Car travel

laminutederire

Hi guys,

I'm moving my pc soon for a 4hours car ride. I was wondering what are the recommendations to ensure the pc won't break during the ride!

So far I thought of leaving it assembled, but putting it in the case box to benefit from its protection. Does that sound safe enough?

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Hi guys,

I'm moving my pc soon for a 4hours car ride. I was wondering what are the recommendations to ensure the pc won't break during the ride!

So far I thought of leaving it assembled, but putting it in the case box to benefit from its protection. Does that sound safe enough?

Maybe put foam/bubble wrap around it in the box.

I would lay it on it's side so the mobo is horizontal so the GPU does bounce up and down and wobble as much as it would if the pc was vertical.  But yeah some of those boxes are designed to be transported with fully built systems in them but still don't go jumping or rolling the car lol

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

I moved mine twice now. I usually take out the GPU and the HDD to avoid scratching and that is it.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

1 hour ago, Gaged said:

Maybe put foam/bubble wrap around it in the box.

I still have the foam from the case box :)

1 hour ago, Miguel Batista said:

Scratching? 

1 hour ago, Gamessys said:

Mobo already is horizontal in the case, it's a mini-ITX system.

1 hour ago, Quibiss said:

So GPU out especially if it's close to many things since it's a mini itx in a small case with everything compressed in 20L?

Thanks guys for your help!

Could there be issues with the cpu cooler since it's damn heavy?

Just put it in a box (if you still keep your case's box then it's good) with some protection foam and you will be fine.

Do what you love, love what you do :)

#AnimeFan #ComputerGeek #HaveFun

CPU- I7 5820k

Motherboard- Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 

Ram- 4x4GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 Mhz 

VGA- EVGA GTX 1070 S.C 

SSD- Adata SP550 240GB 

HDD- Seagate 2TB 

PSU- EVGA 650w GS 80+ gold 

Case- Fractal Design Define S

Monitor- Asus PB278 2k

Laptop- MSI GS70 Stealth /w GTX 970m, i7 4720HQ, 16GB ram

Keyboard- Custom keyboard with GH60 board + Plum nano 75s 

Mouse- Mionix Castor + Zowie EC1-A 

Headphone- Onkyo H500m + Logitech G35
DAC/AMP- Fiio E10k

Just now, Jimmy Ha said:

Just put it in a box (if you still keep your case's box then it's good) with some protection foam and you will be fine.

Protection inside or outside the case?

Just now, laminutederire said:

Protection inside or outside the case?

Inside, but if you can wrap it outside then do it, it will add some extra protection but I think the inside is much more important

Do what you love, love what you do :)

#AnimeFan #ComputerGeek #HaveFun

CPU- I7 5820k

Motherboard- Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 

Ram- 4x4GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 Mhz 

VGA- EVGA GTX 1070 S.C 

SSD- Adata SP550 240GB 

HDD- Seagate 2TB 

PSU- EVGA 650w GS 80+ gold 

Case- Fractal Design Define S

Monitor- Asus PB278 2k

Laptop- MSI GS70 Stealth /w GTX 970m, i7 4720HQ, 16GB ram

Keyboard- Custom keyboard with GH60 board + Plum nano 75s 

Mouse- Mionix Castor + Zowie EC1-A 

Headphone- Onkyo H500m + Logitech G35
DAC/AMP- Fiio E10k

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Ha said:

Inside, but if you can wrap it outside then do it, it will add some extra protection but I think the inside is much more important

I'll have to find antistatic foam then!

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

I'll have to find antistatic foam then!

Thanks.

I don't think it's entirely necessary to do that, but if you want maximum protection, ESD foam is the better way to go.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I don't think it's entirely necessary to do that, but if you want maximum protection, ESD foam is the better way to go.

I probably won't,  no vendor can provide me with some before I leave in 3 days

I moved it a bunch of times without any special protection, always just put it behind the front seats, not a single issue whatsoever. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

If the motherboard is mounted horizontal and not vertical like it usually is you don't have to worry so much about the gpu.

You can always put the case in its original box if you still have that.

Also make sure the case/box is secure, you don't want it to move around all over the place. 

I always put a seatbelt around my case, call me stupid but it helped multiple times keeping it in place during a tight corner or hard braking.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

19 hours ago, samcool55 said:

If the motherboard is mounted horizontal and not vertical like it usually is you don't have to worry so much about the gpu.

You can always put the case in its original box if you still have that.

Also make sure the case/box is secure, you don't want it to move around all over the place. 

I always put a seatbelt around my case, call me stupid but it helped multiple times keeping it in place during a tight corner or hard braking.

It will be between suitcases, and bags and everything

19 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I moved it a bunch of times without any special protection, always just put it behind the front seats, not a single issue whatsoever. 

Reassuring :)

Thank you all for your help, I think I have everything covered now!

22 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Same Usually lay it in the seat never had a problem best bet take anything that could move a lot like the GPU and put it back into its box. Its not like the computers dell sends you or bestbuy sells have any special things done either 

48 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Same Usually lay it in the seat never had a problem best bet take anything that could move a lot like the GPU and put it back into its box. Its not like the computers dell sends you or bestbuy sells have any special things done either 

Yeah but I haven't built dell builds :P

Buckle it into your front seat, or wedge it in the floor area behind your front seats.  I have done this countless times and never had an issue. 

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

41 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Yeah but I haven't built dell builds :P

My point was that If a dell can be thrown around from tractor trailer  to local trucks and such and best buys being thrown around in a tractor trailer to the stores then driven home. I really don't personally think any crazy caution is needed Besides some obvious Small stuff. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:24 AM, Bouzoo said:

That's all I have ever done as well

All I've ever done was remove the GPU and put that in it's original box, then I buckle down the computer itself so it doesn't slide around and shit.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Take the GPU out and the CPU Heatsink if its a large air cooler, dont want to be putting stress on a small surface area of the mobo dude

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350