Teens smoking?

LizardsAreOP

I'm in my last year of school. In NZ, at least where I live anyway, there is very little smoking. In fact - I haven't seen anyone smoking in the past few months that I can remember. I'm not saying it doesn't happen though, you do get some people who are hooked into it. But it's rare for me to come across them.

I smoked cigarettes through my teens and some of my 20's until my left lung just decided to randomly collapse one day, sitting in hospital with tubes coming out of your chest is a hell of an incentive to quit :) 

Not to mention the fact that the cigarettes i smoked back then were $5 a pack and now they're like $25 a pack lol fuck spending $25 a day to slowly kill myself.   

19 hours ago, Starrzy said:

And pot isn't? You're still inhaling smoke which has to be bad for you. And don't bring up there's bongs!11! I know that. It still makes you totally out of it which cause things like car accidents. Did you know ever since Colorado legalized it, their car accidents sky-rocketed? It honestly blows my mind that someone successful like you does that.

Of course there will be irresponsible idiots who smoke and drive, just like idiots who drink and drive. However, did you know that ever since Colorado legalized it, crime has gone down and millions of dollars have been funded to schools off of taxing marijuana? 

16 hours ago, NavyCuda said:

Can you substantiate that claim please?  Tobacco contains many chemicals, many of which are removed or reduced during the curing process.

Where my brother lives a cig pack is about $2 and they are SLIM but they are the worst thing ever like the tobacco is so strong and non pure its impossible to imagine

7 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

they LITERALLY kill people

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/effects_cig_smoking/

Cigarette smoking causes more than 480,000 deaths each year in the United States. This is nearly one in five deaths

Smoking causes more deaths each year than the following causes combined:
Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
Illegal drug use
Alcohol use
Motor vehicle injuries
Firearm-related incidents

More than 10 times as many U.S. citizens have died prematurely from cigarette smoking than have died in all the wars fought by the United States during its history.

still enjoying that puff of smoke? the one that is extremely like to give you cancer, make you ill, possibly shorten your life, or maybe even KILL you

Cigs cause cancer thats true but there are people who smoke there hole life and have healthy lungs,but the number of those people is very slim...

We dont know if weed causes cancer some say yes,some say no but we will have to wait...but we know cigs are the worst...

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

1 hour ago, Daniel0898 said:

Of course there will be irresponsible idiots who smoke and drive, just like idiots who drink and drive. However, did you know that ever since Colorado legalized it, crime has gone down and millions of dollars have been funded to schools off of taxing marijuana? 

Really does not matter if its legalized if it is or not,those who are crazy to smoke weed and drive will do it either it be legal or illegal

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

2 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Where my brother lives a cig pack is about $2 and they are SLIM but they are the worst thing ever like the tobacco is so strong and non pure its impossible to imagine

Cigs cause cancer thats true but there are people who smoke there hole life and have healthy lungs,but the number of those people is very slim...

We dont know if weed causes cancer some say yes,some say no but we will have to wait...but we know cigs are the worst...

Just dont smoke anything

there is always the story of somebody smoking 200 a day and being fine, , fuck there is a man that eats glass - something that would kill 99.999% of people if they tried

that doesnt change the statistics

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

20 hours ago, LizardsAreOP said:

It just bothers me to see my brother growing in such a generation that is broken...teens 13-15 thru his town selling drugs and smoking cigars and hookah...i dont love smoking,i hate smoking and i dont hang out with friends who smoke and if they smoke i strictly try to keep them away and the minimum! do you if your 12-15 live with this or if you have a bother or somebody is it like this in your town?

A lot of people at that age smoke and I have some friends who smoke.

I don't care if someone smokes, it doesn't bother me.

Drugs though that's another thing, I don't hang out with that kind of people.

4 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Just dont smoke anything

there is always the story of somebody smoking 200 a day and being fine, , fuck there is a man that eats glass - something that would kill 99.999% of people if they tried

that doesnt change the statistics

There are people who eat glass,eat steel eat all kinds of weird stuff but they really cant change statistics since the number of them is slim and should not be looked up...

2 minutes ago, as96 said:

A lot of people at that age smoke and I have some friends who smoke.

I don't care if someone smokes, it doesn't bother me.

Drugs though that's another thing, I don't hang out with that kind of people.

Cigs are literally drugs when you look at it...its just that it was legalized along time ago that people are used to it...i cant help the world from stopping them smoking but we can make them healthier for people who want to smoke by simply removing all that stuff that is not needed...

1 minute ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Cigs are literally drugs when you look at it...its just that it was legalized along time ago that people are used to it...i cant help the world from stopping them smoking but we can make them healthier for people who want to smoke by simply removing all that stuff that is not needed...

