RX 480 vs GTX 1060

GirlFromYonder
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Edited a few posts for aggressive language towards other users. Keep it fucking civil, folks. Thanks. :)

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Ok.

So this is how things work in GPUs and CPUs.

Normally one year a company focuses on making a new architecture which has better performance

The next year they make a new architecture with the same deisgn as the previous one but built on a different manufacturing process.

I see.  So you mean that while there will likely be a 1080ti it will use the same design and manufacturing process as other 1000 series cards and so won't be any better for DX12?

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I see.  So you mean that while there will likely be a 1080ti it will use the same design and manufacturing process as other 1000 series cards and so won't be any better for DX12?

Yes it will use same manufacturing process and same architecture. SO it won't be better for DX 12.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

What is so hard to understand about DX12? Seriously? DX12 is not asynchronous compute. Asynchronous compute is a feature of DX12 that the developers are responsible for implementing, or not. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

What is so hard to understand about DX12? Seriously? DX12 is not asynchronous compute. Asynchronous compute is a feature of DX12 that the developers are responsible for implementing, or not. 

but it is the future right?

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Funny to see all those people say that the reference cooler of the RX480 is SHIT... yada yada.

Well as far as i concerned the Founders Editions coolers are just as shit.

As you can see trowing shit at one or the other company as fansboys allways do, doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

You should look at things objectivaly, wenn the GTX1060 gets out, we will see some compairissons on both cards.

Then we know which card is the best price to performance buy.

Till now there is totaly nothing too say about it.

10 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

It depends entirely on adoption. AMD have invested too much in GCN design to do any radical changes now, so a more accurate description is that Async Compute is the future for RTG - and RTG won't survive without it. Based on normal timelines of GPU design and production, Vega is probably a year away from launching. Honestly, its probably better that way because you don't want something that large launching right now, when only a few titles are using async compute effectively on GCN hardware. It works for the 480 because its a relatively inexpensive purchase, but even so its not enough right now to pull people away from the 1060. Until async compute is used widescale, its a marketing gimmick. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1060 vs 480 battle goes down in history as either a make or break moment for the survival of Radeon.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

16 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

It depends entirely on adoption. AMD have invested too much in GCN design to do any radical changes now, so a more accurate description is that Async Compute is the future for RTG - and RTG won't survive without it. Based on normal timelines of GPU design and production, Vega is probably a year away from launching. Honestly, its probably better that way because you don't want something that large launching right now, when only a few titles are using async compute effectively on GCN hardware. It works for the 480 because its a relatively inexpensive purchase, but even so its not enough right now to pull people away from the 1060. Until async compute is used widescale, its a marketing gimmick. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1060 vs 480 battle goes down in history as either a make or break moment for the survival of Radeon.

Is AMD really in that much trouble?

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

40 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Funny to see all those people say that the reference cooler of the RX480 is SHIT... yada yada.

Well as far as i concerned the Founders Editions coolers are just as shit.

As you can see trowing shit at one or the other company as fansboys allways do, doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

You should look at things objectivaly, wenn the GTX1060 gets out, we will see some compairissons on both cards.

Then we know which card is the best price to performance buy.

Till now there is totaly nothing too say about it.

Well but have u seen the quailty. Plastic and just a block of aluminum. 

Build

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

Is AMD really in that much trouble?

Not at the moment. It's just that they've locked themselves down a set path, and put all their eggs in one basket.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

Not at the moment. It's just that they've locked themselves down a set path, and put all their eggs in one basket.

i see.

Build

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

Well but have u seen the quailty. Plastic and just a block of aluminum. 

I doesnt matter if they perform just as shit.

Even if it was gold plated.

The shrout of aluminium vs plastic isnt going to improve cooling at all.

53 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

DX12 is one API, with many features. Our community is divided, it is separated by red and green because of the misconception that one is better than the other. What adds to the problem is multiple API features and builds making it easy to paint a picture that supports that idea, both ways. 

You ou run the settings that will get you the best performance? Right? So why would you expect a user of another card to use settings that hurt their performance? That's what biased benchmarks do though. They compare different cards without taking into consideration how each is effected by the settings used. 

Chill my brother. Nether company is in any danger and nether is out to get you. They'll both get away with what we allow them to get away with. Developers want to make money so will continue to make sure both companies are supported and vicariously you. I've been here since the beginning, this is a very exciting time to be a PC gamer. Enjoy it. Don't let brand loyalty have you more concerned with beating the opposing fans than enjoying the times we live in.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

20 hours ago, App4that said:

Hey, I chose a Hybrid over a Lightning for the same reason so I'm not judging xD *IF* The rumors are true though in this case the Nitro is almost as far away from the reference 480 to be called a 490. Not even joking. I've seen reports of the Nitro 480 beating a Fury in everything and all things. The reference 480 barely beats a 970 even when Vulcan is used to give it a boost in Doom.

God I hope that's true. That would be one hell of a factory overclock.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

36 minutes ago, App4that said:

DX12 is one API, with many features. Our community is divided, it is separated by red and green because of the misconception that one is better than the other. What adds to the problem is multiple API features and builds making it easy to paint a picture that supports that idea, both ways. 

You ou run the settings that will get you the best performance? Right? So why would you expect a user of another card to use settings that hurt their performance? That's what biased benchmarks do though. They compare different cards without taking into consideration how each is effected by the settings used. 

Chill my brother. Nether company is in any danger and nether is out to get you. They'll both get away with what we allow them to get away with. Developers want to make money so will continue to make sure both companies are supported and vicariously you. I've been here since the beginning, this is a very exciting time to be a PC gamer. Enjoy it. Don't let brand loyalty have you more concerned with beating the opposing fans than enjoying the times we live in.

U sir are AWESOME.U  PUT ME AT EASE CAMED ME DOWN

THANK U

Build

Spoiler