with W10 Aniversary Update, MicroSoft invalidates certain policies in Group Policy Editor - W10 Pro edition affected

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

I'd get the upgrade because none of us knows where things will end up right now. Get it, so Win 10 is registered to the license, and then reinstall Windows 7, and wait and see what happens.

Will it keep the Win10 association with the Win7 license key? I thought if you reverted a Win10 upgrade it removed the installation association. Cause I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't get the free upgrade later if I did that. 

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Like I explained earlier, the setting might appear to be disabled, but they will not actually have any effect. Are you sure you are on the correct version of Windows 10 Pro, and that the group policies (not just any group policy, the ones that says they can only be applied to Educational/server/enterprise) actually have any effect?

Yes and yes, but unfortunately you seem to be right. 

Its not making any effect. 

I wonder if windows server 2016 will be able to disable these options through domain then. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

15 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

Will it keep the Win10 association with the Win7 license key? I thought if you reverted a Win10 upgrade it removed the installation association. Cause I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't get the free upgrade later if I did that. 

Once activated for Windows 10, it permanently becomes both a Windows 7 and Windows 10 license. So, you'll always be able to install either from the one license.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Is there any real difference for Win 10 Home users? 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

19 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Once activated for Windows 10, it permanently becomes both a Windows 7 and Windows 10 license. So, you'll always be able to install either from the one license.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to an announcement from MS about that? Not that I don't believe you, it's just that I've never seen that anywhere before...

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Just now, DevilishBooster said:

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to an announcement from MS about that? Not that I don't believe you, it's just that I've never seen that anywhere before...

I don't have a link, but I've used my license to install Win 7, then upgraded to 10, then reinstalled Win 7 with the same license, then reinstalled Win 10 with the same license, and I'm running both on the same PC, no problems.

Also, there was nothing in the upgrade agreement about forfeiting Windows 7, or losing access to it after any amount of time. And now the agreement is a done deal. MS can't unilaterally change the terms of a license on their own.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

42 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Like I explained earlier, the setting might appear to be disabled, but they will not actually have any effect. Are you sure you are on the correct version of Windows 10 Pro, and that the group policies (not just any group policy, the ones that says they can only be applied to Educational/server/enterprise) actually have any effect?

On Monday i will manually add the admx files required to have all windows 10 gpo settings appear in my domain controller. Then I will test again.

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

I don't have a link, but I've used my license to install Win 7, then upgraded to 10, then reinstalled Win 7 with the same license, then reinstalled Win 10 with the same license, and I'm running both on the same PC, no problems.

Also, there was nothing in the upgrade agreement about forfeiting Windows 7, or losing access to it after any amount of time. And now the agreement is a done deal. MS can't unilaterally change the terms of a license on their own.

Also done this on my older gaming rig. Works fine.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Just now, Kierax said:

Also done this on my older gaming rig. Works fine.

Ok, but is that because it lets you keep both licenses, or is it because it's been within the free upgrade period?

END OF LINE

Just now, DevilishBooster said:

Ok, but is that because it lets you keep both licenses, or is it because it's been within the free upgrade period?

That is a question I have no answer too. 

7 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

I don't see the free upgrade period as being a factor. It just wouldn't make sense if a person was locked out of their previous Windows license by taking the free Win10 offer. What is someone needs their previous OS for application compatibility, or development, or other reason? Microsoft isn't selling earlier Windows OS licenses anymore, so how would a person access the earlier Windows OS they used unless their license retained its original property?

Part of the assurance of taking the free upgrade offer to Win 10 is that a person can revert if they need to. But the Windows automated revert process lasts for only 30 days after taking up the upgrade offer. I've been able to dual boot and reinstall Windows beyond that 30 day revert timeframe.

But what I think is the bottom line, is that if there was no such clause restricting access to the Windows the license was originally for in the upgrade agreement, then so such clause exists. It wouldn't be legal for Microsoft to make up rules after the fact, and it wouldn't have been a sensible rule to have existed.

29 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Is there any real difference for Win 10 Home users? 

Home users don't have access to Group Policies at all; they do however still have access to the Registry Editor

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Home users don't have access to Group Policies at all; they do however still have access to the Registry Editor

Which I interpret has also been disabled for set features. 

