QLC SSDs Likely Headed To The Desktop, Toshiba Debuts 100TB Monster

It's me!

Well, TLC has made inroads into the desktop market, and its possible that QLC SSDs aren't far behind, a bunch of SSD controller manufacturers are already making controllers for the client market, and Toshiba has QLC coming out. 

Facebook asked for denser and cheaper 100TB QLC NAND SSDs during its keynote address at the Flash Memory Summit. Coincidentally, an hour later, Toshiba laid out its ambitious plans to develop 100TB QLC SSDs. Toshiba plans to pioneer the use of QLC (Quad-Level Cell) technology with a new variant of its 64-layer BiCS3 NAND, but the company will also employ its TSV (Through-Silicon Via) technology to boost its die stacking capability, which effectively doubles capacity per package.

Of course, the real question for we enthusiasts is if we can expect to see massive QLC-powered SSDs in our PCs. Let's take a closer look at the tech, then work out the math to see if QLC SSDs are possible for normal users (hint: they are).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/qlc-nand-ssd-toshiba-facebook,32451.html

300.jpg

For the low low price of $15,000! O.o

(not verified, just being sarcastic)

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Didn't someone already post this announcement?  Around the same time as the 60TB SSD was announced wasn't it?

10 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

Didn't someone already post this announcement?  Around the same time as the 60TB SSD was announced wasn't it?

i belive that was seagate opening the gates

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Why would they compare a QLC to an HDD to begin with? Also, I can't wait until Linus upgrades all the servers with these things and ends up breaking half of them in the process.

44 minutes ago, Prysin said:

i wonder what the over-provisioning on these will be....

100 "TB" (HDD/SSD) -> ~91 TiB (windows; mpart+op) -> (assuming tlc's op * 150% ->) ~78 TiB, still not bad I guess...

1 hour ago, Undertow_ said:

Why would they compare a QLC to an HDD to begin with? Also, I can't wait until Linus upgrades all the servers with these things and ends up breaking half of them in the process.

i assume is because they are aiming these type of nand to compete straight against hard drives last advantage of cost per gigabyte, that 100TB SSD its over 10 times larger that the hard drive in the chart, if they sell it for something like 6 or 7 times higher that the price of the hard drive it would be cheaper that the hard drive when it comes to pricing per gigabyte.

Also even if that SSD isn't competitive in price per gigabyte, the density would be insane, that SSD could replace 10 or 11 drives alone.

Besides when it comes to speed the IOPS look terrible vs even budget consumer SSD so this ain't going to win medals on raw speed.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

what doesnt ssds get slower as you add more layers? i did not expect QLC ssds to be 1000MB/s but the iops are pretty meh

Well that sure is quite something for data centers. Also great for HDD replacement with aggressive price/GB though.
Seagate released 10TB HDD now just imagine this QLC SSD in 10TB capacity, with same price/GB that's just awesome.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, No Nrg said:

For the low low price of $15,000! O.o

(not verified, just being sarcastic)

If it actually were to be that price that'd still be about $0.15 per GB so not that bad.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

40 minutes ago, Centurius said:

If it actually were to be that price that'd still be about $0.15 per GB so not that bad.

touché

that is true, that is true

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

4 hours ago, ChineseChef said:

I did, back two weeks ago (it was even featured on WAN(!))

I'm not sure if it counts as a repost though

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Endurance on those qlc SSd's seem VERY poor though

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

what doesnt ssds get slower as you add more layers? i did not expect QLC ssds to be 1000MB/s but the iops are pretty meh

The reason why it's so fast is because there are many nand chips in the 100TB model which the SSD controller can access all at once, as the capacity goes down, so does the speed.
For example:  3Eq1wmA.jpg

Notice how the speeds are very good at high capacities, but are not so great at low capacities? Well the same thing applies to QLC.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:49 PM, Coaxialgamer said:

Endurance on those qlc SSd's seem VERY poor though

Their purpose is for write once/read many type of data.  So something like large scale data cache, think video streaming, image hosting, Netflix/facebook/imgur.