Have you ever won a giveaway?

IAmAndre

Hi,

I've been trying my luck at a lot of giveaways in the past few years and never won anything, ever. For the past few weeks, I've been trying to do it a bit more intensively by doing as many retweets as possible and get as many entry points as possible, but now when I see my odds of winning, I can see that in the best case I have like one chance on over 7000, sometimes it's even 1/45000+. So my question is how many of you have ever won anything at all, and if you have, how often did it happen, how often do you try your luck?

Thanks

Yeah, I have won a couple.

Recently I won a mouse on this forum (after a couple original winners didn't respond and they had to redraw some winners). I have also won some game codes on this forum. When I have the game already I just give away the code to someone else who wants it more.

I have once also won a 'retweet to win' giveaway, it was for some augmented reality cards for a 3DS game :P 

Do contests also count? Because I won a couple things through that too..

I have tried my luck with all these Twitter, Gleam and whatever giveaways, but never got anything through it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I rarely participate in giveaways, but I managed to win two consecutive ones from the same place - a mousepad and a T-shirt. :D

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Won a Phanteks CPU cooler and a desk mat in separate competitions. Maybe more, can't remember.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Yarp - samsung curved ultrawide, SSD and a game last year. 

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Interesting. So what's the trick? Do you have to try many times or just be a lucky person?

38 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Interesting. So what's the trick? Do you have to try many times or just be a lucky person?

Well, you could say both. If you enter a million giveaways, your chance to win giveaway is higher than if you enter one. But at the same time you have to be 'lucky'.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ye one time I won Far Cry 3.But after like 5000 unlucky giveaways.

Patience...

Only one, but it was hardly anything impactful i suppose. I won a OnePlus X Ceramic limited code back then to purchase it, but it got wasted :l, since i had to purchase it anyways, but couldnt get this code in any other way lol and on Ebay some folks were selling codes for 200€ l.l

Android Authority giveaways on the other hand, are impossible... You need like 700 facebook friends and over 1000 guys in your google + circle for it to work and they all have to use your provided link -.-, so only some guys can win... stupid as f.

Groomlake Authority

I always thought those "retweet and get XXX" giveaways are fake. 

Those youtubers (MKBHD and some other tech/gaming channel) never release a vid/tweet to show who won the contest. 

Am I wrong??? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

-snip-

Well, UnboxTherapy once had like 500 Iphone 6S to giveaway and he only ended up giving 15-20 of them. Most probably were sent back to Apple's warehouses for resale or recycling... 

And the ones that do giveaway, usually post on facebook or twitter, but since they tweet and writte theyr opinions so many fliggin times, it could be hard to see those.

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Well, UnboxTherapy once had like 500 Iphone 6S to giveaway and he only ended up giving 15-20 of them. Most probably were sent back to Apple's warehouses for resale or recycling... 

And the ones that do giveaway, usually post on facebook or twitter, but since they tweet and writte theyr opinions so many fliggin times, it could be hard to see those.

I'm also wondering how that iPhone giveaway ended.

13 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

-snip-

Yeah, its quite sad that he didnt A) post all the winners of the giveaway or B) gave less than 5% of what he had...

Groomlake Authority

Only giveaway I've ever won was a dark crisis booster box of yugioh cards back in the day.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

Yes one for a $5000 Canoe

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

It's my Nordic blood.

That's why I won the canoe :P Im from Finland and Sweden

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

not from LTT

but I have elsewhere

480gb ssd

1300w G2

couple games

cablemod set

tshirt

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Two concert tickets from the Fox.  Both times I couldn't get into Vancouver to pick them up.

If bingo and raffles also count under giveaway I won some more stuff, like a big screwdriver set (with about 48 different screwdrivers and some bits, but no tri wing!! ahh!), some sheets of sand paper, sand paper holder and a first aid kit to match them :P Some other time I also won a full set of kitchen utensils (it's 6x forks, knives and spoons)

Won W10 Pro 64 bit retail key, Dirt Rally, other games from members on this forum.

But I got some games for free from other members as well, like Rocket League.

GTA V from a giveaway

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.