RX 480 vs GTX 1060

GirlFromYonder
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Edited a few posts for aggressive language towards other users. Keep it fucking civil, folks. Thanks. :)

4 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

We actually, i video edit for fun.

Well now I feel justified in trying to push the importance of Cuda Cores. I assure you I am no fanboy of any company. I find what works for then advise based on my experiences.

Like I said, the best thing you can do is not pick AMD or Nvidia. Research and find out what card best runs your software and games :)

If you video edit recreationally, any AMD 390 and higher or Nvidia 970 and higher will meet your needs in the editing department. If you use software like 3DS max, Photoshop, and I believe even Premiere... Cuda Cores can help a lot. However, I understand Nvidia's hidden costs can be alerting such as SLI fees ect...

Best of luck! If you have any questions on video editing software, send me a message.

I do but not for fun and using really bad software.

HitFilm Express 4 is one of the best free editor available. I upgraded mine to the paid version and absolutely love it :)

oops, my bad. Yeah it's held 1350mhz but couldn't cross 1400mhz. If the Nitro is clocked at 1500MHz out of the box you'll be kicking yourself for getting a reference. I've been loyal to Sapphire for a reason, they have the best coolers bar none. So even if the rumors are false, the Nitro will still have a vastly superior cooler to the reference. And that backplate. Come on dude, that back plate is worth the wait.

I love sapphire too, but I also love my reference cards and won't be kicking myself. I like the sleek look and also love the fact they push their hot air outside of the case and not into my cpu cooler. 

I love sapphire too, but I also love my reference cards and won't be kicking myself. I like the sleek look and also love the fact they push their hot air outside of the case and not into my cpu cooler. 

Hey, I chose a Hybrid over a Lightning for the same reason so I'm not judging xD *IF* The rumors are true though in this case the Nitro is almost as far away from the reference 480 to be called a 490. Not even joking. I've seen reports of the Nitro 480 beating a Fury in everything and all things. The reference 480 barely beats a 970 even when Vulcan is used to give it a boost in Doom.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The reference 480 barely beats a 970 even when Vulcan is used to give it a boost in Doom.

They both cost $269 atm... and the OP's question was 480 or 1060. If the 1060 beats the 970 then I think he will have has answer ;)

But dang that Nitro 480 sounds sexy haha

3 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

They both cost $269 atm... and the OP's question was 480 or 1060. If the 1060 beats the 970 then I think he will have has answer ;)

But dang that Nitro 480 sounds sexy haha

I only used the 970 because that is what the tester used to test the Maxwell architecture. Not advising a 970. I didn't advise the 970 when it was relevant unless the person played only Gameworks titles xD 

20 minutes ago, App4that said:

oops, my bad. Yeah it's held 1350mhz but couldn't cross 1400mhz. If the Nitro is clocked at 1500MHz out of the box...

Doubt that cheese grater cooler able to dissipate ~280watt of heat. :P 
2825646.jpg

Great scaling though.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

19 minutes ago, App4that said:

Hey, I chose a Hybrid over a Lightning for the same reason so I'm not judging xD *IF* The rumors are true though in this case the Nitro is almost as far away from the reference 480 to be called a 490. Not even joking. I've seen reports of the Nitro 480 beating a Fury in everything and all things. The reference 480 barely beats a 970 even when Vulcan is used to give it a boost in Doom.

1500mhz would be sweet, but we will see. Might be a lot of heat being generated in a small area. I personally think we will see upper 1300's and mid to low 1400's when they really learn how to squeeze every last bit out of this chip.

As per Guru 3d's FireStrike results it looks like my single card run pushes past 390X and is just under R9 Nano. Edit: granted that is their base clocks vs my best overclock.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/radeon-rx-480-performance-benchmarks-with-16-7-1-driver.html

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9173913

4 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Doubt that cheese grater cooler able to dissipate ~280watt of heat. :P 

Great scaling though.

That's what I'm talking about. That would make the RX 480 worth owning.

The closest  we'll get for real benchmark comparison between 480 & 1060 is from the leaked benchmark guide.

