Will my gtx1070 bottleneck the i5-6600K?

xLee
Go to solution Solved by ace_cheaply,
25 minutes ago, THawkSonYo said:

-snip-

Not my topic, it's xlee's. I agree, his rig is good, and he'll have a good experience, and I helped him to get the best experience possible.  However, when Don was responding, it was about have the BEST experience possible, which is with an i7.  Not that his experience won't be good, but that it could possibly be better in some instances.  I'm sure @xLee will be great, and enjoy his new pc. That still doesn't invalidate the fact that it could be a little better. I understand that you are correct in saying he will only see these instances in extreme circumstances, but when you're trying to run 144hz those come up a little more often. I discussed the ways to mitigate that with xlee in the cases it shows up, and so I have no doubt he'll have a great time with the i5.  But the cases exist where there is stuttering from running out of cpu. I have an i7, and I'll be getting a 1070 in the mail today, so no jealousy on this front.

2 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Yes, I claimed that GTA V & FC4 are noticeable.

Crysis 3 is a 9% increase. Witcher 3 is a 4% increase.

Still a notable bottleneck. And those games are not the only ones - DOOM, Warhammer and more.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

There are a few chips that top out at 4.2 but generally 4.3 is the average.

Wow, been a while since I looked into it, but everything I seen was 4.5-4.6.  Must have gotten some duds later on.  My 6700k can reach 4.8@ 1.39V stable but I need a little beefier cooling solution because my temps got 85. 1.32V, 4.7ghz is the sweet spot to my chip, but that's only .08V more than stock 1.24.

3 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Yes, I claimed that GTA V & FC4 are noticeable.

Crysis 3 is a 9% increase. Witcher 3 is a 4% increase. Neither of those matter. 

It matters - cause when the more demanding games of 2017 come round it will cripple his performance and stutter like no tomorrow.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

You keep doing this.

Running a 1070 at 1080p is half retarded already. The higher the resolution, the less of a bottleneck. 

Oh well. I just wanted to buy a good card that would serve me for a couple of years. 
But let's make a conclusion guys. I'll give you some more information about my situation and you can give me your opinion. 

I've ordered this cpu from Amazon.de. I am living in Belgium, so returning the i5 back to buy the i7 would take a good amount of time. My gpu, I ordered it also from Amazon.de, so returning it holds the same reason as my cpu. And at last, my monitor, which I received yesterday (bought in my Belgium), but it's worth mentioning that I'm not really willing to pay an extra 300 euros for a 4K monitor. With that said I would like to hear your opinions on what to do now. 

2 minutes ago, xLee said:

Oh well. I just wanted to buy a good card that would serve me for a couple of years. 
But let's make a conclusion guys. I'll give you some more information about my situation and you can give me your opinion. 

I've ordered this cpu from Amazon.de. I am living in Belgium, so returning the i5 back to buy the i7 would take a good amount of time. My gpu, I ordered it also from Amazon.de, so returning it holds the same reason as my cpu. And at last, my monitor, which I received yesterday (bought in my Belgium), but it's worth mentioning that I'm not really willing to pay an extra 300 euros for a 4K monitor. With that said I would like to hear your opinions on what to do now. 

OC the crap out of the i5

5 minutes ago, xLee said:

The 1070 will bottleneck at 1080p, enough to matter? up to you to decide, you can always use render scaling to simulate a higher resolution and decrease the bottleneck. You won't be getting more FPS, but you will be increasing the graphic fidelity without losing much FPS. 

A 1070 is right at home on a 1440p monitor. If you want high FPS at 1080p, the CPU tends to be the weaker link in this equation. 

12 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Still a notable bottleneck. And those games are not the only ones - DOOM, Warhammer and more.

Hardly notable when both games are getting basically 100 fps. And also 3-2 fps might be in the margin of error. An i7 would obviously be better but it's hardly the end of the world. The i5 he ordered is unlocked so he can quite easily reduce the bottleneck. 

1 minute ago, david cassar said:

Hardly notable when both games are getting basically 100 fps. And also 3-2 fps might be in the margin of error. An i7 would obviously be better but it's hardly the end of the world. The i5 he ordered is unlocked so he can quite easily reduce the bottleneck. 

Exactly - I told him to OC it and make the bottleneck as small as possible - at stock the difference in minimums is vast.

I don't really understand what everyone is talking about here, of course the 1070 is going to bottleneck a 6600k. The grand majority of games would still be bottlenecked by 2x 1080's not the CPU. Its not going to always be true and with top end SLI its only true in about 60% of games that show scaling but the reality is that almost all games are bottlenecked by the GPU. We could use 3-4 GPUs if there weren't other issues with getting scaling out of them.

I think you have potentially asked the wrong question, or the others in this thread seem to be answering a different question anyway which is where I am becoming confused with what is happening.

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

OC the crap out of the i5

As a first time overclocker, do you have any good, let's say, youtube tutorials on how to properly overclock your CPU? Because as I'm a rookie in doing this, I don't want to burn my cpu without maybe noticing it. 

PS: Will overclocking my cpu or even gpu, result in decrease of durability? 

As a first time overclocker, do you have any good, let's say, youtube tutorials on how to properly overclock your CPU? Because as I'm a rookie in doing this, I don't want to burn my cpu without maybe noticing it. 

