Microsoft to miss 1 billion Windows 10 devices by 2018 target, blames Windows Phone

Master Disaster

The Redmond tech giant has spoken out about its ambitious target of getting Win 10 running on more than a billion devices (that's 1,000,000,000) by the year 2018 and they're saying they will miss that target due to the failure of Windows Phone 10 to make a significant impact. 

Microsoft has said it will miss its target of getting its Windows 10 operating system running on more than one billion devices by 2018.

In a statement, it said problems with its smartphone business would delay it hitting the milestone.

The software giant has struggled to find customers for Windows phones in a market dominated by Android and Apple.

Microsoft says Windows 10 is in active use on about 350 million separate devices at present.

Released in July 2015, Windows 10 has been built to act as a unifying platform across desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones, small embedded systems and the Xbox One games console.

Shortly before the main release of the operating system, Microsoft set itself the target of getting the software on to one billion devices.

However, its plans took a knock soon after when it sacked 7,800 people in its smartphone business and wrote off the entire value of the Nokia phone business it bought in 2014 for $7.2bn (£5.4bn).

Earlier this month, it scrapped its Finland phone unit and laid off more staff.

At the time it made the prediction about Windows 10 use, Microsoft was hoping to sell about 50 million Windows phones a year.

However, global smartphone sales figures from Kantar Worldpanel suggest Windows phones now account for only 1.6% of sales in North America and 0.4% in China - the two biggest markets for smartphones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36824687

Honestly I'm sure they'd be much closer if they weren't employing guerilla tactics to fucking ambush PC users into upgrading, their hard push has had the opposite affect and has turned more people off the upgrade. 

Plus yeah, Windows Phone 10 was pretty stillborn too. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

windows phone is a good platform technically and in terms of usability.

but with it's failure to make an impact on the market I wonder if microsoft will drop it at some point or keep pumping money into it indefinitely.

windows 7 is lief

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

20 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The Redmond tech giant has spoken out about its ambitious target of getting Win 10 running on more than a billion devices (that's 1,000,000,000) by the year 2018 and they're saying they will miss that target due to the failure of Windows Phone 10 to make a significant impact. 

Honestly I'm sure they'd be much closer if they weren't employing guerilla tactics to fucking ambush PC users into upgrading, their hard push has had the opposite affect and has turned more people off the upgrade. 

You're quite funny. it's "Windows 10 Mobile" or "Windows 10 For Phones".

Not Windows Phone 10.

And secondly. That's because Microsoft failed to deliver RTM on time for Windows 10 Mobile. They targeted December 2015 but couldn't meet the RTM deadline and so they pushed it back to March 2016.

The problem is that many people haven't upgraded from Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile because Windows 10 Mobile doesn't support some phone models.

And also Microsoft hasn't exactly advertised for Windows Phones. So what did they expect?

EDIT: Windows Phone sales have been declining and not increasing So it makes me wonder if they were naïve or if they actually knew it was going to miss the target.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Also, 10/10 Clickbait!

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I miss Word Flow on Anroid.... Swype is such.a crap.... but I just got my dream pohone so I don't see my self buying another phone for at least 3 years as long as this one doesn't break.

now they just have to pull a zune and put a bullet between it's eyes 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

If there's anything more unattractive to a consumer, it's the "in your face" tactic. Never works. Companies that fail to realize that have some major issues with their methodology.

59 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You're quite funny. it's "Windows 10 Mobile" or "Windows 10 For Phones".

Not Windows Phone 10.

It's whatever I choose to call it, pedantic much? Its like the whole Ay-zeus / Ay-suss thing, I don't care what they say I should call it, I've called it Ay-suss my whole life and I'll always call it Ay-suss. I know it's wrong and I really don't care. It was Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 so it's Windows Phone 10.

53 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also, 10/10 Clickbait!

Care to explain how? I mean they did set the target, they did state they will miss it and they did blame Windows Phone 10 sales. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Those tactics may have convinced techy people (read: people on this forum) not to upgrade, but I seriously doubt that most people decided not to upgrade because of them. Far more likely is that people don't like change and are afraid of something breaking in the processes. Plus most people aren't aware of the changes or improvements that were made. And then you have other people who don't follow tech news at all and have no idea what those windows 10 notifications even were. So from the average consumers perspective, windows 10 gets you nothing but could risk breaking something.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

you know, i'd be surprised if they'd manage to ever get 25% of the ipv4 addresses to be hooked up to a windows 10 box.

to make a comparison to show how big that 1B number is...

