Do switches actually need a fan?

Oberon.Smite
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

100% that is a 2U switch. Hard part will be finding a fan both small enough to go in it that is also quiet, since it will be a 40mm or 60mm fan.

Indeed, I'd be surprised if it was 80mm or larger. Noctua makes a really nice 40mm fan that is pretty thin. I replaced the PSU fan for my SE3016 SAS Expander with one (Goddamn jet engine, before the replacement).

I have a 1U switch (Superstack II Switch 1000) that I'm using in my room on a bookshelf that is connected to my router and soon-to-be NAS. The switch is pretty loud and I checked the exhaust fan, and it seems like the air coming out isn't even hot. The switch is basically doing no work atm and I was wondering if I could just open it up and take out the fan or replace it with a more quiet one. Pics: http://imgur.com/a/cCms8

2 minutes ago, SCypher said:

I have a 1U switch (Superstack II Switch 1000) that I'm using in my room on a bookshelf that is connected to my router and soon-to-be NAS. The switch is pretty loud and I checked the exhaust fan, and it seems like the air coming out isn't even hot. The switch is basically doing no work atm and I was wondering if I could just open it up and take out the fan or replace it with a more quiet one. Pics: http://imgur.com/a/cCms8

Replace the fan with a Noctua or something.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

What size is the fan? I'd suggest Noctua, they make some nice and quiet 40,80,92,120,140,150 mm fans, also Be Quiet! Would be good if you're specifically wanting super quietness.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

If its doing nothing then no passive will be fine, but as soon as you make it do something the stuff inside will draw more power =/= heat.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Try using a program to set a fan curve.  I don't know any programs off of the top of my head, but your fan should be a PWM fan.

Set it to different speeds at each temperature with the speed increasing as the temp does.

3 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

What size is the fan? I'd suggest Noctua, they make some nice and quiet 40,80,92,120,140,150 mm fans, also Be Quiet! Would be good if you're specifically wanting super quietness.

It'll be 40mm or something like that, since it's 1U.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

2 minutes ago, Dayen said:

Try using a program to set a fan curve.  I don't know any programs off of the top of my head, but your fan should be a PWM fan.

Set it to different speeds at each temperature with the speed increasing as the temp does.

It's not a PC. It's a piece of networking hardware. It doesn't have anything of the sort. Read the post and do your reseach.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Dayen said:

You cant exactly do that on a switch? :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

It'll be 40mm or something like that, since it's 1U.

Yeah, then Noctua is good

http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a4x10-flx

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

4 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

I don't know exactly but just from looking at it I think it's a 80mm fan so I guess I'm buying one now.

1 minute ago, Altecice said:

You cant exactly do that on a switch? :P

What about manageable switches?

1 minute ago, Trav_X said:

Yeah, then Noctua is good

http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a4x10-flx

That's what I recommended. It's just a shame the don't do 40mm reduxes. The Redux fans are just as quiet, but cheaper and not in ugly brown and cream.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, SCypher said:

Are you sure that's a 1U switch? It sure looks like a 2U switch. 1U = 1.75" (inches)

Either way, you'll want to take off the Case, and measure the fan exactly. You definitely don't want to just eyeball it and guess, as you could end up with the wrong fan.

Furthermore, make sure to closely examine the connector used by the fan. You may be required to do some wire splicing/soldering, if it's using a special connector.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

25 minutes ago, SCypher said:

I don't know exactly but just from looking at it I think it's a 80mm fan so I guess I'm buying one now.

Yeah Noctua and Be Quiet! both have great 80mm fans

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

1 hour ago, SCypher said:

What about manageable switches?

By manageable its meant that the flow of data can be managed via some form of GUI/CLI. Un-managed means they just forward frames and you cant control or tune how its done its a "dumb switch".

18 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Are you sure that's a 1U switch? It sure looks like a 2U switch. 1U = 1.75" (inches)

Either way, you'll want to take off the Case, and measure the fan exactly. You definitely don't want to just eyeball it and guess, as you could end up with the wrong fan.

Furthermore, make sure to closely examine the connector used by the fan. You may be required to do some wire splicing/soldering, if it's using a special connector.

100% that is a 2U switch. Hard part will be finding a fan both small enough to go in it that is also quiet, since it will be a 40mm or 60mm fan.

Indeed, I'd be surprised if it was 80mm or larger. Noctua makes a really nice 40mm fan that is pretty thin. I replaced the PSU fan for my SE3016 SAS Expander with one (Goddamn jet engine, before the replacement).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Nice, didn't really expect Noctua etc to make the smaller size fans since for most people they will want 80/120/140. Good to know I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Just now, leadeater said:

Nice, didn't really expect Noctua etc to make the smaller size fans since for most people they will want 80/120/140. Good to know I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Yeah the funny thing is when I ordered, Noctua was one of the only options available :P At least on the NCIX website at the time.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah the funny thing is when I ordered, Noctua was one of the only options available :P At least on the NCIX website at the time.

Thanks!