discussion, if you want to add a vulnerability to your encryption, you might as well not use it at all.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Secure encryption and backdoor are not two words that belong together. If the encryption algorithm has a backdoor, then it isn't a secure algorithm and here's why.

1. Possible for the government or a contractor to accidentally leak the master key. Once that happens, it free reign among all hackers, scripters, and the likes.
  2. What happens if foreign government manages to hack it's way into the network? They could potentially steal the key that way. You may say that keeping it on an isolated network is secure but in reality it isn't. There are tools that let you cross air gaps into isolated LANs.
  3. There is the potential of individuals in the government to abuse the masterkey. There are many cases of Secret Service agents and members of other agencies using their position to spy on loved ones. That is a clear breach of protocol, ethics, and law. 

I understand the reasoning behind wanting a backdoor but encryption isn't like a physical lock where you can have restricted physical access. Anyone in theory can access the encrypted data and if they have the key as well, you lost your last line of defense. That encryption standard is now worthless and all research you put into it was in vain.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I'm with those that say secure encryption should not have a backdoor.

Also, I think, if it (anything)'s illegal for we the people, it should also be illegal for the government / law enforcement / etc.  If it's legal for the government / law enforcement / etc, it should be legal for we the people.

And I agree with @Railgun.

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2016 at 9:28 PM, Tech_Dreamer said:

PS:New channel superfun video is up on ytb check it out

I have tried to watch a couple vids from the channel. Something just does not jive with me. The newest one, trying to destroy a rc car, I find the guys trying too hard to "make content" I forced myself to watch a few minutes of it but it just seems so fake. Same with the pumpkin smashing one, I could only hack a minute of it, and that is only because of Linus' cute face, and was bedazzled by his bling bling on his ears.

It's not secure if it has a backdoor so no.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Two things will happen, new encryption method will arise and be locked down, backdoor to encryption will instantly be found and abused by everyone.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I believe there should be no backdoor, but there will be. Of course there will be. At this point, we can't realistically do anything to stop the government from destroying our privacy. But that's ok, I believe people will eventually get used to it, right or wrong, I think future generations will accept the lack of privacy and that will just be how life is. It's not ideal, but if everyone (or most people) is used to it, then they will still be happy. 

That's my 2 cents.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Considering how often the U.S government's own systems have been hacked over the past few years.  They, or any other country's government, shouldn't be requiring any sort of back door access.