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you know, i'd be surprised if they'd manage to ever get 25% of the ipv4 addresses to be hooked up to a windows 10 box.

to make a comparison to show how big that 1B number is...

most outward facing IP's have multiple devices on it. in my house my external IP has 4 windows 10 machines, a nas, phones, smart TV's, ect.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

5 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

most outward facing IP's have multiple devices on it. in my house my external IP has 4 windows 10 machines, a nas, phones, smart TV's, ect.

i'd say it differently: most outward facing IPs are servers.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'd say it differently: most outward facing IPs are servers.

most homes only has 1 IP with sometimes more then 10+ devices connected. you cant relate number of IP's registered vs number of devices. it just does not work that way.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

most homes only has 1 IP with sometimes more then 10+ devices connected. you cant relate number of IP's registered vs number of devices. it just does not work that way.

i'd also say most homes, and especially corporations, have a lack of need for windows 10.

my grandpa runs linux (i hooked him up after his windows XP install dunked out again and i decided for him that XP should go out the windows ;)), pretty much the entire buisiness world is windows 7, the entirety of the server world is pretty much "windows 10 does not apply", in the mobile world android and apple are still king, compared to the "filthy peasant" windows mobile is. i'd dare to say there's more "dumbphones" out there than windows phones.

-

and the reason i compare to the amount of IPv4 addresses is because some idiots believe that there's still enough of those for the modern world. and if you'd math the amount of applicable operating systems out there, expecting 1 billion devices running just one of them, even with an average of 5 devices behind one address (which is most likely a large overstatement) is a huge, HUGE number.

Microsoft is preparing more layoffs. So stay tuned.

1st of all windows phone should have been killed a long time ago and never bought off nokia to begin with, instead MS should have focused on tablet/laptop/dekstop/server OS and actually improve it instead of giving it a makeup and say its new.

2nd they should have never forced telemetry upon people,if they wouldnt have done that i bet they now would have had twice the number of users from desktop users.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft is preparing more layoffs. So stay tuned.

next big thing: microsoft lays off one employee for every install they are short of that 1B number - MS shuts down their buisiness :P

Just now, deviant88 said:

1st of all windows phone should have been killed a long time ago and never bought off nokia to begin with, instead MS should have focused on tablet/laptop/dekstop/server OS and actually improve it instead of giving it a makeup and say its new.

2nd they should have never forced telemetry upon people,if they wouldnt have done that i bet they now would have had twice the number of users from desktop users.

i feel like that's the two big issues with win10 not doing as well as they hoped.

that said, if x86 based phones become a thing, and MS figures out the phone docks into a desktop thing, and WHEN it docks it turns into a fully fledged desktop windows while still being a capable phone off the hook...

THEN they'll have me, but until then, i dont need a fancy phone, a fancy tablet, or even a funky overpriced convertible.

--

quoting myself when they teased the surface book:

"GT940m you say? if that's a quadcore i7 they have my money" but it could not be...

Yeah I guess WP didn't show the numbers to aid that 1BN target. Hopefully they return with refined OS app support and Surface Phone would really like to see that.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also, 10/10 Clickbait!

Mind explaining how? It's exactly accurate.... They're going to miss 1b windows 10 devices, in no small part due to the failure of windows 10 mobile adoption.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Mind explaining how? It's exactly accurate.... They're going to miss 1b windows 10 devices, in no small part due to the failure of windows 10 mobile adoption.

well, there's one thing no one's factoring in tho. isnt 2018 right around the mark where win7 is supposed to go EOL?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

well, there's one thing no one's factoring in tho. isnt 2018 right around the mark where win7 is supposed to go EOL?

It's already End of Mainstream Support, it ends extended support in 2020. A good move, imo. Don't want to wind up with another XP.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

EOL was like 2015 or early 2016.

No real support for it now. Unless you are a multi million dollar company which I sincerely doubt.