Will my gtx1070 bottleneck the i5-6600K?

xLee
Go to solution Solved by ace_cheaply,
25 minutes ago, THawkSonYo said:

-snip-

Not my topic, it's xlee's. I agree, his rig is good, and he'll have a good experience, and I helped him to get the best experience possible.  However, when Don was responding, it was about have the BEST experience possible, which is with an i7.  Not that his experience won't be good, but that it could possibly be better in some instances.  I'm sure @xLee will be great, and enjoy his new pc. That still doesn't invalidate the fact that it could be a little better. I understand that you are correct in saying he will only see these instances in extreme circumstances, but when you're trying to run 144hz those come up a little more often. I discussed the ways to mitigate that with xlee in the cases it shows up, and so I have no doubt he'll have a great time with the i5.  But the cases exist where there is stuttering from running out of cpu. I have an i7, and I'll be getting a 1070 in the mail today, so no jealousy on this front.

7 minutes ago, xLee said:

I can link you the video, the testing starts around 3:45. (It's in Russian btw) You can see the graphs in the top left corner.

And, he was using a founders 1070.

Unlike me, I ordered the gigabyte g1 Gaming 1070.

You can see higher fps from the i7 through the whole video.  Kind of answers the bottleneck question, I think. 

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Yeah, it's a bottleneck

So every game where the GPU usage is lower than 99% is considered as a bottleneck? 

1 minute ago, xLee said:

So every game where the GPU usage is lower than 99% is considered as a bottleneck? 

More or less

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

8 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

You can see higher fps from the i7 through the whole video.  Kind of answers the bottleneck question, I think. 

Yeah but, that's ok, it still gives the required fps to have a smooth gaming experience. Even though it's a bit less with the i5. 

I'm totally ok with that. But I haven't really seen the stuttering or tearing during those gameplays like you guys mentioned

2 minutes ago, xLee said:

Yeah but, that's ok, it still gives the required fps to have a smooth gaming experience. Even though it's a bit less with the i5. 

I'm totally ok with that. But I haven't really seen the stuttering or tearing during those gameplays like you guys mentioned

You can't see that on video usually. I've never been able to see it on video at least. Also - if that's the case now, imagine next year when games are even more demanding and the Zen 8-core CPUs come out with 16 threads each. i5s will get annihilated easily.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

5 minutes ago, xLee said:

Well, you're watching youtube videos, not actually imputing controls into a game. It's a different experience when you're playing it.  That said, i rarely notice tearing, it's the stuttering that gets me. And, also mentioned before, it's not all the time, and it's not in every game.  You might not notice it at all in some games.  Others, it might be every minute or so, or more or less frequent.  The point is, only you can decide if however often that occurs is worth $100 dollars (or whatever the difference is there), or if you can live with that occasional stutter.  

6 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Well, you're watching youtube videos, not actually imputing controls into a game. It's a different experience when you're playing it.  That said, i rarely notice tearing, it's the stuttering that gets me. 

And is there anything I can do about that? 
Someone mentioned earlier to download some kind of program that virtually increases my resolution so that the GPU usage stays 99%. 

Do you know anything about that kind of a program and whether it's safe to use?

5 minutes ago, xLee said:

And is there anything I can do about that? 
Someone mentioned earlier to download some kind of program that virtually increases my resolution so that the GPU usage stays 99%. 

Do you know anything about that kind of a program and wheter it's safe to use?

You can overclock the 6600K to the gills for one.  Increasing the resolution will decrease frame rate, which is the exact opposite of why you got a 144hz and 1070 in the first place, right? But if you did want to, you don't need to download another program to do that. You can do it through Geforce Control Panel.  It's usually safe, but it is possible to mess up old monitors.  I have done it on every monitor I've ever used, for some length of time, at least. Just follow this guide.

9 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Well, you're watching youtube videos, not actually imputing controls into a game. It's a different experience when you're playing it.  That said, i rarely notice tearing, it's the stuttering that gets me. And, also mentioned before, it's not all the time, and it's not in every game.  You might not notice it at all in some games.  Others, it might be every minute or so, or more or less frequent.  The point is, only you can decide if however often that occurs is worth $100 dollars (or whatever the difference is there), or if you can live with that occasional stutter.  

Would I have the same problem if I've had chosen the RX480 in stead of 1070?

3 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

You can overclock the 6600K to the gills for one.  Increasing the resolution will decrease frame rate, which is the exact opposite of why you got a 144hz and 1070 in the first place, right? But if you did want to, you don't need to download another program to do that. You can do it through Geforce Control Panel.  It's usually safe, but it is possible to mess up old monitors.  I have done it on every monitor I've ever used, for some length of time, at least. Just follow this guide.

The monitor I've bought is the BenQ XL2411Z

2 minutes ago, xLee said:

Would I have the same problem if I've had chosen the RX480 in stead of 1070?

Well, no.  The 480 would be running pegged all the time with cpu overhead to spare.  That doesn't mean it's the superior choice though.  It wouldn't be able to do 1080p 144hz at medium settings, let alone max settings.  The 1070 isn't there either for all games, but it's a hell of a lot closer than the 480. 

4 minutes ago, xLee said:

The monitor I've bought is the BenQ XL2411Z

If you just set the monitor to 100hz using the BEN-Q GROM system, you likely avoid all the problems, and still get a buttery smooth experience.  Especially if you're willing to turn just a couple settings down a notch in the most demanding games to maintain that 100 or 120hz rate. 

