Scan Computers Rant!

Fyfey96

Hey all, So last week I heard a screeching noise from my HDD. I use this to store all my photos and videos, I'm quite into photography so I have a lot of pictures. I panicked because I don't have a back up if this stuff. Anyway, after a post on the forums I decided.  To order a WD My Cloud EX2100 2-Bay NAS and 2 x 3TB WD Red drives.  The NAS was out of stock and it said they were expecting stock that day so I placed my order. I was around £400 so I decided to do buy no pay later and I have a few months to spread it over. So after a day or so they say it's delayed and awaiting stock then I eventually got another email saying the item had been discontinued and I was to selected an alternative. So I sorted by price and found the one I ordered and picked one of similar price and I chose a SynologyDS216+II 2 Bay which worked out £14 more expensive and as this was on buy now pay later they said I would only be charged the difference. No biggie that's fine. So today I check my bank and I've been charged £62. After phoning them they told me that the price of my original item had been increase since i ordered it so when I was doing my price comparison  it was actually £45 more expensive already then the £14. Very miss leading and no one told me this when I was to pick another. So I've had to pay the £62.  A bit unfair  and they can't change finance agreement. What's the chances of that increasing after a few days. A bit unfair haha. 

That's a shame. I've always considered Scan to be a reputable company. Try emailing them directly and explain the situation. They should be glad to help.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

3 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

That's a shame. I've always considered Scan to be a reputable company. Try emailing them directly and explain the situation. They should be glad to help.

Yea I know I was speaking to the guy on the phone when he told me but didn't seem to want to do anything else. Except tell me I can change it again. Like even when I said to them on phone last night I'll go for the other they just said ok and never confirmed the amount id need to pay 

Prices change all the time

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

this is why my retailer of choice (alternate) always does full refund or nothing.

usually their way of doing thigs is that the drives just get shipped to you like they would have, but (first off, you wouldnt be able to buy something that isnt in stock) the NAS would have gotten refunded to you (in store credit) for you to pick up anything else. so in theory if there was something with the NAS, you could use the store credit to just pick up some components to build something yourself.

Never had any problems with Scan myself, but if that was happening to me I'd just send everything back/cancel and order some place else.

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

13 minutes ago, manikyath said:

this is why my retailer of choice (alternate) always does full refund or nothing.

usually their way of doing thigs is that the drives just get shipped to you like they would have, but (first off, you wouldnt be able to buy something that isnt in stock) the NAS would have gotten refunded to you (in store credit) for you to pick up anything else. so in theory if there was something with the NAS, you could use the store credit to just pick up some components to build something yourself.

Yea, I ordered the NAS on Pre-Order as it was awaiting a stock. I just selected to ship everything together as I wouldnt need them until I had the NAS.

11 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

Never had any problems with Scan myself, but if that was happening to me I'd just send everything back/cancel and order some place else.

Yea I agree, but I just wanted it now to ensure my data is safer. And the buy now pay later for 9 months was perfect cos I could pay it over the 9 months or less with no interest without having to fork or the full £400

4 hours ago, AstroBenny said:

Reputable? Theyre scam artists:

Linus is my fetish.

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Prices change all the time

Yet changing the "price" of an item you don't have and you don't plan to have again (to the point you refuse to deliver to your customer and ask him to choose a different product)... What exactly are you pricing then?

Scam artists!

Complete idiots more like it considering how steadfast they were in sticking with shittylink as their courier of choice until their closure pushed the matter (plus they kept insisting that no royal mail delivery method had any kind of insurance when in fact several did) and it's most likely an idiot that made a complete mess out of that RMA you mentioned and the other idiots are taking it as gospel.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yet changing the "price" of an item you don't have and you don't plan to have again (to the point you refuse to deliver to your customer and ask him to choose a different product)... What exactly are you pricing then?

probably a miscommunication or something. ive never had this issue and most of my pc came from scan.

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

1 minute ago, demonix00 said:

Scam artists!

Complete idiots more like it considering how steadfast they were in sticking with shittylink as their courier of choice until their closure pushed the matter (plus they kept insisting that no royal mail delivery method had any kind of insurance when in fact several did) and it's most likely an idiot that made a complete mess out of that RMA you mentioned and the other idiots are taking it as gospel.

Um, they use DPD. Probably the best courier out there in the UK

Just now, iDeFecZx said:

Um, they use DPD. Probably the best courier out there in the UK

They use DPD NOW!

Before that, they used citylink (or as some called them, shittylink) which a lot of their customers complained about as most of the time they couldn't find their ass in the dark without the aid of a map, a flashlight and written directions which riled up a lot of their customers who kept on complaining while they stuck steadfast to their guns and stuck with who they'd chosen to deliver their packages until citylink decided to fold meaning they had to find a new courier which is why they now use DPD.

Scan have always been great for me. I ordered one of their custom builds and just before the build began I changed my mind about the water cooler, case and HDD I wanted to use. It increased the overall cost by around £40 I told them I'd phone and pay the extra on my card. They emailed back confirming the changes had been made and there'd be no additional cost. It's an insignificant amount to them but not to me and this isn't something I'd ever come across before. 

