AMD RX 480 Causing Faults For PC Gamers – PCIe Slots Have Died On High-End Boards

Mr_Troll
40 minutes ago, larsi239 said:

Yeah, the whole point of polaris was always touted as being the best fps per watt/per dollar budget GPU. But looking at the power draw, if I'm not mistaken, the card is as power hungry as a 1070, but performs like a 970...

If nvidia gets their pricing right with the 1060, AMD is really gonna have a struggle selling 480s in my mind - wich let's be real, is really not what us consumers need right now with NV already enjoying a very comfortable lead on AMD.

On note of the power consumption, the increased power efficiency from 14nm would've been from their own previous line up, not Nvidia's. It makes sense that we see the 480 at "150" watts TDP.

14 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

On note of the power consumption, the increased power efficiency from 14nm would've been from their own previous line up, not Nvidia's. It makes sense that we see the 480 at "150" watts TDP.

Thats still kinda sad.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

1 minute ago, Hunter259 said:

Thats still kinda sad.

Why? Because you expected it to be better than the 970's? All the die shrink was going to do was make 2*performance per watt. That's what happened. Not their fault it didn't reach it, it's what was going to happen regardless unless they completely dropped GCN and re-worked their whole architecture.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Why? Because you expected it to be better than the 970's? All the die shrink was going to do was make 2*performance per watt. That's what happened. Not their fault it didn't reach it, it's what was going to happen regardless unless they completely dropped GCN and re-worked their whole architecture.

Thats what I'm saying. Its sad that this is the level of performance they were able to produce at the same wattage as a 1070. Shows that GCN needs to be replaced.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

12 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Thats what I'm saying. Its sad that this is the level of performance they were able to produce at the same wattage as a 1070. Shows that GCN needs to be replaced.

I disagree with that. While I wouldn't have minded a bit more power saving myself, I'd much rather keep it, and have this efficiency gain. Why? The thing's as stubborn as an anime protagonist character. Look at the 780ti and 290. The 780ti beat the the 290 at launch, and now the opposite is true. I get that longevity, with Maxwell efficiency, which is still really solid, along with strong DX12 performance? I'd take that over more power efficiency any day.

GCN is probably the best long term plan ever from a gpu manufacturer. I mean even the 7970 from 2012 gets the benefits of driver updates and proper dx12 support

I knew those PCIe slots with those metal covers are a marketing gimmick.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

33 minutes ago, gilang01 said:

GCN is probably the best long term plan ever from a gpu manufacturer. I mean even the 7970 from 2012 gets the benefits of driver updates and proper dx12 support

Or the worst. If your card continues to perform great then why upgrade? The 7970 still performs pretty well (of course so does the 680)

8 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Or the worst. If your card continues to perform great then why upgrade? The 7970 still performs pretty well (of course so does the 680)

I don't think AMD or nVidia makes much of their money from frequent upgraders -- afterall, that's a fairly niche segment of the market. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

See here as to why this entire thing is bullshit

Not only was the source here WCCF, but their sources were random forum posts. All the articles have since been removed by WCCFTech which goes to show how they just tried to start drama out of nothing.

Also it's bullshit because 

Due to serious criticism, potential warnings from AMD's Legal Department, and this thread, all WCCFtech articles originally found inside this posting have been taken down. The articles of dispute no longer exist and WCCFtech has now changed policies to require more sources before posting potentially defamatory articles.

And:

Look into this post regarding the PCIe slot death on AMD Community forums. The person reset their ASRock 990FX Extreme 4 motherboard by clearing CMOS, and one PCIe port does not detect a GPU while the other does. It is not confirmed if the GTX 750ti the person popped into the PCIe port rendered it useless or the RX 480.

4 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

No reason it shouldn't be, it only needs a few more power phases to move the load off the pcie slot.

The number of power-phase has nothing to do with this issue oO

4 hours ago, Prysin said:

there is like 100+ posts of "dying motherboards" on AMD forusm and reddit by now.

i bet 99.99% of them are bullshit. Just like the fan speed bug where some AMD GPUs fans got locked at 20%. heaps of people claimed their GPUs died because of this. Yet only ONE case was proven to be real. The rest was bullshit.

Even a shitty mobo shouldnt immediatly die from a AMD GPU drawing a little bit more power over the PCIe. UNless they overclock the shit out of the GPU then start mining or folding for a whole fucking day.

But in that case, you did it because you KNEW that it had that bug and are trying to pull a scam in order to get a whole new system.

The number of time I accidently mined on a overvolted  7990 just to see it reach 105° in seconds(different gaming and mining settings) and not break because it just reboots your pc rather then damage itself. Yeah I highly doubt that's was a thing. as for PCIE slots, they're different. I guess one could go in their motherboard bios and fix a hard limit on how much wattage is available via the PCIE slot. I'm inclined to agree with you that 99% of those claims are bullshit.

7 minutes ago, mattebad said:

See here as to why this entire thing is bullshit

Not only was the source here WCCF, but their sources were random forum posts. All the articles have since been removed by WCCFTech which goes to show how they just tried to start drama out of nothing.