PS: Will overclocking my cpu or even gpu, result in decrease of durability? 

You'll be fine. Just check out JayzTwoCents on youtube - he has a guide on the subject

4 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

I don't really understand what everyone is talking about here, of course the 1070 is going to bottleneck a 6600k. The grand majority of games would still be bottlenecked by 2x 1080's not the CPU. Its not going to always be true and with top end SLI its only true in about 60% of games or so that show scaling but the reality is that almost all games are bottlenecked by the GPU. We could use 3-4 GPUs if there weren't other issues with getting scaling out of them.

I think you have potentially asked the wrong question, or the others in this thread seem to be answering a different question anyway which is where I am becoming confused with what is happening.

I just want to know if I will be having a smooth gaming experience on a 1080p 144hz monitor with my i5-6600k and gtx1070 on ULTRA setting. That's actually all.

I just want to know if I will be having a smooth gaming experience on a 1080p 144hz monitor with my i5-6600k and gtx1070 on ULTA setting. That's actually all.

Smooth 144fps? No. When the CPU gets maxed you will feel it quite easily. You WANT to get it to 4.5 to reduce the issue to a minimum

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Smooth 144fps? No. When the CPU gets maxed you will feel it quite easily. You WANT to get it to 4.5 to reduce the issue to a minimum

Alright. So overclocking it is :)

36 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

That's lowest FPS, not average.

Yes, there will be more frame dips in games that can utilize the i7s threads. That's expected. But the average FPS between a Skylake i7 & a Skylake i5 won't be noticeable.

OP, don't worry about it.

ONOTech, can you somewhat agree on the statements that don_svetlio is making? 

4 minutes ago, xLee said:

Alright. So overclocking it is :)

And you could also lock your fps to get a smoother fps with less notable stuttering. It helps quite a lot.

6 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

But maybe at last. If you were in my shoes right now. Would you consider returning the i5 back to Germany in replacement of an i7-6700? (the i5 hasn't even arrived yet, I made the order 2 days ago)

2 minutes ago, david cassar said:

And you could also lock your fps to get a smoother fps with less notable stuttering. It helps quite a lot.

I suppose locking my fps on 144 would be the best option right? Since I have a 144hz monitor. 

1 minute ago, xLee said:

I suppose locking my fps on 144 would be the best option right? Since I have a 144hz monitor. 

You'd have to lock it at a lower framerate one which the 1070 could easily mantain. Say 90 or something like that. You could do this by using something called rivatuner.

3 minutes ago, david cassar said:

You'd have to lock it at a lower framerate one which the 1070 could easily mantain. Say 90 or something like that. You could do this by using something called rivatuner.

But isn't that the whole point of an 144hz monitor? To get crispier looks?

Or do you want to say by locking it at a lower fps, that my GPU and CPU won't handle the 144 fps?

But isn't that the whole point of an 144hz monitor? To get crispier looks?

Or do you want to say by locking it at a lower fps, that my GPU and CPU won't handle the 144 fps?

Only in some games when you get noticeable stuttering I would reccomend locking the framerate. But as you can see from the graphs they posted a gtx titan x overclocked (same performance of a 1070) can't always get 144 fps at 1080p with everything on ultra. You will still get very high framerates and there is a difference between 100 fps and 60 fps.

3 minutes ago, david cassar said:

Only in some games when you get noticeable stuttering I would reccomend locking the framerate. But as you can see from the graphs they posted a gtx titan x overclocked (same performance of a 1070) can't always get 144 fps at 1080p with everything on ultra. You will still get very high framerates and there is a difference between 100 fps and 60 fps.

But I won't see the difference if I'll be getting 100fps in stead of the full 144fps on 1080p right?

10 minutes ago, xLee said:

But I won't see the difference if I'll be getting 100fps in stead of the full 144fps on 1080p right?

You will. The way it works is that if you are getting fluctuation between 90 and 200 you will either have to endure horrible screen tearing or stutter due to V-sync. You COULD get G-sync but that costs a lot more. In all honesty - you are in quite the pickle

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

You will. The way it works is that if you are getting fluctuation between 90 and 200 you will either have to endure horrible screen tearing or stutter due to V-sync. You COULD get G-sync but that costs a lot more. In all honesty - you are in quite the pickle

In all honesty GSYNC is pretty awesome. I can tell the second it isn't being used. But yeah it's expensive and locks you into buying Nvidia cards. Being locked into Nvidia is the worse of the two in my opinion.

I agree that high fps helps way more in shooters than open world games. My 989ti has no issues with giving me the fps needed to run 1440 at 144hz. With the price premium I have to vote 1070. They overclock nicely and save you a grip when compared to the 1080. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

In all honesty GSYNC is pretty awesome. I can tell the second it isn't being used. But yeah it's expensive and locks you into buying Nvidia cards. Being locked into Nvidia is the worse of the two in my opinion.

I agree that high fps helps way more in shooters than open world games. My 989ti has no issues with giving me the fps needed to run 1440 at 144hz. With the price premium I have to vote 1070. They overclock nicely and save you a grip when compared to the 1080. 

But you have an i7 and no bottlenecks. Imagine if your CPU was 30% slower and occasionally you dipped to 70fps?