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

On 4 August 2016 at 0:25 AM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yea, exaclty! I said this to the guy on the Phone and he said the price been adjusted to suit stock they may be able to get which is more expensive. So I said basically if I hold out I may get my original item for the good price I bought it at and he said yes but can't guarantee getting the stock. 

On 4 August 2016 at 0:27 AM, iDeFecZx said:

probably a miscommunication or something. ive never had this issue and most of my pc came from scan.

Yeap, over ordered from them a few times and they have been great. Customers service were helpful and easy to get a hold of just wasn't happy with outcome. 

20 hours ago, LordLeewee said:

Did they tell you it would only be £15 extra, or did you just not look at the new total final cost properly?

Well, when I went back on the site to pick another item I sorted by price and found my original item and found one of similar spec and price. £14 more than what was showing on the website. But from when I ordered they had upped the price by £50 so when looking at them together the gap seemed lesser. I never looked at my original invoice because I never expected the price to change. 

On 04/08/2016 at 0:05 AM, Bhav said:

Reputable? Theyre scam artists:

I've never had a problem with them or know of anybody being "scammed". I'd say the service over at overclockers is better but the prices for goods and shipping lately have been a bit steep. When it comes to hard drives I find ebuyer to be great on price. 

I'd see about getting a full refund and going somewhere with stock 

19 minutes ago, Rammix said:

I've never had a problem with them or know of anybody being "scammed". I'd say the service over at overclockers is better but the prices for goods and shipping lately have been a bit steep. When it comes to hard drives I find ebuyer to be great on price. 

I'd see about getting a full refund and going somewhere with stock 

Sorry, but nowhere else would send you a used replacement for a 4 month old motherboard that has different serials on the box and board. And one that didnt work wither just so they could pin the blame on the user, when getting an actual BRAND NEW motherboard fixed the problem.

Linus is my fetish.

I contacted Scan that my Corsair VS was having issues (again) they've immediately filled me with an RMA number, and on Monday I'm exchanging some £ on top for an EVGA G2.

I've used Scan for many years, I've never had a bad experience.  I have noticed though in relation to your story, that their PSU prices jump up and down by around £12, I have a feeling Brexit may have a bit to do with this.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Scan are just bad in general I won't even consider recommending them to anyone that I know due to previous bad dealings with them with components I had purchased a Asus board 3 times I had to RMA due to them all having bent pins and 3 times they said it's my fault and 3 times I had to drive to scan from my town 2 hours away to get a refund as they wouldn't allow RMA due to my fault yet the boards were newly delivered

l i7 5930k | Rampage V Extreme | Corsair H110i GTX | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked ACX 3.0 | EVGA SuperNova 750w G2 | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB l Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 1 TB WD Red | Corsair 900D |

Evolution - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbJq9W

CPU-Z Validation - http://valid.x86.fr/3dxmew

Further to Above ive just seen my phone bill and i was charged £6 for a call to them the first time when i was asked to call them and another £4 when i had discovered extra payment.  

So now i have sent them this email.....

"

Dear Sir/Madam.

I recently placed an order on buy now pay later. At the time the item was out of stock and was due for arrival that day. I was then later informed via email that the item was no longer available from the supplier and I was asked to telephone to change my order. So I went onto your website and sorted by price, located my item and found one of similar price. (£14 More Expensive) The guy on the phone explained to me that i would pay any extra as the buy now pay later agreement could not be changed. This was fine by me. So I changed my order and expected the £14 to be charged. Then I receive an invoice for £62.80. After another call to customer service it came to light that my original item had been put up in price. Therefore making it appear like a lesser gap from what I had paid. Very very Miss leading. Why change an item that is discontinued? Then further to this, I have checked my phone bill and been charged £6 for my first call to you after being asked to call you and these costs were not noted in the email where i was asked to contact you. Then I was charged another £4 for calling again to try and sort the first issues, This whole ordeal has cost me over £70 which i was not prepared to spend. I have been a loyal customer to scan and always rated them well having spent £2000 with you in the last year.

Very Disappointed with my experience.

Kind Regards,

Alistair

"

It sounds like you've been calling them on their 0871 number which is expensive.

You should have gone to their website where they show both that number and their local number which wouldn't have cost you as much (unless you checked the website for a number and just used the first number shown).

11 hours ago, demonix00 said:

It sounds like you've been calling them on their 0871 number which is expensive.

You should have gone to their website where they show both that number and their local number which wouldn't have cost you as much (unless you checked the website for a number and just used the first number shown).

They sent me an email asking me to call them and gave me that number only. I got a reply email from them today..

"

Mr Alistair Fyfe,

Thank you for your email and comments,

I apologise sincerely for the problems you have experienced with your recent order, I can appreciate your disappointment and frustrations with what has happened. I have spoken to the members of staff involved and reiterated our process in checking correct pricing to ensure this mistake does not happen again in the future.

I have arranged for a refund of £10.00 + vat for your call charges you have incurred, I have also arranged for your £9.58 + vat postage fee to be credited as a goodwill gesture. The refund of £19.58 + vat should be credited against the finance company directly against the amount you owe them.

Kind Regards,

Dawn
Scan Computers

"

I guess it's not that bad. The £60 wasn't the worst ting because the NAS is worth the money but the call anoyed me the most. At least they have given me something back for that.