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Well, no.  The 480 would be running pegged all the time with cpu overhead to spare.  That doesn't mean it's the superior choice though.  It wouldn't be able to do 1080p 144hz at medium settings, let alone max settings.  The 1070 isn't there either for all games, but it's a hell of a lot closer than the 480. 

And should I always cap my fps on 144? Or going above that is also fine.

I like to play csgo competitively, and sometimes I see people who are running at 300fps..

1 minute ago, xLee said:

And should I always cap my fps on 144? Or going above that is also fine.

I like to play csgo competitively, and sometimes I see people who are running at 300fps..

There are no monitors that run 300fps, so going above that isn't really helpful. It's the dips and peaks below and above your monitor's refresh rate that cause screen tearing in the first place, where the gpu tries to render more or less frames than the monitor can output.  Since it's not gsync, really you should either cap it at 144 in games like cs:go and titles where you can hit 144 with max settings, or at 100 hz in AAA titles that are more demanding.  Alternatively, you could turn down graphical settings and maintain the higher refresh rate.  

4 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

If you just set the monitor to 100hz using the BEN-Q GROM system, you likely avoid all the problems, and still get a buttery smooth experience.  Especially if you're willing to turn just a couple settings down a notch in the most demanding games to maintain that 100 or 120hz rate. 

So just to sum up what I need to do: 

1) Test a game with factory clocks of the gpu, cpu, and ram

2) If stutters appear, overclock the cpu to around 4.5GHz

3) If it still stutters, overclock RAM

4)If it still stutters in most of the games, adjust monitor hertz

Do you agree with this? 

3 minutes ago, xLee said:

Do you agree with this? 

If you want to keep the 6600K, this is what I would do.  BTW, I'm not sure if you have said what you're cooling solution is or not, but you'll need a decent one. 

4 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

There are no monitors that run 300fps, so going above that isn't really helpful. It's the dips and peaks below and above your monitor's refresh rate that cause screen tearing in the first place, where the gpu tries to render more or less frames than the monitor can output.  Since it's not gsync, really you should either cap it at 144 in games like cs:go and titles where you can hit 144 with max settings, or at 100 hz in AAA titles that are more demanding.  Alternatively, you could turn down graphical settings and maintain the higher refresh rate.  

So, to get the best picture, is to have your refresh rate and your fps the same, am I right?

So for example: 100fps -> 100hz, 120fps -> 120hz etc.

1 minute ago, xLee said:

So, to get the best picture, is to have your refresh rate and your fps the same, am I right?

So for example: 100fps -> 100hz, 120fps -> 120hz etc.

Yep.  1hz=1fps, so to have the smoothest experience you want them synced up.  That's why g-sync and free sync are so cool, because they adjust the refresh rate of the monitor to match the fps of the gpu, always maintaining that smooth synchronization of the two.

10 minutes ago, xLee said:

Do you agree with this? 

Oh yeah, don't forget to monitor gpu and cpu usage with Afterburner, and OC that 1070 too. :) Use real temp or hwmonitor to check the temps on the cpu for the overclocking.  Aida 64 offers stress testing, cinebench 15 for checking results, 3d mark firestrike on steam to test gpu oc's and compare systems to others, lots of other free testing/benchmarking software to validate, and compare stock and overclock results.  Unigine heaven and valley, et cetera. 

3 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Oh yeah, don't forget to monitor gpu and cpu usage with Afterburner, and OC that 1070 too. :) 

Isn't overclocking my 1070 going to bring even more stutter? Since it's gonna be even more faster than my CPU can handle?

1 minute ago, xLee said:

Isn't overclocking my 1070 going to bring even more stutter? Since it's gonna be even more faster than my CPU can handle?

Not in all games, only in cpu intensive games.  For the games where the cpu can give the gpu all it can handle, it might make the difference between 100hz with max settings or 120hz with max settings or 144hz with high instead of medium, et cetera. 

14 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

If you want to keep the 6600K, this is what I would do.  BTW, I'm not sure if you have said what you're cooling solution is or not, but you'll need a decent one. 

I have ordered a  be quiet! Shadow pure rock CPU cooler and my case will be a Phanteks enthoo pro M Windowed.

Also my psu is a be quiet Pure Power 9 600 W

guys GET OVER IT, a i5 is not good enough for a 1070, END OF STORY. It is like paring a super nice sports car with a old lady that likes to drive slowly, she is not going to take full advantage of the car.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, THawkSonYo said:

it is not going to bottle neck the way you are expressing it will, he can easily overclock it being its  a K series, ( overclocking requires proper cooling)  it will be fine.

Op you should have gotten a slightly more powerful psu if anything. PSU is vital for overclocking.

That psu does have a little more instability than you'd like according to jonnyguru

4 minutes ago, xLee said:

I have ordered a  be quiet! Shadow pure rock CPU cooler and my case will be a Phanteks enthoo pro M Windowed.

Also my psu is a be quiet Pure Power 9 600 W

That cpu cooler should do fine for 4.5ghz, probably not too much more. Luckily the 1070 should only draw ~200 watts overclock, with 100 watts for the cpu and ~50w for fans and drive and bays and such, you should only be at 60% of capacity.  Wouldn't run sli on it, but it should be ok for single gpu.  You might think about getting another one, as the psu would certainly be the weak link in your system. 

2 minutes ago, THawkSonYo said:

Calm down

Don't you have an i5?

And how do you know i have an i5 again?

a i5 is fine for Rx 480 and down.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.