Please Reply if you are an Engineer! Few questions

jewishdolphins

Okay, bare with me please. I have to write a short paragraph blog for college. Its supposed to be an interview with an engineer. I literally know no engineers at all and my professor refuses to give us any sources to use. As a result, if someone who is an engineer of any sort please just answer this: ( Of course, you can leave out anything you are not comfortable answering. But the more info, the better the grade.)

What's your name? Where do you work? Where did u graduate from? explain in detail what your position is at your job and what it involves doing. what are your daily tasks at your job? What have you learned being at your job? do you like your profession? did you have any other professions in mind when thinking about a career?

basically its a simple interview asking about the day in the life of an engineer. 

Thanks so much!

3 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

What's your name? Where do you work? Where did u graduate from? explain in detail what your position is at your job and what it involves doing. what are your daily tasks at your job? What have you learned being at your job? do you like your profession? did you have any other professions in mind when thinking about a career?

basically its a simple interview asking about the day in the life of an engineer. 

Name: Engineer

Work: Mann-Co

Graduated from: MIT

Hey, look, buddy. I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems. For instance, how am I gonna stop some big mean Mother Hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun. Like this heavy-caliber tripod-mounted little ol' number designed by me...built by me, and you best hope...not pointed at you.

Yes, I like my profession. It's not too heavy and I'm not much of a medic man. I did consider becoming a spy but it wasn't sophisticated enough for me.

I am quoting someone, I don't remember who but: "anyone can build a bridge but a engineer will do it with as little resources as possible and still meet requirements" 

also for jobs like an aerospace engineer there are a lot less jobs that there were about 30 years ago. No I am not that old from a family member who worked as a engineer 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

I am quoting someone, I don't remember who but: "anyone can build a bridge but a engineer will do it with as little resources as possible and still meet requirements" 

also for jobs like an aerospace engineer there are a lot less jobs that there were about 30 years ago. No I am not that old from a family member who worked as a engineer 

Or the eternal fight between civil and mechanical engineers, the civil engineer builds the bridge, the mechanical engineer designs a solution to blow it up.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Just now, it_dont_work said:

Or the eternal fight between civil and mechanical engineers, the civil engineer builds the bridge, the mechanical engineer designs a solution to blow it up.

lol so true.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

And then there's me over in the distances as an audio engineer, I move air around to entertain people...

I am not one but have planed to be for a along time

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

I am not one but have planed to be for a along time

Best advice I can give you is be the best, work for crap pay until you've enough to start your own business and broadcast/film is where the money is not music. Also systems construction for studios, because plugin a pci-e card into a $30,000 mac pro is apparently scary and difficult.

There's a reason I'm a cynical teacher now, I might not be the best to ask...

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Best advice I can give you is be the best, work for crap pay until you've enough to start your own business and broadcast/film is where the money is not music. Also systems construction for studios, because plugin a pci-e card into a $30,000 mac pro is apparently scary and difficult.

There's a reason I'm a cynical teacher now, I might not be the best to ask...

I planed on being air frame design engineer 

Just now, GDRRiley said:

I planed on being air frame design engineer 

software engineer is where its at

10 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

software engineer is where its at

not unless you work for yourself

otherwise its mass layoffs and low pay for you

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

why would i be?

14 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

why would i be?

Intel, Microsoft have layed off a lot in the last few years

Just now, GDRRiley said:

Intel, Microsoft have layed off a lot in the last few years

What about this? http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm

this link shows that the job outlook is gonna skyrocket from now till 2024 for software engineers.

Also, i dont see too much to worry about this since most people who become software engineers end up working as a computer engineer, networks engineer, or something that's closely related to their major, but not exactly. The computer realm seems to have a lot of flexibility when it comes to this sort of stuff since it all relates to each other (comp science, IT,  etc). I mean, I could be completely wrong for all I know but this is what I understand from this. 

- What kind of engineer are you looking for?

- Are you looking for a person with an engineering degree (engineer in training, as it is called), or an official engineers (did the provincial or state or country certification, and pay engineer fees to be officially called: Engineer (which is required in some engineering fields))

Just now, GoodBytes said:

- What kind of engineer are you looking for?

- Are you looking for a person with an engineering degree (engineer in training, as it is called), or an official engineers (did the provincial or state or country certification, and pay engineer fees to be officially called: Engineer (which is required in some engineering fields))

any engineering. and the requirements do not matter as long as he/she has a bachelors in engineering and is currently employed in some sort of job that is somewhat related to their engineering major. very flexible assignment.