12 minutes ago, gilang01 said:

it will take an RX 480 more than 1.2 V to reach 1450 MHz, let alone 1500 MHz. a 1.25 V RX 480 will eat 230 watts of power.  

(http://oc.jagatreview.com/2016/07/eksperimen-overvolting-amd-radeon-rx480-reference-model-dengan-msi-afterburner-i2c-console/)

Yeah, that guy from Chiphell need 1.3v for 1.5Ghz. Not sure how Polaris chip handle 1.3v for long period of time. No really a problem for GCN 1.1/1.0.

16 minutes ago, IGJoe2192 said:

1500mhz would be sweet, but we will see. Might be a lot of heat being generated in a small area. I personally think we will see upper 1300's and mid to low 1400's when they really learn how to squeeze every last bit out of this chip.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9173913

What is the core speed?

390x need over 1150/1600 to reach 14.4k GPU score in Firestrike i think.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

4 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

What is the core speed?

1390mhz

5 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

The closest  we'll get for real benchmark comparison between 480 & 1060 is from the leaked benchmark guide.

Yeah, that guy from Chiphell need 1.3v for 1.5Ghz. Not sure how Polaris chip handle 1.3v for long period of time. No really a problem for GCN 1.1/1.0.

What is the core speed?

well the RX 480 @1400 is r9 nano territory. Since Polaris scales pretty well (GCN lol), I bet @1500, It'll give the Fury X a run for its money 

Edited a few posts for aggressive language towards other users. Keep it fucking civil, folks. Thanks. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Personally I'm gonna wait for the reviews showing the performance between the 480 and 1060.

I'm sure we're gonna see a LOT of these reviews, that'll be interesting. Until then it's really just speculation.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, gilang01 said:

well the RX 480 @1400 is r9 nano territory. Since Polaris scales pretty well (GCN lol), I bet @1500, It'll give the Fury X a run for its money 

BUt the question is. how can i get to 1500 and use the clock for daily usage. 

Would i need the lottery winner

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 hour ago, DeezNoNos said:

Anything above the stated clock speed is a matter of luck, never plan on exceeding it.

5 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

Getting above 1400 MHz already requires copious amounts of voltage. I don't think anything above 1.25 on Polaris is safe

22 minutes ago, gilang01 said:

Getting above 1400 MHz already requires copious amounts of voltage. I don't think anything above 1.25 on Polaris is safe

It should be fine if you can cool it. Watercooling the 480 allows it to scale with more voltage. But if you don't control the temps, you might damage the chip.   

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

9 hours ago, App4that said:

I wouldn't call this barely. It's closer to the 1070 than it is to the 970. I think the reference is alright for most people who don't over clock anyway. (Stop trying to tell people not to buy reference. I don't need people fighting with me to get to the 1st nitro 480 stock?)

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, ivan134 said:

I wouldn't call this barely. It's closer to the 1070 than it is to the 970. I think the reference is alright for most people who don't over clock anyway. (Stop trying to tell people not to buy reference. I don't need people fighting with me to get to the 1st nitro 480 stock?)

thats because async is disabled for Nvidia cards. Honest. Been working this one all day. Use FXAA and it's a different story even using Vulcan because async is disabled on both cards. They linked async to the AA. Nvidia will fix it with a driver update. Won't help the 970 though. Really wish Doom had a canned benchmark so I could do some testing with my 980ti. Just to test Nvidia's claim the 980ti has async support. Check out Gamer Nexus, they have a great Video on this and an article. They should have a updated video covering the differences using the different AA options in the Vulcan build of Doom soon too. Great to see the 480 rocking it though. That cheered me up.

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

What do you care about? Direct X 11 or Direct X 12 And Vulkan? If it's former then buy the GTX 1060 and if it's the latter then buy the RX 480.

Why would a 1060 not be good for DX12?

12 hours ago, DeezNoNos said:

But why choose a 480 over a 970. U get better future proofing.

A 1070 would be preferable vs. a 970 too.  The 1070 is more powerful, uses less power, has more VRAM which along with better driver support into the future.

Also benchmarks have shown the 1070 to be roughly equal to a 980ti with each card doing slightly better depending on what game is being run.  So listing the 980 ti above the 1070 is flawed reasoning.