So is coffee, tea, alchool, sugars and lots of other stuff, you can get addicted on basically anything you want.

Smoke is bad for your health sure, but honestly I don't care what you do with your life, you can do whatever you want.

But I don't want to be involved with people who take drugs.

I'm a personal freedoms guy; their body, their rules. 

However I dont date women who smoke. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Let people do what they want. No one is entitled to make decisions for other people (as long as we're within the limits of the law). Your brothers generation is no worse than what everyone else went through, maybe you're just more aware now. I grew up on a street with several dealers and criminals just a few houses down, lord knows I turned out mostly fine (other than being a grumpy bastard of course).

1 minute ago, as96 said:

So is coffee, tea, alchool, sugars and lots of other stuff, you can get addicted on basically anything you want.

Smoke is bad for your health sure, but honestly I don't care what you do with your life, you can do whatever you want.

But I don't want to be involved with people who take drugs.

coffee is a psychoactive drug,tea is a drug,alcohol is a drug but we really cant compare the damage

3 minutes ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

Let people do what they want. No one is entitled to make decisions for other people (as long as we're within the limits of the law). Your brothers generation is no worse than what everyone else went through, maybe you're just more aware now. I grew up on a street with several dealers and criminals just a few houses down, lord knows I turned out mostly fine (other than being a grumpy bastard of course).

I am entitled to make decisions for my brother since i dont want him to end up like a drug dealer or have cancer....

coffee is a psychoactive drug,tea is a drug,alcohol is a drug but we really cant compare the damage

I am entitled to make decisions for my brother since i dont want him to end up like a drug dealer or have cancer....

You absolutely are not. Your parents are, until he's 18, but you have no say what so ever in what he decides to do. You can nudge him in the right direction, but you don't get to make decisions for him.

Your brother's generation? Tobacco use among younths have been in a pretty steady decline in the west since the 1980's. 

There are less people who take up smoking today than in your grandparents time. 

The same thing is true for general drug use.

I would like to join the ´your body your choice´ - club.

I couldn't possibly morally justify outlawing tobacco. 

9 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

No you're not. Your brother is an individual and can therefor make choices of his own. Depending on his age and, the laws of the country you live in, your parents might also have say.

You can voice your concern to your brother, but ultimatly, it's his choice whether or not he smokes.

Also, don't think it's a bit of a slippery slope fallacy to say that your brother smoking will end up with him becoming a drug dealer.

I have known my fair share of drug dealers, and a lot of them didn't smoke anything. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

2 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

Yes, you can't compare the damages, I wasn't trying to, BUT what I was trying to say is... smoke is technically a drug although it only damages the smoker and it doesn't not impact the user's mind in a way that could harm other people, and is not going to cause legal issues.

In the end it's their life, if they want to fuck it up so be it as long their decisions don't impact other people's lives. 

11 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

coffee is a psychoactive drug,tea is a drug

Tea and Coffee are not drugs. They, as well as sodas, energy drinks/shots, and many other things, are just delivery methods for caffeine which is the psychoactive drug that you speak of. 

15 minutes ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

I have to agree with @LizardsAreOP's stance on this (see below) because his little brother is a minor, but I have to stipulate that he is taking it to the extreme, with a very liberal definition of when that entitlement should occur.

11 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

For the record, that is not why you are entitled to make decisions for him. You are entitled to make decisions for him only when necessary to protect his life or wellbeing where he cannot do so. What you just said is "I can make decisions for him because I want to". This is never the case as it removes freewill.

In other words: When your little bro is being attacked you can make the decision to run for him. I can promise you that if you go around being unnecessarily authoritative to your little brother he's going to lose respect for you, and then you won't be able to do anything to help him. The only thing you can do is stop toking yourself and lead by example. Have you ever paused to think that maybe the reason he does things like that is because you do things like that and he looks up to you?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

4 minutes ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

You absolutely are not. Your parents are, until he's 18, but you have no say what so ever in what he decides to do. You can nudge him in the right direction, but you don't get to make decisions for him.

My mom is nearly 60 how can she watch him? my dad is 64,I can make decisions for him since he does not know the aftermath he wants me to pay him his kick box and basketball training and he wishes to become the curry 2 but how is he supposed to do all that if he smokes?

2 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Your brother's generation? Tobacco use among younths have been in a pretty steady decline in the west since the 1980's. 

There are less people who take up smoking today than in your grandparents time. 

The same thing is true for general drug use.

I would like to join the ´your body your choice´ - club.

I couldn't possibly morally justify outlawing tobacco. 

No you're not. Your brother is an individual and can therefor make choices of his own (or potentially your parents). 

