AMD RX 480 Causing Faults For PC Gamers – PCIe Slots Have Died On High-End Boards

Mr_Troll

I hope this is fixed by the time I come to buy one in a fortnight or so. 

I was going to go for a reference card but I might go the aftermarket route now.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Here is the more likely scenario for most people on old boards: your rig just turns off:

But anyway AMD says they can driver fix it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I was going to go for a reference card but I might go the aftermarket route now.

I always avoid reference or revision 1 of anything. The only time I didn't follow this was when I got my two 290X's, should have waited as even on water they OC like utter rubbish.

Edit: Worse than other 290X's that is.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I don't get why people have such strong ties to a brand, pick your budget find the highest performing card at that price point and buy it. Who cares who's logo is on it.

Advantages of having a company you can stand behind speaks volume.

I would rather buy a product if the company has a good reputation than to buy a product that does the same thing, but the company is untrustworthy.

It's why people stand behind a brand, because if the brand has a good reputation, it's worth standing behind. Oppose to a business that doesn't keep their word, or their product just doesn't seem to be up to standards.

7 hours ago, Supermangik said:

Advantages of having a company you can stand behind speaks volume.

I would rather buy a product if the company has a good reputation than to buy a product that does the same thing, but the company is untrustworthy.

It's why people stand behind a brand, because if the brand has a good reputation, it's worth standing behind. Oppose to a business that doesn't keep their word, or their product just doesn't seem to be up to standards.

True I agree with this for many things, but for graphics cards not so much. Nvidia and AMD make very good reliable products that perform very similarly to each other at the same price points so at the end of the day it usually does come down to personal preference with the rare occasion that one brand does offer a clearly better product for it's price.

But I was actually more meaning the people with unjustified aggression rabidly sticking to a brand and attacking anyone else for not doing the same. If you have a preference that's great, you can even politely recommend it to other people and give reasons as to why, which is what people want and is actually helpful.

Also in the gaming market segment reference cards are the minority as people know if there are going to be any issues it will be with these and play the wait and see tactic, this being a clear case of why this is a wise thing to do.

I myself always buy ASUS, G.Skill, Samsung/WD and EKWB but I'd be more than happy to recommend Gigabyte for example to someone. 

15 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I prefer Nvidia cards but the supposed respectable performance and good price of the RX 480 make it very tempting to get and try out.  That being said I won't touch it with a 10 foot stick until I I'm 100% certain it won't break something.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

True I agree with this for many things, but for graphics cards not so much. Nvidia and AMD make very good reliable products that perform very similarly to each other at the same price points so at the end of the day it usually does come down to personal preference with the rare occasion that one brand does offer a clearly better product for it's price.

But I was actually more meaning the people with unjustified aggression rabidly sticking to a brand and attacking anyone else for not doing the same. If you have a preference that's great, you can even politely recommend it to other people and give reasons as to why, which is what people want and is actually helpful.

Also in the gaming market segment reference cards are the minority as people know if there are going to be any issues it will be with these and play the wait and see tactic, this being a clear case of why this is a wise thing to do.

I myself always buy ASUS, G.Skill, Samsung/WD and EKWB but I'd be more than happy to recommend Gigabyte for example to someone. 

Is there something wrong with Gigabyte?  Or you just mean you prefer other brands but you'd be ok suggesting Gigabyte even though you personally don't prefer it?

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

I always avoid reference or revision 1 of anything. The only time I didn't follow this was when I got my two 290X's, should have waited as even on water they OC like utter rubbish.

Edit: Worse than other 290X's that is.

Would the version of the GTX 1070 and 1080 that EVGA, Gigabyte, etc. have released currently be the revision 1 you're talking about?

Do companies making non-reference versions of graphics cards usually release updated/revised versions of their cards?

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is there something wrong with Gigabyte?  Or you just mean you prefer other brands but you'd be ok suggesting Gigabyte even though you personally don't prefer it?

