Tesla Release 100kWh Option for Model S and X

oliverguy

Source: http://uk.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-announces-p100d-battery-for-tesla-model-x-and-model-s-2016-8?r=US&IR=T

Source: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/new-tesla-model-s-now-quickest-production-car-world

There is now a 100kWh battery for the Model s and x.

It's a $20,000USD upgrade for current owners and anyone who has a P90D on order can get it for $10,000USD. This price difference is because they have to pay to recycle the old ones.

This will give the Model S a range of 315 miles and the X a range of 289 miles. This makes the Model S the longest range EV and the only one over 300 miles and the model X the on SUV EV. The ranges are on the EPA cycle.

With this new battery comes a speed upgrade, the Model S P100D will do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, making it the third quickest accelerating production car on the planet, right behind the LaFerrari and Porsche 918 who are at 2nd and 1st respectively. The Model X will now do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.

As Tesla points out the 918 and LaFerrari are both limited run - 918 and 499 units respectively - so are not in the slightest bit comparable to the Model S.

4 minutes ago, oliverguy said:

It's a $20,000USD upgrade

Ouch! That's a big hit to the wallet, even for a Tesla buyer.

Also, might want to reconsider your wording:

5 minutes ago, oliverguy said:

making it the third fastest production car on the planet

It's not the "third fastest production car," it's the "third fastest accelerating production car." "Third fastest production car" implies that it's top speed is third highest of any car, when it isn't.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

5 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Ouch! That's a big hit to the wallet, even for a Tesla buyer.

Also, might want to reconsider your wording:

It's not the "third fastest production car," it's the "third fastest accelerating production car." "Third fastest production car" implies that it's top speed is third highest of any car, when it isn't.

Yeah, 20k a lot for what's really a marginal increase in range, dont think very many will be able to justify the extra cost for only a few extra miles, most journeys are under a 100 anyway so it probably isnt even relevant for a lot of people.

Also I fixed my wording error thanks. :)

9 minutes ago, oliverguy said:

Yeah, 20k a lot for what's really a marginal increase in range, dont think very many will be able to justify the extra cost for only a few extra miles, most journeys are under a 100 anyway so it probably isnt even relevant for a lot of people.

Also I fixed my wording error thanks. :)

I mean if you are coming from a first gen model s with a 65kwh battery, it could be almost a 50% increase in range. Pretty nice to me. And it's not like tesla are cheap in the first place.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I mean if you are coming from a first gen model s with a 65kwh battery, it could be almost a 50% increase in range. Pretty nice to me. And it's not like tesla are cheap in the first place.

I guess so, I wasn't really thinking about it like that. But you've got to consider that is this a 20k lump sum, this isn't financed in any way (or at least to my knowledge) I doubt very many Model S 60 owners (a 50kUSD car used) have 20k to drop all in one go on a battery.

4 minutes ago, oliverguy said:

I dont recall anything official but a google search turned up a Forbes article...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/04/22/the-carbon-footprint-of-tesla-manufacturing/#39163e3e14d5 

They don't say anything in that specifically, but they do quote a very reliable report.

http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/attach/2015/11/Cleaner-Cars-from-Cradle-to-Grave-full-report.pdf

It summarises that a large BEV, which the Tesla falls under, will on average produce less GG emissions despite increased manufacturing carbon cost. It estimates that on a 'dirty' power grid, the manufacturing costs will be offset within 39,000 miles. On a renewable power grid, the manufacturing costs will be offset within 16,000 miles. Those are very reasonable figures. Bear in mind that on average a BEV will drive 135,000 miles for the total lifetime of the vehicle, and the environmental friendliness of the vehicle becomes more apparent. Tesla should use that in its marketing.

This is the car of the future. Now only if all these legislators stop receiving money from carmakers, petroleum companies and such and start a high-speed metro link between cities, districts and actually compete with the flying industry then perhaps California wouldn't drought itself to death in 20 years.

21 minutes ago, oliverguy said:

I guess so, I wasn't really thinking about it like that. But you've got to consider that is this a 20k lump sum, this isn't financed in any way (or at least to my knowledge) I doubt very many Model S 60 owners (a 50kUSD car used) have 20k to drop all in one go on a battery.

No, but it may be worth it for some of the users.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, oliverguy said:

With this new battery comes a speed upgrade, the Model S P100D will do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, making it the third fastest production car on the planet, right behind the LaFerrari and Porsche 918 who are at 2nd and 1st respectively. The Model X will now do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.

As Tesla points out the 918 and LaFerrari are both limited run - 918 and 499 respectively - so are not in the slightest bit comparable to the Model S.

Ariel Atom 3.5 can do 0-60 in 2.6  TMI automotive makes 100 a year for USA only. (don't know how many is made in the UK facility)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Can we just have a 100kWh option without the ridiculous hyperdrive strapped in the rear? I just wanna go as far as possible. Even if it takes me more-than-hypercar seconds to get to 100 km/h. The P90D has a reduced range over the normal 90D, don't see why we can't have a normal 100D. Way less expensive as well, too.

Ye ole' train

sorry for the double post not sure why it happened. mod please remove

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

3 hours ago, oliverguy said:

Source: http://uk.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-announces-p100d-battery-for-tesla-model-x-and-model-s-2016-8?r=US&IR=T

Source: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/new-tesla-model-s-now-quickest-production-car-world

There is now a 100kWh battery for the Model s and x.

It's a $20,000USD upgrade for current owners and anyone who has a P90D on order can get it for $10,000USD. This price difference is because they have to pay to recycle the old ones.

This will give the Model S a range of 315 miles and the X a range of 289 miles. This makes the Model S the longest range EV and the only one over 300 miles and the model X the on SUV EV. The ranges are on the EPA cycle.

With this new battery comes a speed upgrade, the Model S P100D will do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, making it the third quickest accelerating production car on the planet, right behind the LaFerrari and Porsche 918 who are at 2nd and 1st respectively. The Model X will now do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.

As Tesla points out the 918 and LaFerrari are both limited run - 918 and 499 units respectively - so are not in the slightest bit comparable to the Model S.

Quickest current production car. Tesla actually stated that those cars are no longer in production not that they are both limited run. They have made enough units to be considered a production car. (you need more than 35 to be considered a production car)

@The Benjamins the ariel atom 3.5 does it in 2.7-3.0 seconds. you are thinking of the atom 500. But i do not believe enough were made to classify it as a production car. Also this is claimed never actually tested for some reason.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Screw turning the old one in.. keep it and build a DIY powerwall/ DIY UPS with it.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

It's good to see Tesla constantly improving their battery tech... soon it will be with the Model 3... soon... 

On August 23, 2016 at 3:04 PM, Curufinwe_wins said:

On August 23, 2016 at 3:08 PM, oliverguy said:

You can only upgrade to a 100kwh battery pack if you already have a P90D ludicrous. P90DL is the only car that can be upgraded to a P100DL. Ps. there is no 65kwh pack on the Model S, the first gen Model S was either 40kwh (software locked 60) a 60kwh or an 85kwh battery pack after which they replaced the 60 with the 70, and then a few months later, replaced the 70 with the 75kwh and replaced the 85 with the 90kwh battery pack

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

On August 23, 2016 at 4:27 PM, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Can we just have a 100kWh option without the ridiculous hyperdrive strapped in the rear? I just wanna go as far as possible. Even if it takes me more-than-hypercar seconds to get to 100 km/h. The P90D has a reduced range over the normal 90D, don't see why we can't have a normal 100D. Way less expensive as well, too.

100D is coming later. Elon said they're only focusing on the performance versions of the 100kwh packs right now 

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX