Titan XP price might be justified

App4that
2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Exactly. If you own a 4k monitor and want a locked 60fps, the Pascal Titan X is a bargain. If you own a 60hz 1080p monitor, then it will seem silly.

What I'm trying to say is that this test shows it's great for these deep learning, AI, compute situations, and for that, it may well be a bargain.  But, for gaming... afaik we just don't know yet.  It might crush that too, but until we have more data I don't think we know if it's a "bargain" or not...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My point is that "its level of performance" depends on what you want to do with it ;)

It's a Titan, if Nvidia is true to their claims and my comments are dependent on that honesty then it will be the only single GPU option for a locked 60 fps at 4k, and the cheapest option.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

It's a Titan, if Nvidia is true to their claims and my comments are dependent on that honesty then it will be the only single GPU option for a locked 60 fps at 4k, and the cheapest option.

Well here's hoping it is! :) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, App4that said:

@GEHORCand I am a starving student, quite literally sometimes xD But I'm a student, so I'm clever. I realize that spending most of my income of things that have no value, well is stupid. But what do most people do? They pay for a bottle of water on the way to work, rather than using a glass bottle they have owned for years and water from the tap. They drink soda, rather than water. They drive cars, they pay for cable, they go to bars, and all the things that make them broke with nothing to show for it. 

I buy things with value and ether use them until that value has been satisfied, or sell them at the appropriate time so as to maximize my return on the investment. 

Take a month and keep track of everything you buy, EVERYTHING. End of the moth tally it up, see how much of your income goes where. Get back to me.

I dont need to do that. I keep track of all of my expenses through my credit card website and YNAB. And everything has a value so while you do have a point it only works for what you think has value. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, App4that said:

Look at it from my perspective. You want me to wait at least 5 months to see what AMD releases with Vega even though they haven't been able to compete with Nvidia in the enthusiast market in the hopes they might break that trend so that I can buy a graphics card that doesn't utilize the feature that raised the price of my monitor by 200us?

And that doesn't seem weird to you? I'm asking honestly, because your proposal doesn't seem right.

If you want the Titan, yes. Otherwise multiple 1080s or 1070s is a better value proposition imo.

1 minute ago, othertomperson said:

If you want the Titan, yes. Otherwise multiple 1080s or 1070s is a better value proposition imo.

On the 1080 SLI it looks like there's only a few games you actually have to disable SLI to not lose performance and/or have other issues. What I'm looking into now is trying to find some 1070 SLI to 1080 SLI comparisons. Feel free to link me if you have one. And obviously this is going to be way more fun once we can add the Titan X in there.

1 hour ago, App4that said:

On the 1080 SLI it looks like there's only a few games you actually have to disable SLI to not lose performance and/or have other issues. What I'm looking into now is trying to find some 1070 SLI to 1080 SLI comparisons. Feel free to link me if you have one. And obviously this is going to be way more fun once we can add the Titan X in there.

I'm expecting there to be piss all between them tbh. They're the exact same GPU, just one has some cores disabled and has GDDR5 rather than GDDR5X. Maybe the core count difference will affect you as a computational user, rather than a pure gamer, but speaking as someone who got the 1080s purely because they could, I really don't think it's worth it from a cost perspective. Depending on how BA a system you want for computation, you could even get three 1070s, use two for Dx11 gaming, and three for Dx12 and computing (neither of which need traditional SLI or a bridge)  and you would have spent the exact same amount as if you had just gone with two 1080s :P 

20 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

I'm expecting there to be piss all between them tbh. They're the exact same GPU, just one has some cores disabled and has GDDR5 rather than GDDR5X. Maybe the core count difference will affect you as a computational user, rather than a pure gamer, but speaking as someone who got the 1080s purely because they could, I really don't think it's worth it from a cost perspective. Depending on how BA a system you want for computation, you could even get three 1070s, use two for Dx11 gaming, and three for Dx12 and computing (neither of which need traditional SLI or a bridge)  and you would have spent the exact same amount as if you had just gone with two 1080s :P 

The 1080 SLI blows the doors off the 980ti SLI in every comparison I find. But I haven't found one comparison between the 1070 SLI and the 1080 SLI. Or a tester that's done both set ups in separate comparisons so I know the methodology is the same. If it was a matter of 5-10 fps I would be tempted by the 1070s. But the 1080s flat out destroy the 980ti and that's the closest comparison I can find. I'm going to keep looking though. And the GDDR5X is kinda a consideration.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

The 1080 SLI blows the doors off the 980ti SLI in every comparison I find. But I haven't found one comparison between the 1070 SLI and the 1080 SLI. Or a tester that's done both set ups in separate comparisons so I know the methodology is the same. If it was a matter of 5-10 fps I would be tempted by the 1070s. But the 1080s flat out destroy the 980ti and that's the closest comparison I can find. I'm going to keep looking though. And the GDDR5X is kinda a consideration.

Ehh it depends on your point of view. A 1070 at stock is basically a 980 Ti at stock. A 1080 > 980 Ti. However, the 1070 is basically never at stock unless your PC is a pressure cooker. At the same time, though, the 980 Tis generally overclocked like absolute crazy, to the extent where most match the 1080 at stock and some exceed it. Then again, because of GPUboost 3.0, so does the 1070, but then the 1080 also overclocks and has more cores...