52 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I can confirm this for Windows 8.1 too, I've installed Windows 8.1 and 10 with the same 8.1 license key and it activates fine on both.

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

I wonder if windows server 2016 will be able to disable these options through domain then. 

Windows Server 2016 will not be able to do it either. It is by design. Microsoft even has an article about how Windows 10 Pro will no longer be able to disable store suggestions on their website.

The problem is not in the server pushing out the GPOs. The problem lies with the client computers having their policy disconnected from the backend of the OS. You can flip the GPO switches all you want, but they are not connected to anything in the OS so nothing will happen.

2 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

So then, it could be a bug... assuming no new build from now and the official release August 2nd...

I would suggest that everyone posts in the feedback hub the issue.

Microsoft is horrible

Apple is horrible

I have nowhere to hide

I should learn how to use Linux.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 hour ago, BingoFishy said:

Microsoft is horrible

Apple is horrible

I have nowhere to hide

well if you are serious about it, enjoy:

https://linuxjourney.com

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

So then, it could be a bug... assuming no new build from now and the official release August 2nd...

I want to believe that, since unavailable gpo settings should have the enable or disable option greyed out and unselectable. 

When i get access to my office monday ill make the edits to my domain controller and see what happens. Likely nothing, but hopefully it will override local gpo. 

22 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why would they do this?  I bet they will eventually combine home and pro once they've stripped pro of everything that set it apart.  So what about the people who bough pro under the assumption that they would have more power and control?

That's an illusion.  Control.  

The only reason there are different versions at different price points is because it is an illusion of control.  Microsoft controls what you get to do on the operating system, now with Windows 10 blocking certain invalid devices and stuff, and now this.  It makes it even more apparent.  I use Windows for my own reasons but I have an encrypted hard drive and refuse to login to my MS account.  Because Windows is poisonous if you use it as your default desktop.  

If you want to know what control is, switch to GNU/Linux and use it for a year.  You will hate Windows with a passion.  It's easy to get into the rut of MS office, 'needing' Windows games and loving Windows.  Yet, it's all wrong.  Everything.  Once you switch to free software, you learn more about technology, not MS but actual technology and the deep down, you can control everything you do with your own software because it is free. 

Even though Ubuntu has a bunch of crap in it, it's more free than Windows, Use something like Debian and use the free software, the free OS and join the communities.  It's better than this illusion we call control over our own technology. LOL.  

When world war 3 inevitably happens, I wonder when it will be and what will happen.  People in the time of crisis will realize the monster the corporations are and will be faced with a Windows they can barely use because Microsoft isn't doing anything.

Tell me: If Microsoft didn't constantly spoon feed Windows, would you feel comfortable using Windows? 

3 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

Microsoft is horrible

Apple is horrible

I have nowhere to hide

You should. Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook etc watch over us like Eagles awaiting to hunt us down. I may seem paranoid to you, but when you switch from Windows to GNU/Linux like I did. You start to realize the horrible situation you were and are still in.  

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

well if you are serious about it, enjoy:

https://linuxjourney.com

Looks like a cool little tutorial. NetAcad had a free linux course for some time too, teaches RHEL, it's not a cert but it's good knowledge, LinuxJourney looks like something like a linux taster.  Very cool! 

1 minute ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

You should. Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook etc watch over us like Eagles awaiting to hunt us down. I may seem paranoid to you, but when you switch from Windows to GNU/Linux like I did. You start to realize the horrible situation you were and are still in.  

Looks like a cool little tutorial. NetAcad had a free linux course for some time too, teaches RHEL, it's not a cert but it's good knowledge, LinuxJourney looks like something like a linux taster.  Very cool! 

Yeah, Linux journey is not meant to be an in depth guide on Linux, just a small swiss knife of the ins and outs and tools available in Linux.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

5 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

I want to believe that, since unavailable gpo settings should have the enable or disable option greyed out and unselectable. 

When i get access to my office monday ill make the edits to my domain controller and see what happens. Likely nothing, but hopefully it will override local gpo. 

It is not a bug. It is by design. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/group-policies-for-enterprise-and-education-editions

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3135657

The only thing that might be seen as a bug is that the GPOs are still there for everyone to see, but since they changed it to say that it can only be applied to certain SKUs I doubt it was an oversight. 

5 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Is the update even available now?.

Starting August 2nd, and will be released in waves.