No, Gigabyte make excellent products but I would buy ASUS. A lot of that is purely that their boards colour match my case :P. Also EKWB only have full monoblock water blocks for the top end X79/X99 ASUS motherboards, no other brand.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No, Gigabyte make excellent products but I would buy ASUS. A lot of that is purely that their boards colour match my case :P. Also EKWB only have full monoblock water blocks for the top end X79/X99 ASUS motherboards, no other brand.

I was a little worried there for a second. Maybe you can see why? ? lol

Yes I'm aware my cable management sucks.  I don't know how to do it correctly.  ?

image.jpeg

Edited by Bleedingyamato

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Would the version of the GTX 1070 and 1080 that EVGA, Gigabyte, etc. have released currently be the revision 1 you're talking about?

Do companies making non-reference versions of graphics cards usually release updated/revised versions of their cards?

Honestly not too read up on those as I'm not looking to buy yet but from what I can tell these are all based of the reference PCB:

• EVGA GeForce GTX 1080    08G-P4-5180
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION    08G-P4-6180
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ACX 3.0    08G-P4-6181
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0    08G-P4-6183

These look like custom PCB designs:

• EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT GAMING ACX 3.0    08G-P4-6284
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0    08G-P4-6286

Edit: Remember I could quite easily be wrong and I only looked at EVGA.

Edited by leadeater

10 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I was a little worried there for a second. Maybe you can see why? ? lol

image.jpeg

Broseph, that cable management...it's got me all wired up. ;)

10 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Broseph, that cable management...it's got me all wired up. ;)

I know.  I know.  It's bad.  lol

I'm open to tips for fixing it if you have any.  

On ‎2016‎.‎07‎.‎01‎. at 9:03 PM, Curufinwe_wins said:

Not really a repost... This article is stating people have already been having issues, the previous one was showing the potential for issues was there.

@Prysin That was fast...

so it's like a developing story...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

29 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I know.  I know.  It's bad.  lol

I'm open to tips for fixing it if you have any.  

Haha, no worries.  I've done quick and dirty before.  Best advice I can give you is use zip ties and straight lines.  Which case? Also,  run the cables behind the motherboard tray so that you don't have to see the mess.  You should only have a couple inches of each cable visible.  Run the cpu 8 pin behind the mobo and out the hole at the top closest to the receptor.  Run your 24 pin out of the big oval hole next to the plug, same with the usb 3.0 header. Shove everything you're not using back there and zip tie it so it doesn't bulk up, or take them out if it's modular.  

Front

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=127

Back

Yesterday a guy live streamed trying to power mod the Rx 480 and he found some interesting stuff. The 6 pin connecter had 3 ground cables where it should have been 2 only. Also half of the VRM for the GPU is connected to the 6 pin and the other is to the MB slot.  AUX power and VRM for the memory is also connected to the MB,  he fails to mod the card given the complexity of the controller and it's small pins/contacts managing only 1410 OC after adding few capacitors to the PCB. 

I'm not sure what this means interms of fix but I doubt it's gonna be without preformnce hit.  

Live stream: 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

I myself always buy Asus

I can see half this forum hanging you on the hill for buying an Asus GPU!

Most of those aggressive people are the one who had an AMD GPU in their first PC and feel obligated to continue this trend forever.

For Nvidia fanboy it's just  because nvidia has a better image even if it isn't a better brand.

As you said they offer similar products with amd generally charging less for theirs, and the driver improvements aside as well. That puts them on equal grounds.

However, I myself will buy an RX 480 without even looking at the 1060, because it'll be cheaper and at the end of the day the cards will perform similarly, but mostly also because they have a different philosophy, and you can't put a price on that :)

On 01/07/2016 at 2:18 PM, Prysin said:

there is like 100+ posts of "dying motherboards" on AMD forusm and reddit by now.

i bet 99.99% of them are bullshit. Just like the fan speed bug where some AMD GPUs fans got locked at 20%. heaps of people claimed their GPUs died because of this. Yet only ONE case was proven to be real. The rest was bullshit.

