New to mechanical keyboards.

Jack Dvorak

GWfV3.gif

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/switch_guides

I also recommend looking up videos to hear the different switches, and best of all, go to a local NCIX or something to try the different switches yourself. 

I personally use Cherry MX brown and Cherry MX clear, which are tactile (have a bump) switches.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

well the picture up there explained it, my faves are browns seeing as they are the only ones i have tried this far that havent been Razors poop switches, browns are REALLY nice IMO, they make sounds but mostly because i botom out my keys most of the time but they feel like a dream, tho i would like to try bucking spring switches because they seem cool lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Also you can get stuff like greens (my favorite, basically a harder to press blue) and greys (basically a harder to press red), as well as various other keyswitches that are slightly different. Though these types of switches are a lot less common.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

So what are Kailh switches? I see them on PCPP and I don't understand them

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

25 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well the picture up there explained it, my faves are browns seeing as they are the only ones i have tried this far that havent been Razors poop switches, browns are REALLY nice IMO, they make sounds but mostly because i botom out my keys most of the time but they feel like a dream, tho i would like to try bucking spring switches because they seem cool lol

Razer green switches are more tactile than the browns. The Razer orange switches are very close to brown switches. If you are talking poopy switches that would be the mx silent switches on the strafe rgb.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, RyGuy99 said:

Razer green switches are more tactile than the browns. The Razer orange switches are very close to brown switches. If you are talking poopy switches that would be the mx silent switches on the strafe rgb.

razer switches feel like shit to type on IMO, they also feel flimsy and loose from what i have tried, they are basically poop, like most stuff they make

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

razer switches feel like shit to type on IMO, they also feel flimsy and loose from what i have tried, they are basically poop, like most stuff they make

Razer switches feel great for me. Much better than the corsair mx silents IMO. Those were complete SHIT. 100x worse than membrane. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Just now, RyGuy99 said:

Razer switches feel great for me. Much better than the corsair mx silents IMO. Those were complete SHIT. 100x worse than membrane. 

nothing is worse then membrane IMO, even Khali and razer switches are slightly above them(i have tried Khali browns, not too bad but still pretty bad) and Razer keyboards are way to expensive for what they are IMO, the switches are no good and all they have on those keyboards is crazy RGB basically and people buy them because Razer, never tried MX clears but i have only heard great things from them so i dont know if your fingers have a strange way to feel switches or something but sure if it works with you lol

Builds:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

nothing is worse then membrane IMO, even Khali and razer switches are slightly above them(i have tried Khali browns, not too bad but still pretty bad) and Razer keyboards are way to expensive for what they are IMO, the switches are no good and all they have on those keyboards is crazy RGB basically and people buy them because Razer, never tried MX clears but i have only heard great things from them so i dont know if your fingers have a strange way to feel switches or something but sure if it works with you lol

Oh trust me the mx silents are FAR worse than membranes. Heck membranes are actually getting very good at tactile feedback. I have been using a microsoft script keyboard and Logitech wireless keyboard that were WAY better than those mx SILENT (not clears) switches. The mx silents were like I was pressing down into a sponge and they had barely any travel distance before bottoming out. 

IMO any mechanical keyboard isn't worth the price especially Corsair's rgb skews. I'm using a G710+ I got for $70 and even that seems a bit high. They aren't a huge improvement over what I was using. I think at MAX mechanical keyboards should be $80-95. Also idk why you think razer switches are crap nor why people buy things from Razer "because they are Razer." That applies to corsair, Logitech and any other company so that logic is invalid and I think you didn't test out the razer switches right lol. 

Just now, RyGuy99 said:

Oh trust me the mx silents are FAR worse than membranes. Heck membranes are actually getting very good at tactile feedback. I have been using a microsoft script keyboard and Logitech wireless keyboard that were WAY better than those mx SILENT (not clears) switches. The mx silents were like I was pressing down into a sponge and they had barely any travel distance before bottoming out. 

IMO any mechanical keyboard isn't worth the price especially Corsair's rgb skews. I'm using a G710+ I got for $70 and even that seems a bit high. They aren't a huge improvement over what I was using. I think at MAX mechanical keyboards should be $80-95. Also idk why you think razer switches are crap nor why people buy things from Razer "because they are Razer." That applies to corsair, Logitech and any other company so that logic is invalid lol. 

aaaahh silents ehh? never heard of them so i cant say also mechanical keyboards are only worth it used and i have yet too see anyone sell there Razer keyboard and "because Razer" thing whilst yes it does apply to other companies(its called beeing a fanboy) there are also those that look at what the product offers and decides what to buy, but for most Razer products there is usiually a similarly or lower priced alternative that is possiably better but this is the exact same thing as with Apple or Beats, its a brand that has status for some inexplicable reason and they know they will sell if they make something so they mark it up more then what its worth

Builds:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

aaaahh silents ehh? never heard of them so i cant say also mechanical keyboards are only worth it used and i have yet too see anyone sell there Razer keyboard and "because Razer" thing whilst yes it does apply to other companies(its called beeing a fanboy) there are also those that look at what the product offers and decides what to buy, but for most Razer products there is usiually a similarly or lower priced alternative that is possiably better but this is the exact same thing as with Apple or Beats, its a brand that has status for some inexplicable reason and they know they will sell if they make something so they mark it up more then what its worth

Yep just look at Corsair.

Just now, RyGuy99 said:

Yep just look at Corsair.

cant acctiually say much about that exept i would rather have something from them then Razer because of personal preferance basicaly

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

cant acctiually say much about that exept i would rather have something from them then Razer because of personal preferance basicaly

Ah well Razer suits me fine I just haven't seen anything that checks all of my boxes of what I want. 

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Ah well Razer suits me fine I just haven't seen anything that checks all of my boxes of what I want. 

EDIT: I will never understand the Razer hate. They build very nice products and overprice them just as much as other companies. 

I want a mechanical keyboard so bad. I got to use one the other day, after a decade and a half of using nothing but membrane keyboards, and all those good vibes came back. Still trying to decide between Cherry MX blue and red switches, but the ridiculous symphony that comes from the blues is what I think I'm after. I did also check out a Thermaltake with the Kailh (sp) switches, and it seemed fine to me, but there is a significant price difference compared to the Cherry keyboards, so I'm not sure about the quality in the long run.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a 104 key Cherry MX blue keyboard that isn't too pricey?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

I want a mechanical keyboard so bad. I got to use one the other day, after a decade and a half of using nothing but membrane keyboards, and all those good vibes came back. Still trying to decide between Cherry MX blue and red switches, but the ridiculous symphony that comes from the blues is what I think I'm after. I did also check out a Thermaltake with the Kailh (sp) switches, and it seemed fine to me, but there is a significant price difference compared to the Cherry keyboards.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a 104 key Cherry MX blue keyboard that isn't too pricey?

Take a look at the Ducky, Filco, CM etc...

The Ducky One is a good keyboard and comes with Cherry MX Reds, Browns, Blues etc.., they have them in fullsize aswell as TKL sizes and with or without backlighting. :)

http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/page-en/ducky-one/