You can voice your concern to your brother, but ultimatly, it's his choice whether or not he smokes.

Also, don't think it's a bit of a slippery slope fallacy to say that your brother smoking will end up with him becoming a drug dealer.

I have known my fair share of drug dealers, and a lot of them didn't smoke anything. 

2002...then if people really want my brother make his own decisions fine them...ill just leave him and never pay his kick box or basketball training since "he has parents" and if he becomes a smoker i will never talk to him since he promised me he wont smoke...

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Tea and Coffee are not drugs. They, as well as sodas, energy drinks/shots, and many other things, are just delivery methods for caffeine which is the psychoactive drug that you speak of. 

I have to agree with @LizardsAreOP's stance on this (see below) because his little brother is a minor, but I have to stipulate that he is taking it to the extreme, with a very liberal definition of when that entitlement should occur.

Coffee is not a psychoactive drug,caffeine is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug you are correct my mistake

Caffeine, contained in coffee and other beverages, is the most widely used psychoactive drug in the world. 

6 minutes ago, as96 said:

don't impact other people's lives. 

So instead of trying to help them i should just leave them inhale cancer?

5 hours ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Who gives a fuck, we're all slowly dying anyway. Fuck it man lifes way too short to worry too much.

It shortens your life so less time for fun,less time with your kids,less time for everything + if you do and get cancer or anything other you will be in pain...i rather live 80 years without pain rather than living 40-50-60 years with pain and just being bored and always down

5 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

I don't know how old you are, but there's a very important lesson to be learned here: The best way to lead is by example. If you really want your brother to quit that lifestyle, you should quit it yourself, and then sit down and talk to him about why you quit.

Have you paused to think that maybe one of the reasons that he lives that lifestyle is because some of the people that he looks up to live similar lifestyles? 

Beyond that, you are trying to decide his opinions on something for him. This will never work and will just drive a stake between you and him. Ultimately the only things you can do that won't ruin your relationship with him are leading by example and showing him the potential consequences of his actions in a non-authoritative way.

Yes, their lives, their choices.

You can tell them how you feel about it, try to push them away from it, but in the end, it's NOT up you.

9 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

In other words: When your little bro is being attacked you can make the decision to run for him. I can promise you that if you go around being unnecessarily authoritative to your little brother he's going to lose respect for you, and then you won't be able to do anything to help him. The only thing you can do is stop toking yourself and lead by example. Have you ever paused to think that maybe the reason he does things like that is because you do things like that and he looks up to you?

1.I dont smoke cigs or anything else than weed and i smoke it rarely when im down

2.He does not know but he knows im strictly against cigs because 1.Its bad 2.Because his lungs are not strong enough to take any tip of smoke

4 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I don't know how old you are, but there's a very important lesson to be learned here: The best way to lead is by example. If you really want your brother to quit that lifestyle, you should quit it yourself, and then sit down and talk to him about why you quit.

Have you paused to think that maybe one of the reasons that he lives that lifestyle is because some of the people that he looks up to live similar lifestyles? 

Beyond that, you are trying to decide his opinions on something for him. This will never work and will just drive a stake between you and him. Ultimately the only things you can do that won't ruin your relationship with him are leading by example and showing him the potential consequences of his actions in a non-authoritative way.

I never started it,i think of cigs and weed as different as i said he does not know and i will tell him when he grows up to understand me...i dont want him to smoke cigs because cigs are the worst and because at his age his lungs are not strong enough

6 minutes ago, as96 said:

Yes, their lives, their choices.

You can tell them how you feel about it, try to push them away from it, but in the end, it's NOT up you.

Its not their life,its the worlds and gods life,i try to push them away and i have pushed away 3 of my friends because they started seeing i was right and what smoking daily does

4 minutes ago, LizardsAreOP said:

I never started it,i think of cigs and weed as different as i said he does not know and i will tell him when he grows up to understand me...i dont want him to smoke cigs because cigs are the worst and because at his age his lungs are not strong enough

Look, you have good intentions. And I'll say this, it's acceptable to push the issue every once in a while. But, from my own experience, if you act authoritative he will lose respect for you. It will ruin your relationship with him, and that's all there is to it. You have to decide what's more important: The miniscule chance that he will accept your imposed authority, or having a relationship with him at all?

Ultimately though, none of us know your relationship with your brother. Only you do, and therefore only you can determine how "safe" it is to do this in terms of relationship damage.

19 hours ago, sissj said:

Untreated natural plants like da 420 = Good (or at least bettter than smoking)     

Smoking in general is not "good." Any smoke going into your lungs is inherently bad for you. But, smoking straight weed is less bad for you than cigarettes. 

I used to be quite active here.