Even a shitty mobo shouldnt immediatly die from a AMD GPU drawing a little bit more power over the PCIe. UNless they overclock the shit out of the GPU then start mining or folding for a whole fucking day.

But in that case, you did it because you KNEW that it had that bug and are trying to pull a scam in order to get a whole new system.

Just downvolt it and you'll be golden, people are overclocking 480s to 1350mhz on a 1150 mV vddc, 1315 on 1100 mV. Not only that but it will run much cooler doing so too depending on the load.

Example: My 7990 reaches 98°+ under load while mining at it's stock 1200 mV vddc and "only" 80° at 1125 mV.

25 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I agree with the explantion in this video that the problem is exaggerated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFuYc2FHgjw

Yep completely agree. Everyone seems to miss the actual point and keeps coming back to the excuse that the known cards in the past that have done this are not reference, it does not matter that isn't actually relevant to the issue that people are claiming there is.

The claim is that exceeding the 75W spec will damage motherboards, who and how a card is made that exhibits this is not really the issue. It does not excuse AMD from the design flaw but ignoring the fact that this has been going on well before the RX 480 is disingenuous.

Existing cards have and still are using more than 75W average from the PCI-E slot, people are just looking harder now days and being more critical which isn't necessarily a bad thing either but at least be truthful and open about the issue with full context of past and present.

12 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Haha, no worries.  I've done quick and dirty before.  Best advice I can give you is use zip ties and straight lines.  Which case? Also,  run the cables behind the motherboard tray so that you don't have to see the mess.  You should only have a couple inches of each cable visible.  Run the cpu 8 pin behind the mobo and out the hole at the top closest to the receptor.  Run your 24 pin out of the big oval hole next to the plug, same with the U.S. 3.0 headed. Above everything your not using back there and zip tie it so it doesn't bulk up, or take them out if it's modular.  

Front

Back

It's a NZXT Phantom 240.  The problem is that the oval opening next to the sata plugs on the motherboard is mostly blocked by the cables for my HDD, SSDs, and optical drive sticking out sideways towards the front of the case.  This prevents me from making full use of that opening for cable management.  

8 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It's a NZXT Phantom 240.  The problem is that the oval opening next to the sata plugs on the motherboard is mostly blocked by the cables for my HDD, SSDs, and optical drive sticking out sideways towards the front of the case.  This prevents me from making full use of that opening for cable management.  

The bottom oval looks to be blocked, but the top cable management hole is free in the picture you posted. You can also get right angle sata cables that won't take up so much of the cutout.

10 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Most of those aggressive people are the one who had an AMD GPU in their first PC and feel obligated to continue this trend forever.

The first GPU I can remember using was a Matrox G200, don't remember what I had before that but it was useless lol. The G200 was awesome, it allowed me to play Diablo II so it's the best GPU ever made :P.

Interestingly enough Matrox use AMD GPUs on some of their cards atm and Matrox specialize in broadcast TV, medical imaging, digital signage and large multi monitor grids.

35 minutes ago, 3DOSH said:

Yesterday a guy live streamed trying to power mod the Rx 480 and he found some interesting stuff. The 6 pin connecter had 3 ground cables where it should have been 2 only. Also half of the VRM for the GPU is connected to the 6 pin and the other is to the MB slot and the VRM for the memory is also connected to the MB,  he fails to mod the card given the complexity of the controller and it's small pins/contacts managing only 1410 OC after adding few capacitors to the PCB. 

I'm not sure what this means interms of fix but I doubt it's gonna be without preformnce hit.  

I'll link the live stream when I find the link

They'll have to underbody their cards like many people have done, and that's doable via drivers  since it's doable via watt man. That should lower the overall power consumption without affecting performance, and that should limit the performance impact of any other fix I guess.