RX 480 vs GTX 1060

GirlFromYonder
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Edited a few posts for aggressive language towards other users. Keep it fucking civil, folks. Thanks. :)

1 hour ago, TriFlix Films said:

2 words: Cuda Cores... if all you want to do is game just get more Vram, but if you use your computer for ANYTHING that involves creation, you'll be better off getting Nvidia as Cuda cores outperforms more Vram in these applications.

If you stopped worshipping Nvidia you might notice how AMD does well in many industries which require Graphics. Such as medical environments, game development, gaming, video editing, content creation and more.

Edited by alpenwasser
language

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Here's a purported leaked official performance comparison chart of the GTX 1060 and RX 480:

http://videocardz.com/62122/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-official-performance-leaked

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

ok thank u i  might go that way after the gtx 1060 release

It's not all rainbows and puppies. I ran crossfire and the support was horrible. Always try and run a single graphics card when possible.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

It's not all rainbows and puppies. I ran crossfire and the support was horrible. Always try and run a single graphics card when possible.

ok, but i dont like nvidia. too expensive. pay for g-sync, pay for sli, pay for this, cripple older cards. 

I rather not go Nvidia. So what are my options

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 minute ago, TriFlix Films said:

2 words: Cuda Cores... if all you want to do is game just get more Vram, but if you use your computer for ANYTHING that involves creation, you'll be better off getting Nvidia as Cuda cores outperforms more Vram in these applications.

Unless you want compute power... The OP hasn't stated anything about using his PC for creation, I am under the assumption he wants to game. Nvidia is great at DX11 we see that, but like consoles (this is what AMD means when they bring up console gaming experience) DX12 and Vulkan appear to be heavy in compute shaders which AMD can leverage quite well not to mention they have the console market on lock down which means developers are designing games for their hardware, which means I would be more inclined to purchase their hardware for the optimizations coming our way. As you can clearly see most DX12 titles and now a Vulkan title are very well optimized for AMD hardware, but I figure you will turn a blind eye to this fact. have a nice day. 

3 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

ok, but i dont like nvidia. too expensive. pay for g-sync, pay for sli, pay for this, cripple older cards. 

1) Buy RX 480 8GB right now

2) Wait for RX 490.

3) Buy a Fury X or Nano right now

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

I didn't say go Nvidia, and trust me nether AMD nor Nvidia are innocent or your friend. They are both out to sell you cards and beat the rival company doing so. Don't ever fall into being a fan of ether. not worth it.

I'd at least wait for the Nitro 480 to hit, if your budget is less than 300 it might fit. See which card performs the best and go with it. Don't rely on red or green. In a month it will be much safer buying a graphics card.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

1) Buy RX 480 8GB right now

The reference 480 is a sucker bet, the board partners are releasing much better cards in the next few weeks. Very bad advice.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

The reference 480 is a sucker bet, the board partners are releasing much better cards in the next few weeks. Very bad advice.

Well i meant right now as in AIBs are releasing 3rd party PCBs like now.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you stopped worshipping Nvidia you might notice how AMD does well in many industries which require Graphics. Such as medical environments, game development, gaming, video editing, content creation and more.

AMD has made lots of great tech, and the RX 480 is a nice budget buy. But the Polaris lineup tops out around the performance of Nvidia's mid-entry card from the previous GPU generation, two years ago. AMD has simply failed to appear for this generation of graphics performance, and if you look at Raja from AMD's statements on why, it appears as though it was a case of laziness and a lack of passion and vision from AMD, and that AMD were banking on the powerful graphics market fazing out.

AMD was a cause of stagnation in GPU development, because they didn't think people would continue to be interested in high-quality graphics. So, they just re-released their 7970, 280x, 380x, with minimal performance increases, essentially wasting gamers' time and money, and holding progress back for everyone. What I gathered from Raja's comments, is that AMD doesn't seem to care about promoting and pushing great graphics, and just sees themselves as a supplier of goods, and will adjust their business according to their perception of demand for it - as opposed to driving people's perceptions by being passionate about the cause of making greater gaming graphics possible.

Edited by alpenwasser
language in quote

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well i meant right now as in AIBs are releasing 3rd party PCBs like now.

I'm a stickler for semantics. If the Nitro hits 1500mhz like the rumors say the reference design value will plummet.

5 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

Do you even know what CUDA CORES are for? Not everything is about gaming... a large portion of the Linus Community is content creators, VFX artists, and 3D models. More Vram won't save you when it comes to rendering cuda core based software. If anything this shows how slow AMD is that they just now came out with rival for 970 thats in the same price range. I am aware of the 390 but even it was outperformed in NON-Gaming benchmarks by the 970.

You don't have to a fanboy to pick Nvidia... just know what your software needs to run optimal.

This is a discussion for some where else. Not here. Majority of the people here play more games than content creation. Content creators go for cards with more cuda cores. And have you heard of software that uses OpenCL? No? Because my 280x decodes and renders the video previews faster than my 980Ti using OpenCL.

