smell in pc

pcshme33

So today I installed a new psu (EVGA 750 p2) and some nice red cable mod cables. But, I can smell some sort of smell coming from my pc. I checked the graphics card and that baby is full of dust. Could the dust be the reason im getting that smell? Im going to blow it out tomorrow either way, just wanting to know what your opinions are and what are some possible causes. GPU is a 970 strix.

What kind of smell, burning or dusty?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

What kind of smell, burning or dusty?

more of a burning smell then dusty. But I have experienced this even before, when I had my other PSU.  

Just now, EnemySp0tt3d said:

more of a burning smell then dusty. But I have experienced this even before, when I had my other PSU.  

Take a picture of the inside of your rig and the part where there's a lot of dust. Try to find where the smell is the strongest.

@STRMfrmXMN knows a lot about PSUs so he might be able to help as well.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I know of a distinct pc dust smell, idk if this is it. 
Can you upload the smell so I can see?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

6 minutes ago, spwath said:

I know of a distinct pc dust smell, idk if this is it. 
Can you upload the smell so I can see?

Is this it? I'm not the OP but I've smelled a lot of PCs.

dust.smell

✨PC Specs✨

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Is this it? I'm not the OP but I've smelled a lot of PCs.

dust.smell

It's a smell.

Wow.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, spwath said:

It's a smell.

Wow.

xD 

✨PC Specs✨

12 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Take a picture of the inside of your rig and the part where there's a lot of dust. Try to find where the smell is the strongest.

@STRMfrmXMN knows a lot about PSUs so he might be able to help as well.

Im almost sure its the gpu. Whenever the fans on the gpu turn on the smell starts to come up again. The pc has been running for almost 6 hours now and nothing has happened. So if it was the psu, i think it would have died out already.

Thanks for your help:)

1 minute ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

Im almost sure its the gpu. Whenever the fans on the gpu turn on the smell starts to come up again. The pc has been running for almost 6 hours now and nothing has happened. So if it was the psu, i think it would have died out already.

Thanks for your help:)

Yeah, give it a good dusting soon ;) 

✨PC Specs✨

anyways, if you are geting that smell something has failed and probely needs to be replaced,

this is a sign to tell you that something has failed

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

Burning electronics has a very distinct smell that you can't mistake. Even if you've never smelled it before you will recognize it instantly.

Sometimes when new electronics are fired up for the first time they will emit an odor for a short period. It is usually just chemicals from the manufacturing process burning off. It's harmless and I think it smells kind of good actually.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Just now, DragonTamer1 said:

Burning electronics has a very distinct smell that you can't mistake. Even if you've never smelled it before you will recognize it instantly.

Sometimes when new electronics are fired up for the first time they will emit an odor for a short period. It is usually just chemicals from the manufacturing process burning off. It's harmless and I think it smells kind of good actually.

It's just I've smelled this before. Started when I first got my gpu. Whenever the fan kicks on the smell starts to rise. It's been running good for over a year and still is. 

53 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

So today I installed a new psu (EVGA 750 p2) and some nice red cable mod cables. But, I can smell some sort of smell coming from my pc. I checked the graphics card and that baby is full of dust. Could the dust be the reason im getting that smell? Im going to blow it out tomorrow either way, just wanting to know what your opinions are and what are some possible causes. GPU is a 970 strix.

Depending on the material of the cables it may be visibly burnt or warped if the cables were the issue. If the smell comes from the PSU then turn it off right away and request a refund.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

39 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

It's just I've smelled this before. Started when I first got my gpu. Whenever the fan kicks on the smell starts to rise. It's been running good for over a year and still is. 

That's just the smell of new electronics getting broken in. Enjoy it, it's the smell of glory.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

all of the smells are pretty distinct. New parts have a smell of chemicalish stuff, burning electronics/PSU caps exploding are very distinct. Cockroaches cooking under PSU agian very distinct. GPU getting to hot and melting pcb again distinct altho similar to the burning. I worked at a manufacture repair center and can tell you some horrors, the smells being the worst. 

new PSU's can sometimes smell a bit, but probably dust overheating the card.

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--