Will my gtx1070 bottleneck the i5-6600K?

xLee
Go to solution Solved by ace_cheaply,
25 minutes ago, THawkSonYo said:

-snip-

Not my topic, it's xlee's. I agree, his rig is good, and he'll have a good experience, and I helped him to get the best experience possible.  However, when Don was responding, it was about have the BEST experience possible, which is with an i7.  Not that his experience won't be good, but that it could possibly be better in some instances.  I'm sure @xLee will be great, and enjoy his new pc. That still doesn't invalidate the fact that it could be a little better. I understand that you are correct in saying he will only see these instances in extreme circumstances, but when you're trying to run 144hz those come up a little more often. I discussed the ways to mitigate that with xlee in the cases it shows up, and so I have no doubt he'll have a great time with the i5.  But the cases exist where there is stuttering from running out of cpu. I have an i7, and I'll be getting a 1070 in the mail today, so no jealousy on this front.

4 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

That psu does have a little more instability than you'd like according to jonnyguru

That cpu cooler should do fine for 4.5ghz, probably not too much more. Luckily the 1070 should only draw ~200 watts overclock, with 100 watts for the cpu and ~50w for fans and drive and bays and such, you should only be at 60% of capacity.  Wouldn't run sli on it, but it should be ok for single gpu.  You might think about getting another one, as the psu would certainly be the weak link in your system. 

The whole pc build was ordered 2 days ago.. So yeah, can't really change now

1 minute ago, xLee said:

The whole pc build was ordered 2 days ago.. So yeah, can't really change now

I know that, I meant in the future. 

1 minute ago, THawkSonYo said:

I am sure he will be happy, and can always buy an i7 later on if he chooses

a 7700k, if the rumors are true that kaby lake will work with z170.

1 minute ago, ace_cheaply said:

We have no solid information about that. But we know the limits of the 6600K and a 1070 is too much even for that one

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Sweet case btw, you will like it.

6 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

We have no solid information about that. But we know the limits of the 6600K and a 1070 is too much even for that one

I've already stated my position on that, and I agree.  OP seems decided to at least give the 6600K a shot, so it is what it is, I helped him with that.   

And no, no solid information, but there are lots of rumors, so it gives me hope that it's true. We know it's lga 1151 at least. Not that I'll replace my 6700K, but still. 

34 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

You know what is funny is that when it first came out, GTA V ran 40 fps on my G3258 @ 4.5ghz pretty well, dips to mid 30's, spikes to high 50's.  I played the whole thing through, didn't really have any complaints on a low end rig.  As they "optimized" the game, the G3258 is lucky to get 25fps, and stutters like it has a speech impediment.  LOL.  It runs better on my main rig, but way worse on that.

That's because they changed the way things are rendered and made it multi-threaded. It increased overall performance but left old systems in the dust. Something I'd argue we need to achieve better results.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I am going to end this thread in ONE post now. A i5 will bottleneck it in some games like GTA V and that is just how it is, it is not a very balanced pairing and the problems will only get bigger with new AAA games in the future. Sure you can use a i5 6600k with a 1070, but you need to OC it to get the bottleneck smaller. It will still bottleneck the 1070 in some games, NOT ALL.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

25 minutes ago, THawkSonYo said:

-snip-

Not my topic, it's xlee's. I agree, his rig is good, and he'll have a good experience, and I helped him to get the best experience possible.  However, when Don was responding, it was about have the BEST experience possible, which is with an i7.  Not that his experience won't be good, but that it could possibly be better in some instances.  I'm sure @xLee will be great, and enjoy his new pc. That still doesn't invalidate the fact that it could be a little better. I understand that you are correct in saying he will only see these instances in extreme circumstances, but when you're trying to run 144hz those come up a little more often. I discussed the ways to mitigate that with xlee in the cases it shows up, and so I have no doubt he'll have a great time with the i5.  But the cases exist where there is stuttering from running out of cpu. I have an i7, and I'll be getting a 1070 in the mail today, so no jealousy on this front.

16 minutes ago, THawkSonYo said:

-snip-

well there will still be a bottleneck when you OC it, but it will be smaller.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I think you mean "will my i5 6700k bottleneck my gtx 1070" not the otherway around.