For them, their graphic cards choices aren't limited to just "970 because it has cuda cores". They will be looking at cards with more cuda cores. For example, a GTX 780 is faster than a 970 in blender cycles.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Lol. when you type "AMD RX 480" into Amazon and a Tesla card shows up :D.

rx.PNG

tesla.PNG

Best advice wait for prices to hit MSRP or just a really good deal as well as benchmarks.

I find it funny how everyone assumes the OP is a gamer but its outlandish to think is a 3D modeler... Look up your games and applications and see which card performs best in them. I do VERY little gaming and 90% of my computer is used for Advanced Video Editing, 3D modeling, VFX, Particle Simulations. AMD cards get outperformed in my applications by Nvidia.

Stating facts isn't being a fanboy, however ignoring facts with blind hate for a company is ignorance. Have a great day, hope my first sentence helps, OP.

P.S. I have no allegiance to a brand and am building a Hackintosh, the first Company to make a new gen card supported by OSX Sierra and a waterblock will have my money.

8 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

Just so you know, this is my 4th crossfire setup and they have gone as follows.  HD3870's, HD5970, HD7970Ghz and now RX480. As the other person has stated, yes it isn't all rainbows and butterflies. This is why in my statement, the games that I play run smoothly. It all depends on the titles you intend to play some have no support at all or poor integration and you can see a negative impact. A single powerful card currently is the best solution. A single RX480 is doing a great job at running my Asus MG279Q at good framerates with high settings and I know that this card will get better with time. Whatever decision you make I am sure you will be happy with whatever product you end up with.

@App4that What happened to the RX 480 price? Lol. And also, you can obviously see that "RX 480" is == "Core i7"

The RX 480s are all out of MSRP and are like $300-500 :(.

And Core i7s are now equals to a RX 480?

amazon.PNG

And @App4that You can even buy an R9 RX 480 LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! This is so stupid lol.

12 minutes ago, App4that said:

I personally disagree with this notion. The reference card is a good choice depending on your case setup and needs. With running crossfire on two reference cards vs two Vapor-X cards my system is more quiet and my cpu isn't saturated with heat from the GPU's causing its fans to speed up and create noise. Also I do know one of my cards hits 1390Mhz stable, EK also has waterblocks for it if I want to go down that road. I am also interested to see what the AIB partner cards can do.  

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

@App4that What happened to the RX 480 price? Lol. And also, you can obviously see that "RX 480" is == "Core i7"

The RX 480s are all out of MSRP and are like $300-500 :(.

And Core i7s are now equals to a RX 480?

Why I don't like to early adopt, unless it's Fallout then I run like a mad man into the fire.

This whole transition is an embarrassment to the hobby. We're going to have to have reviews with multiple APIs to be fair and both companies are pushing the product out way too soon.

2 minutes ago, IGJoe2192 said:

I personally disagree with this notion. The reference card is a good choice depending on your case setup and needs. With running crossfire on two reference cards vs two Vapor-X cards my system is more quiet and my cpu isn't saturated with heat from the GPU's causing its fans to speed up and create noise. Also I do know one of my cards hits 1390Mhz stable, EK also has waterblocks for it if I want to go down that road. I am also interested to see what the AIB partner cards can do.  

If the Nitro does hit 1500mhz it's not from cooling. The reference can't pass 1300mhz. Even liquid cooled.

10 minutes ago, TriFlix Films said:

Best advice wait for prices to hit MSRP or just a really good deal as well as benchmarks.

I find it funny how everyone assumes the OP is a gamer but its outlandish to think is a 3D modeler... Look up your games and applications and see which card performs best in them. I do VERY little gaming and 90% of my computer is used for Advanced Video Editing, 3D modeling, VFX, Particle Simulations. AMD cards get outperformed in my applications by Nvidia.

Stating facts isn't being a fanboy, however ignoring facts with blind hate for a company is ignorance. Have a great day, hope my first sentence helps, OP.

We actually, i video edit for fun.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

1 minute ago, App4that said:

If the Nitro does hit 1500mhz it's not from cooling. The reference can't pass 1300mhz. Even liquid cooled.

it reached 1400 mhz on actually hardcore overclocking's livestream. (it crashed at 1410)

Build

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

We actually, i video edit for fun.

I do but not for fun and using really bad software.

it reached 1400 mhz on actually hardcore overclocking's livestream. (it crashed at 1410)

oops, my bad. Yeah it's held 1350mhz but couldn't cross 1400mhz. If the Nitro is clocked at 1500MHz out of the box you'll be kicking yourself for getting a reference. I've been loyal to Sapphire for a reason, they have the best coolers bar none. So even if the rumors are false, the Nitro will still have a vastly superior cooler to the reference. And that backplate. Come on dude, that back plate is worth the wait.