Also it's bullshit because 

And:

Doesn't prove it's bullshit, only that AMDs legal department have taken a rather large interest in something they claim doesn't exist. That might mean something or it might not. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'll just leave this here for how everything's going:

Play it whenever you're replying to someone about a point or making an argument.

pretty positive that those claims are BS, just some ppl who want to start shiet up

because if it had risk of destroying Mobos, the card would have never been certified

17 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Doesn't prove it's bullshit, only that AMDs legal department have taken a rather large interest in something they claim doesn't exist. That might mean something or it might not. 

It's called defamation, it's one thing to claim it over draws from the PCIE slot, it's another to claim it without any evidence whatsoever backing it up. This can extremely damage their launch if the accusations are false and they let them run wild. That wouldn't make sense for them to do

1 hour ago, Starelementpoke said:

Why? Because you expected it to be better than the 970's? 

Yes actually. You keep implying we shouldn't compare to Nvidia, why not? They're their direct fucking competitor it makes perfect sense to compare your products to those of your direct competitors. AMD don't like it? Get good.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I put on my robe and skepticism hat when I opened this thread. Surprisingly enough some of these seem pretty legit.

roquen22 used an ASRock 970 Extreme4 motherboard. That's a pretty old (probably 4-5 years by now) motherboard and it was not exactly high end back then. On top of that his RX 480 was overclocked on the core (although not overvolted and stock VRAM).

The person on overclock.net (the one with the Rampage IV Extreme motherboard) was using 3-way crossfire.

I would not be surprised if the majority of reports are fake, but it is worrying that some of them seem legitimate. I was expecting reports like these in 6+ months. Not 2 days.

What I also find interesting is that if these reports are true, and this is a major issue how did it get passed PCI-SIG certification, and AMD testing.

My tinfoil hat is making me wonder what's going on. AMD has been trying their darndest to get things right and claw back some market share, this is certainly now something they need.

I doubt they willfully did this as well, as it was sure to surface as all hardware issues do.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

time to mount various gpu's from both vendors spanning the past 5 years and see if this is an isolated incident.

and I'd like to know if anybody OC'ed the pci-e bus from within the bios and locked it.

9 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

What I also find interesting is that if these reports are true, and this is a major issue how did it get passed PCI-SIG certification, and AMD testing.

PCI-SIG does not (at least did not a few years ago) actually verify the power specifications.

Source:

It is worth noting however that while the PCI-SIG does have power specifications, they’re not a principal concern of the group and they want to avoid doing anything that would limit product innovation. While the 300W specification was laid out under the belief that a further specification would not be necessary, the PCI-SIG does not even test for power specification compliance under their current compliance testing procedures.  Conceivably the 6990 could be submitted and could pass the test, leading to it being labeled PCIe compliant. Of course it’s equally conceivable that the PCI-SIG could start doing power compliance testing if it became an issue…

That was when the 6990 launched and judging by this, nothing has changed.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

we keep hearing about mythical power inside GCN that's waiting to be unlocked yet

GCN has really good compute, well at least it did before pascal came along, gtx 970 is something like 3.5 teraflops while the r9 390 is 5 teraflops, this performance advantage has been shown in compute applications and direct x 12. Pascal does not look good for AMD. The gtx 1070 has 6.5 teraflops, while the RX480 has 5.8 teraflops and uses more power.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

I brought my cheap MSI 760 GM motherboard down to the lab, and confirmed that all five of the +12V pins were connected directly through an internal power plane to the ATX 24 pin connector just like Stefan1024 said. This means that these reports are most likely fake, and making a big deal out of nothing. 

Each pin is rated at 1.1 amps * 5 pins @12v = 66 Watts

Even if it drew 1.5 amps * 5 pins @12v = 90 Watts, it wouldn't cause enough heat build up to cause the connector to fail. I could calculate the temperature rise above ambient if it were to overload the connector, but it shouldn't cause a fire :).

`

4 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

GCN has really good compute, well at least it did before pascal came along, gtx 970 is something like 3.5 teraflops while the r9 390 is 5 teraflops, this performance advantage has been shown in compute applications and direct x 12. Pascal does not look good for AMD. The gtx 1070 has 6.5 teraflops, while the RX480 has 5.8 teraflops and uses more power.

Now I wonder how much of that is from the clock speed, rather than Pascal's IPC. And if we're talking TFLOPS, Fury X still beats it with 8.6 TFLOPS.

2 minutes ago, klh2000 said:

I brought my cheap MSI 760 GM motherboard down to the lab, and confirmed that all five of the +12V pins were connected directly through an internal power plane to the ATX 24 pin connector just like Stefan1024 said. This means that these reports are most likely fake, and making a big deal out of nothing. 

Each pin is rated at 1.1 amps * 5 pins @12v = 66 Watts

Even if it drew 1.5 amps * 5 pins @12v = 90 Watts, it wouldn't cause enough heat build up to cause the connector to fail. I could calculate the temperature rise above ambient if it were to overload the connector, but it shouldn't cause a fire :).

Should've taken pictures and such. No offense to you personally, for all we know you could be making this up.

5 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Should've taken pictures and such. No offense to you personally, for all we know you could be making this up.

Give me a minute...

`