...basically it's complicated xD

20 hours ago, alphaproject said:

Since Vega and Navi are right around the corner.... Nvidia has a lot of balls charging $1200.

The only way I see this card being worthy of $1200 is if the HBM2 cards aren't living up to the hype.

In that case we don't have anything else to look forward to for a good solid 2 years. So... in that scenario it's the best value you can buy.

Vega looks to be 2017 and Navi 2018. Hard to call them around the corner.

51746_01_amds-official-2016-2018-gpu-roa

11 hours ago, GEHORC said:

That's not quite correct. The price for developing the new stuff is and was always included in the product price.

This has a whole new dimension.

It's not only the Titan class. From the GTX460 to the GTX960 the x60 class card was always $199 and now the 1060 is $249 all of a sudden. (I'll ignore the fact that you can't actually buy it for $249)

If we go on with this 25% from now on every 1.5 years, instead of keeping the price of a card of the same tier, what will your GTX1660 in 2026 cost?

Just some more numbers:

GTX285: $400 ==> GTX480: $499 ==> GTX980: $549 ==> GTX 1080: $599

Has your salary increased by 50% from 2009 til now?

And on top of that: the GTX 285 was only outperformed by the GTX295 at the time, which was a dual GPU card for $500.

So this very GTX295 from Jan. 2009 for $500 is the card that has to be compared to the Titan XP for $1200.

This is a 140% increase over 7.5 years. Where will this go?!

I think you got that wrong, the GTX 480 was the Titan class card of Fermi. Your pricing evolution for the highend cards should go:

GTX285: $400 ==> GTX480: $499 ==> GTX 580: $499 ==> Titan Kepler: $999 ==> Titan Black Kepler: $999 ==> Titan X Maxwell: $999 ==> Titan X Pascal: $1199

25 minutes ago, IGJoe2192 said:

Nope, still not justified. 

Then name a card that has the same performance of a Pascal Titan X for less. 

17 minutes ago, App4that said:

Then name a card that has the same performance of a Pascal Titan X for less. 

Let me know when official benchmarks are out and we can further discuss this "price to performance" you so claim it has.

Just now, IGJoe2192 said:

Let me know when official benchmarks are out and we can further discuss this "price to performance" you so claim it has.

It is a well known fact that the top end cards have a crap price to performance. The Titan has never been a price to performance card,  it was more like a rich boy's show off toy. Nvidia is taking a leaf out of Intel's books and spiking prices for the 'enthusiasts'. Why wouldn't they... they are a business after all.

Powerhouse: i7 5960X, RVE, 64GB 2400Mhz DDR4, GTX 1080ti SLI, Intel 750 400GB boot, 850 EVO 1tb storage, AX1500i

proto-Powerhouse: i7 3930K, RIVE, 32GB 2133 DDR3, GTX 980ti SLI, 850 EVO 1tb boot, barracuda 4 tb storage, HX850i  ded RIP

Work in progress: Powerzen: R7 1700, X370 Taichi, 32GB, gtx 1050ti (temporary), 850 evo 1tb, Hx 850i

Unraid NAS Server: i7 5820k, X99E-mitx, 32GB 2133 DDR4, THE MIGHTY GT 710 (WITH GOLD PLATED HDMI!!!!!), 3x 10 tb drives, 250 gb ssd cache, Antec 550W PSU, Node 304

Early 2015 Macbook Retina pro 13"

5 minutes ago, IGJoe2192 said:

So when the benchmarks hit, we will in fact revisit this. ;) 

I've been reading about the Titan(X) a lot, I can buy one literally the day it's out or just get 2 1080s now and hope a TI comes later, but here's the thing... the way the 1080s are priced right now some being literally almost $1000 albeit a AIB card MSRP not scalpers trying to rape your wallet...  So $1,200 isn't that much more, it is 50% faster than a 1080, and it's NOT like they'll give us something weird like 10GB of GDDR5X or something like that...

My guess is the XP card is the TI, and that the real Titan with 3840 cuda cores is not yet released, remember they did hint 24gb of vram for big pascal.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

I was just looking at that, too bad it looks to be the total score and not the graphics score.

In the article they state that it are graphics scores. Also some other 'rumorish' info.

1 minute ago, Blackoutjazz said:

In the article they state that it are graphics scores. Also some other 'rumorish' info.

So a typo in the article or am I reading too fast?

17 minutes ago, Blackoutjazz said:

I get 24k with a 980ti, but maybe that's at reference speeds. Guess we'll find out soon.

DAMN IT!!! ****, mother ****er...

I had just got myself used to the idea of doing 1080 SLI, and then this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-titan-x-12gb,4700.html

Holy crap, I mean damn. It rips the head off a 1080 and ****s down it's ****ing throat.

So back to waiting for a Titan XP... Should have popped on one today...

29 minutes ago, App4that said:

DAMN IT!!! ****, mother ****er...

I had just got myself used to the idea of doing 1080 SLI, and then this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-titan-x-12gb,4700.html

Holy crap, I mean damn. It rips the head off a 1080 and ****s down it's ****ing throat.

So back to waiting for a Titan XP... Should have popped on one today...

You'll enjoy this even more ;)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73148-nvidia-titan-x-12gb-performance-review.html

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/