with W10 Aniversary Update, MicroSoft invalidates certain policies in Group Policy Editor - W10 Pro edition affected

source: http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/microsoft-removes-policies-windows-10-pro/

up until now, the Group Policy Editor would allow an administrator to modify the default behavior of their OS install via the Group Policy Editor

with the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update, MicroSoft will invalidate certain policies in Widows 10 Pro and make them available only on certain SKUs - it also invalidates the related registry entries 

disable-all-apps.jpg

Note: This setting only applies to Enterprise, Education, and Server SKUs

so far, the affected policies are:

• Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences

it controls installation of 3rd party apps and extra links; like Candy Crush Saga or Twitter app

the default behavior is that the OS will install some apps from Windows Store on it's own

• Do not show Windows Tips

the OS will display tips to the end-user on how to use certain W10 features

• Do not display the Lock Screen

by default, the Lock Screen displays certain info, like notifications and the clock

disabling the Lock Screen will instead display the Logon Screen directly

• Disable all apps from Windows Store

this policy allows the administrator to disable all (previously) installed apps via Windows Store, including the Store itself

The changes take away functionality that was previously a part of the Windows 10 Pro edition. It is without doubt an annoyance, considering that Pro users have no option anymore to disable third-party applications, links or Store apps in general on Windows 10 once the Anniversary Update is installed.

Considering that many Pro users won't be able to get Enterprise or Education versions of Windows 10, it is anything but customer friendly.

and I completely agree with them; it boggles the mind why MS is doing this

makes you wonder if Tim Sweeney's recent rant on UWP has more truth behind it than one would expect

also, if you didn't heard yet .. you'll no longer be able to turn off Cortana - not even if Cortana service isn't available in your region

Spoiler

c4jt321.png

Oh cool. The update service shall remain stopped until the end of the universe.

I'm sure these can be bypassed anyway. GPEdit can be put on the system manually and for Cortana some registry tweaks.

Just now, ModuleLFS said:

I'm sure these can be bypassed anyway. GPEdit can be put on the system manually and for Cortana some registry tweaks

haven't you read, they also disabled the related registry entries :|

Why would they do this?  I bet they will eventually combine home and pro once they've stripped pro of everything that set it apart.  So what about the people who bough pro under the assumption that they would have more power and control?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

haven't you read, they also disabled the related registry entries :|

Soz haven't had my coffee yet. Well in that case, the update service yeeah.

Wait so will I still be able to at least hide the Cortana icon or will I be stuck with that search bar or icon? I'm disapointed that turning off Cortana won't be an option but maybe there'll be some ways to block Cortana from using the internet with a firewall or something on the router like someone else in this thread said.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I don't like this... don't like it at all.

Not cool MS.. not cool.

While I don't use these group policies or really care personally, forcing silly things on the power user and small companies that many don't have an actual IT department, not cool. Those are the people you want to please, not anger. Anger them, and you'll have another Windows 8, where the power user would suggest to people not to get Win8, instead of recommending them.

Microsoft is asking for trouble.

The removal of the Lock screen GPO, is because of Windows Spotlight. It is a feature where you have tailored backgrounds based on saying what you like or don't. But every now and then, it will show an app store advertisement. These ads plays 2 roles: pay the photographers license fees, and obviously, make a bit of money on the side. You can disable Spotlight feature, and you put your own background, but I believe that is why they prevent disabling it.

Apps+Store is obvious. Microsoft wants to make money, and wants everyone to use it. Also, Ink Workspace, a new feature in Windows 10 Anniversary Update, is all Universal Apps, so that will be screwed up if you disable it.

I'll just wait and see...

There's always going to be the option of switching back to Windows 7, even though I don't want to...

6 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Wait so will I still be able to at least hide the Cortana icon or will I be stuck with that search bar or icon? I'm disapointed that turning off Cortana won't be an option but maybe there'll be some ways to block Cortana from using the internet with a firewall or something on the router like someone else in this thread said.

i'm pretty sure you can hide the cortana search bar 

what's next? Enterprise turn full subscription

you just wait

Well, it is kinda already is to be honest.

While you could pay everything in 1 shot, most company pay in installments, or a yearly subscriptions giving the freedom to use nay Windows license they want (as long as it is within the limit of number of PCs)

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

i'm pretty sure you can hide the cortana search bar 

Well maybe it won't be forced on Local accounts.

8 minutes ago, wcreek said:

The anniversary update to W10, MS is going more totalitarian dictator and forcing Cortana to be on, and stripping features from Pro, which probably includes Education which would be the version of W10 I'll use on my planned build.

8 minutes ago, Daring said:

If you sign in with a local account, Cortana is disabled and can't be enabled.

6 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Even with the anniversary update? Because the accounts on this laptop are Local accounts, I mean I have logged into my MSA a few times in the Store but I don't allow it to make the local account to be linked to the MSA.

4 minutes ago, Daring said:

Yes, even with the Anniversary update.

Apparently this is to make Cortana closer to how she works on iOS and Android, wherein you can't turn Cortana "off", but instead sign out of your MS account and still be able to use it.

So far this doesn't affect me in any way.

Kinda odd that they decided to disable those policies, though

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just now, wcreek said:

Well maybe

as far as I understand it, Cortana will take over all local search functions

Just now, zMeul said:

Well if that's the case, that kinda sucks. I just think it's dumb like why the hell does MS care so much about what I am or am not doing. Eh MS is just digging its own grave. Good thing I've gotten sort of comfortable with Debian and can easily use and enjoy Ubuntu. I just hope that more games come to Linux and maybe run better because Metro: Last Light from a video I watched it had played poorly on Linux but decently on Windows.

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Well maybe it won't be forced on Local accounts.

i do run a local admin account so that makes sense of what you say. 

It already does. Any key you hit in the box, contacts Bing servers for results.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It already does. Any key you hit in the box, contacts Bing servers for results.

right now, there are ways to terminate the Cortana process

Already switched back to 8.1 last windows ill ever use.  There's a limit to how much one can put up with MS bullcrap.

more reasons to not get win10.  They have to butcher their OS with these type anti-consumer tactics.

Ok Microsoft, I better be getting a refund for the extra $80 I paid for Windows 10 Pro. 

Also, I didn't know this, but you can leave reviews directly on Microsoft's site for Windows 10 Pro and Home. I think some people here would be very interested in doing so, especially after this mess. ;) Nothing would make me smile more than a low rating on their actual website. 

Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 Home

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.