I'm a mechanical engineer.

Name: Real_Phillbert

Employer: A major agricultural equipment manufacturer

Graduate of: North Dakota State University (Go Bison!!) with a BSME

Position: My title is Product Engineer, I control one of our air seeding equipment lines. Basically I am responsible for the continuing improvement of the product, updates, improvements, fixes, new features etc. However our engineering groups are relatively small so I spend ~25% of my time working with a few other engineers to design new product lines, in that respect I primarily do design and optimization of the air conveying systems.

What have I learned: In short, a lot. One of the big improvements I've been able to make is my familiarization with CANBUS and ISOBUS systems. I've never been much of an electrical guy so this was a bit out of my comfort zone.  

Do I like my profession: Yes, very much. I've always enjoyed problem solving ever since I was young, and that's pretty much the majority of my position now. 

Other Professions: To be honest, I really didn't consider any career options outside of the engineering field. I did however briefly consider electrical engineering but after one familiarization class in college I decided that wasn't for me. 

If you have other questions feel free to PM me :)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

14 hours ago, jewishdolphins said:

any engineering. and the requirements do not matter as long as he/she has a bachelors in engineering and is currently employed in some sort of job that is somewhat related to their engineering major. very flexible assignment.

If you want a good grade, try to compare that position of engineer to the position engineers have in other parts of the world. In France for instance, an engineer is one because of his diploma. It's like a title, there is screening for which schools can deliver an engineering diploma. The main difference though it's the generality of the formation and the fact it is a 5 year diploma. The reason it's like that is because it continued the tradition of engineer having high social positions and importance in the army. In that trend we try to have people who have a very general background (hence the 5 years), so that they can have a global vision of what they're working on.

That's a different vision I know, just telling you this story if you want to broaden your paper with how it is elsewhere!

15 hours ago, thekeemo said:

084.png

Compared to other professions, software engineering is really well-paid and great for careers.

The average salary in the UK is £27,500 a year and the average graduate salary for computer science is £28k. It really isn't that bad mate.

What's your title? Network Consulting Engineer

Where do you work? Cisco

Where did u graduate from? Wake Tech Community College

Explain in detail what your position is at your job and what it involves doing. what are your daily tasks at your job? My tasks involve the testing and validation of solutions and large system implementation for customers. Customers come to us saying "we want to deploy new solution xyz" and we take their requirements, create a JTPoR (Joint Technical Plan of Record), which is a high level overview of the testing and what it will involve, then that evolves into a DTP (Detailed Test Plan) which breaks out the high level overview into a low level view of everything that will be tested in detail. From there I will go through over the next 6 to 12 weeks and test everything in that DTP and document the results, filing bugs, documenting odd behavior, and anything else I observe during the course of testing. Finally we take the results and convert that into an EoTR (End of Test Report) which is delivered to the customer and outlines everything we found overall, and anything major that stood out which could be a show stopper for the customer.

What have you learned being at your job? I've learned a great deal of skills and experience. I've had my hands on everything from core routing and switching knowledge to 4G testing and validation, data center design and implementation, test methodology, virtualization, customer presentation skills, test tools, and more.

Do you like your profession? I love it, there are times I'll get bored on the weekends and start doing some work just to pass the time and have some fun...

Did you have any other professions in mind when thinking about a career? I originally wanted to be a game developer, and then a business major, before finally finding networking and once I found that I've been hooked ever since.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Mug said:

Compared to other professions, software engineering is really well-paid and great for careers.

The average salary in the UK is £27,500 a year and the average graduate salary for computer science is £28k. It really isn't that bad mate.

Look outside the engineering field to doctors and lawyers and it kind of makes you go "meep"

I didn't say it was a decent pay. Just not a great pay when compared to some other fields.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I would highly advice you to find an engineer in real life. While the internet is a great resource, you can't be certain of the information you're given.

Everyone could pretty much claim to be an engineer if they wanted to. 

I could ask if my wife would intersted in answering, but I highly doubt she will.

10 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Look outside the engineering field to doctors and lawyers and it kind of makes you go "meep"

I didn't say it was a decent pay. Just not a great pay when compared to some other fields.

Depends on what you get to work with after you graduate.

Neither a medical or a law degree will guarantee you a good paycheck. 

With a medical degree you can easily end up part timing in a hospital for little pay.

And there's a long way to Manhatten if you end up working as a public defender.

While the same can certainly be true of engineers, their field of work is usually more specialized and therefor higher paying jobs are more common. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes