RX 480 8GB or 4GB?

Clanscorpia

So in Canada the 8GB RX 480 Nitro+ is $75 more than the 4GB version, at 399, which puts it at the same price as a 1060. I am only playing on 1080p and plan to upgrade in 3 years so is the $75 more needed? Im not a huge modder either, and only play games and do light CAD and programming. Thanks!

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

So in Canada the 8GB RX 480 Nitro+ is $75 more than the 4GB version, at 399, which puts it at the same price as a 1060. I am only playing on 1080p and plan to upgrade in 3 years so is the $75 more needed? Im not a huge modder either, and only play games and do light CAD and programming. Thanks!

Get 1060 if you can afford it

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Get 1060 if you can afford it

I'd rather have better DX12 support and AIB RX 480s have been shown to outperform the 1060 and the 1060s are all 399+

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I'd rather have better DX12 support and AIB RX 480s have been shown to outperform the 1060 and the 1060s are all 399+

You said they are same price. I hope you won't regret your buy when you experience AMD driverinos.

2 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

You said they are same price. I hope you won't regret your buy when you experience AMD driverinos.

I maent the same as the 8GB, I love AMD drivers, I have an AMD APU in my laptop and Crimson it awesome. Plus AMD drivers are very nice now

Spoiler

AXIOM

Hi, 

For 1080p gaming RX 480 4GB would be sufficient. Practically the 4GB version is for modern games with all details up, I am using GTX 770 2GB for the last 3 years..sometimes i feel 4GB would be better. If I buy any card today then, i will go for 6GB or 8GB for 1080p or 1440p for the next 3 years or may be 5 years. Hence go for 8GB version. 

Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 Ghz || ASUS GRYPHON Z97 MOBO || G.Skill Sniper 16GB DDR3 (4GB x 4) @ 1600 MHz || MSI Gaming X nvidia GTX 1060 6GB DDR5 || Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD || Western Digital 3 TB HDD (1TB BLACK & 2TB BLUE) || Cooler Master's MasterLiquid 120 Lite || Cooler Master Slient Pro 550W (GOLD 80+) || Cooler Master's Masterbox 5 || Logitech G19 Keyboard || Dell Mouse || Creative T6160 || Dell S2240L IPS Full HD || Windows 10 Pro x64 ||

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, fueg said:

364 with shipping as NCIX is free but damn, never saw them that cheap. RX 480 4GB is still cheaper

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

364 with shipping as NCIX is free but damn, never saw them that cheap. RX 480 4GB is still cheaper

Where have you find a RX 480 4GB in stock? Do you have a link? I tried to find one a couple of days ago but couldn't so I bought that 1060...

Just now, fueg said:

Where have you find a RX 480 4GB in stock? Do you have a link? I tried to find one a couple of days ago but couldn't so I bought that 1060...

Not in stock but on preorder

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, fueg said:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/sapphire-nitro-radeon-rx-480-ed-133915.htm

Spoiler

AXIOM

20 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I maent the same as the 8GB, I love AMD drivers, I have an AMD APU in my laptop and Crimson it awesome. Plus AMD drivers are very nice now

Alright then

DirectX 12 and Vulkan are known to work better on AMD cards. I would get an aftermarket 480, the RX 480 Gaming X is currently available on Newegg (not for long though). Plus, you have the option for Crossfire with that card and future cards down the line.

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Not in stock but on preorder

I see... FWIW I initially planned to buy a 4GB 480 for 1080p gaming but as someone pointed out the prices for the 480 are more inflated than the prices of the 1060. The 480 Saphire Nitro 4GB should sell for around $219USD ($282CAD) and the 1060 I bought sell for $270USD ($347CAD)...

Anyway I'm not here to change your mind, do what you feel is right!

If you're doing 1080p then the 4GB model will be fine; however.. for especially texture filled games, or 1440p, it will become a bottleneck in the near future. If you're doing or plan to do VR then just get the 8GB model.

5 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

If you are doing a long term investment ( 3 years ) then go for the 8gb version.

if you can Afford, GTX 1060. Best bang for the buck in the 300~ bucks price range.

If 50 bucks lower, then: RX 470 8gb Custom > RX 480 4gb Custom

RX 4880 4gb has a SLOWER clocked VRam, which means slight less performance.

However, the 8gb of the few % slower RX 470 are more future proof, than then 5-8% more Performance fo the RX 480 with 4gb.

7 minutes ago, ivryk said:

If you are doing a long term investment ( 3 years ) then go for the 8gb version.

3 years is quite short term. I think I've decided to go for the 4GB, seems to get much better bang for the buck and I dont think I'll need 4GB more. Although it depends n how much I make this Christmas. If I get scheduled an extra day I'll go for the 8GB

Spoiler

AXIOM

11 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

3 years is quite short term. I think I've decided to go for the 4GB, seems to get much better bang for the buck and I dont think I'll need 4GB more. Although it depends n how much I make this Christmas. If I get scheduled an extra day I'll go for the 8GB

Well 3 years is the normal gpu cycle. Up to you bro, if you feel 4gb is enough for now and 3 years down the road but if you really want bang for the buck then go for the rx 470?

4 gig.

You won't need 8gb until you're running at 4K, at which point you should crossfire anyway.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler